Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

snakes

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

snakes

Postby kyle18 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:00 pm

ok we are originally from LONG ISLAND N.Y. - BEEN HERE IN N.C. for 3 yrs. we now have snakes in and around the yard [ poisonus and non posinous ] has anyone ever delt with this situation ???
kyle18

Re: snakes

Postby Lightening Bug » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Well yes I have we have black snakes, no problem, but copperheads are lethal.

Now you didn't say much, where are the poisons ones. A particular location of plants that might be harboring them?

Need more info. With some places warming up the critters are moving up North .

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby rkunsaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:02 am

We have lots of rat snakes. A 7 foot one has taken up residence in the shop building. I also see a few king snakes and very few others.
rkunsaw

Postby REt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 am

Lightening Bug wrote:Well yes I have we have black snakes, no problem, but copperheads are lethal.

Now you didn't say much, where are the poisons ones. A particular location of plants that might be harboring them?

Need more info. With some places warming up the critters are moving up North .

Take care. :D

It is extremely rare or almost nonexistent for someone to die from a copperhead bite.
Ret don't see one a year here good
REt

Postby Alias » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 am

Snakes are by nature, more afraid of you than you should be of them. Usually, they strike, (Bite), when they are suddenly exposed to, or, surprised by, foot traffic. So, the key is to walk hard and carry a big stick, whacking the ground as you walk. Another thing you should remember is that the term about a snake in the grass is a for real truism. For, snakes do crawl in grass and the grass doesn't have to be very tall to conceal a grown Copperhead or a rattlesnake.

Another thing you should remember is that baby (Small) copperheads and Rattlers are reported to be more deadly than the adults. So, don't let your kids play with them.

Finally, it has been reported that cotton mouths, (Moccasins), range from the dismal Swamps in Virginia to all states to the south. So, if you like wading in the streams, be sure there are none present in the water.

I was born in north-western N.C. and live within 40 miles of my birthplace until I was about 18. And, in all that time I never heard of anyone there dying from snakebite. However, There are always exceptions so don't take any chances............gfp
Alias

Postby screamer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am

We had a springer spaniel that must have hunted and killed over 100 snakes in his life. Cochise was hell on snakes. It aggravated me that he would kill them indiscriminately though.
screamer

Postby Danny in CO » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 am

There is a product called Snake Away that claims to keep snakes away without hurting pets. I have tried it here in Arkansas and have not seen any snakes since. However, I seldom saw them before I put it out.
Danny in CO

Postby Coffee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 am

Grandma told me early on, "watch where you step." I still do watch where I step. Didn't have to look down all the time when I lived in Madison lol. We've had good numbers of snakes here this summer- all harmless. I don't know how you people in lower latitudes put up with copperheads, rattlers, cottonmouths, etc. Australia must be even worse!
Coffee

Postby wallsal55 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Now I know where not to travel ! I heard they like piles stacked around your foundation of your home, garage. Nice debris gathers, dark, right temperature--- so clear those piles & stacks away.
wallsal55

Postby GazaGuru » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

You guys have nothing to worry about. I live in a country that has 9 out of 10 of the worlds most dangerous snakes. In spring, summer and early autumn/fall we see about one a week.

Wylie
GazaGuru

Postby screamer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:50 pm

several years ago on a summer evening, I caught a snake on the farm. Kind of grayish, maybe 3 feet long. I held it down with a stick and grabbed it at the back of it's head. The snake wrapped itself around my arm and I did what I always do, carried the snake out the drive way and dropped it in the culvert across the street. That culvert leads down the other hill and to a city water reservoir. So I am carrying the snake to the culvert and when I top the small hill, I see a police car stopped in the end of the driveway. I just keep on walking along the side of the gravel. When I get up to the car, I ask the officer if I can help him in any way. (he was way out of jurisdiction. He looked up and asked if a well known neighbor hood thief lives up the road three doors and I replied yes and pointed up the hill to the house. He must have seen the snake because as I turned back to him, the police car window was going up. When it got up to almost closed, he called out, "What are you doing with that snake?" Oh I am gonna put it in the culvert over there, and by that time I was across the narrow road and dropped the snake down the hole. I walked back to my driveway and the police car window was back down. "What kind of snake was that?" he asked. "Dunno" I replied. "You don't know if it was poisonous?" he asked. "Nope." I said and went on " Doesn't matter all snakes I catch at my place get dropped in that culvert." He just got the most puzzled look I ever saw.
screamer

Postby GazaGuru » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Saw a snake crawling along my front fence yesterday evening. Probably looking for mice as it's spring on this side of the big pond.

Wylie
GazaGuru

Postby mowmud » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:22 pm

I would go with GazaGurus advice. What we consider mean and nasty... they have for breakfast. Australia is lousy with snakes. Pit vipers, and if I'm correct, the fastest snake in the world. Can't remember the name, but it is poisonous too.

Listen to Wile. What is that fast moving snakes name?
mowmud

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Not sure Mowmud - cobra and mumba come to mind. :D now that I think about it, probably not cobra.
Lightening Bug

Postby mowmud » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Yup. Mamba. I got my continent wrong though. The Mamba is an African snake.

Australia don't care though... they have plenty more... almost as poisonous and fast. Not to mention the critters that aren't snakes. Could you imagine trying to camp out down there... no guns and all. Makes no sense to me.
mowmud

Next

Return to General Discussion