Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

stupid wins every time

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

stupid wins every time

Postby REt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:09 am

Been getting up when bedroom is dark for 18 years Never missed finding the door. I have been on coumidin for a month and a half now and was told to be careful to not hurt myself.
Monday morning in the dark walked to the doorway, and I miscalulated somehow and ran into corner of my dresser with my arm. I ripped a gash about 5 or six inches long on my arm. I knew it wasn't good. Not real deep but it is wide. Put a long pad on it and taped it up
and later had my dr bandage it. He said this will take a long long time to heal and change bandage every day. I figure it will cost me about $10 a week in medical supplies. I bought two night lights yesterday for less than $5.
Ret
REt

Re: stupid wins every time

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am

Is the coumidin supposed to help with blood clots? Did your MD tell you to drink more water? That's supposed to help prevent blood clots too.

Hope you heal quickly and will be okay. It's good you went to the MD, Hopefully with the night lights you'll avoid running into things.

Some medications cause balance problems but that doesn't sound like what you have experienced.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby REt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 am

coumidin is the most widely use drug for blood thinning. There are others out there, but it is inexpensive. Course, you got to go have an anticoagulant center check you on a regular basis
We shall see
ret
REt

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am

I use duct tape myself.

You have to be at an age ... when you know what is gonna happen.

Have you ever wanted to do something, that folks said couldn't be done?
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

Here's a great true story about how sick cows, a farmer and a researcher helped to develop the drug coumidin:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... aving-drug
Bkeepr

Postby REt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 am

Bkeepr wrote:Here's a great true story about how sick cows, a farmer and a researcher helped to develop the drug coumidin:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... aving-drug

thanks Tom. That was interesting
Ret
REt

Postby screamer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm

I have been on some medicine that gives me headaches almost every afternoon. I know there are newer headache remedies on the market, but plain old aspirin has always worked for me. Mrs., a registered nurse warned me about taking aspirin instead of tylenol. Well, my dog got all excited and jumped up against my arm and scratched me. I bled like a stuck pig and had trouble getting it to stop. Well no more aspirin or me for a while.
screamer

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:48 pm

I've heard an old wives tale that states that a person having a heart attack can be helped with a crushed up aspirin dissolved in a small cup or water. I don't know if its true or not as I've never had or been around the situation. Any thoughts?
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Well, mowmud, I have heard that advice, too, and if it came to that, and I had presence of mind, I'd probably try it. I've heard a doctor tell somebody to take an aspirin before a long car ride. I take one baby-size aspirin every day and have done it for so long, I'd never stop now. No going back. Now the disclaimer: I'm not giving medical advice here.
REt, hope you heal quickly.
Coffee

Postby Alias » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:00 am

Lightening Bug wrote:Is the coumidin supposed to help with blood clots? Did your MD tell you to drink more water? That's supposed to help prevent blood clots too.

Take care and be well. :D

LB, Ole REt, drinks a lot of water but, if is usually colored and has a about a 14 percent alcohol level. That's why his face is so red that he lights up like the ones shown below.

........ :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: .............gfp
Alias

Postby REt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:34 am

I can't afford the 14% stuff, more like 11. Cut that down too. By the way George, what numbers does your wife try to keep her clotting level at? Mine are 2 to 3

Ret
REt

Postby old geezer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:45 pm

screamer wrote:I have been on some medicine that gives me headaches almost every afternoon. I know there are newer headache remedies on the market, but plain old aspirin has always worked for me. Mrs., a registered nurse warned me about taking aspirin instead of tylenol. Well, my dog got all excited and jumped up against my arm and scratched me. I bled like a stuck pig and had trouble getting it to stop. Well no more aspirin or me for a while.

Be carefull of all medicines . My dr insisted I take the low dose coated aspirin . I took it for about 3 years and a month or two ago my nose started bleeding and when I told the dr he immediately took me off of aspirin. I have been to the emergency room twice in the past several months and I tested positive for blood in the stool . Was scoped and they can't find where it's coming from . There is about 25-30 feet of intestines they can't scope between the 2 starting points. My guess is I have bleeding ulcers they can't check . Tylenol is not as safe as they claim . It's hard on your liver as well as asprin and the other pain Meds .
old geezer

Postby Alias » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:49 pm

REt wrote:I can't afford the 14% stuff, more like 11. Cut that down too. By the way George, what numbers does your wife try to keep her clotting level at? Mine are 2 to 3

Ret

The same, between 2 and 3.
Alias

Return to General Discussion