Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Scratch plow and moulderboard plow?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Scratch plow and moulderboard plow?

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:19 pm

I recently read Caesars Foot print. In one part the author says if one looks at the shape of a farm during Roman times you would find it was square because the scratch plow was used. He says the shape of farms changed to a rectangle when moulderboard plows were used.

The reason he gives is the scratch plow has to go first one direction and then again plow perpendicular to the first. Whereas the moulderboard plow just needs to plow in one direction.

Thought I'd ask if anyone knows if this is accurate?

Thanks, take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Scratch plow and moulderboard plow?

Postby Red Dave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Scratch plows are way, way before my time, but I've plowed a lot of acres with a Moldboard Plow. The majority of them with a two bottom IH #8 (Little Genius) trailer plow and there was no "standard" field shape. I've plowed square fields, rectangular fields, "L" shaped fields, "S" shaped fields, triangular fields, half-round fields and fields with shapes that don't even have a name.

Around here, the shape of a field is determined more by the shape of the hills and rocks than by what kind of plow might be used. Most farms around here were first worked with horses, mules or oxen in the late 1600's/early 1700's. Farmers had to make fields by clearing ground as best they could. Mostly by muscle power. They had no means to change the contour of the land, they just worked what was there as best they could.

Now out in the mid-west they laid out the land in square sections of 640 acres each, but they didn't have the hills, valleys and forests to deal with like we have here. I doubt that the type of plow entered into the shape of fields there either. They went for easy surveying.
Red Dave

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks Red Dave I appreciate your post. I'd never heard of a scratch plow before either.

Guess the plowing techniques used over there had something to do with the smaller plots of land they were farming.

Wonder why the author called or rather spelled the plow moulder board, not mold board.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Red Dave » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Lightening Bug wrote:Thanks Red Dave I appreciate your post. I'd never heard of a scratch plow before either.

Guess the plowing techniques used over there had something to do with the smaller plots of land they were farming.

Wonder why the author called or rather spelled the plow moulder board, not mold board.

Take care. :D

The British and Canadians spell it Mouldboard, we spell it Moldboard, but I've never seen one called a Moulderboard.
Red Dave

Return to General Discussion