Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

squirrel question

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

squirrel question

Postby kyle18 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 pm

those of you who love squirrels don`t read this post - i have a nice garden and want to do corn this year and DON`T WANT any squirrels near it - i have 2 have a heart traps set 24/7 - now i have 3 rat traps with peanut butter in them for weeks now every nite they get sprung and the peanut butter eaten clean
i am at a lost and don`t say deer cause there would have been tracks

Re: squirrel question

Postby Texas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm

I would say snails or slugs are eating the peanut butter.

Postby Lightening Bug » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Maybe get a dog and train it to chase or hunt squirrels.

hen we raised corn we didn't have to much trouble with squirrels, here it's the deer. And they decimate soybeans! They're like tall, large mice.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Salmoneye » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Never seen a Squirrel go after growing corn...

Coons, possums, and skunks, yes...

Location: The Spooky House At The End Of The Lane With Grass Growing Down The Middle

Postby mowmud » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 pm

I think it would take a big ace snail or slug to trip a trap. I agree with them being attracted to peanut butter though.

Maybe utilize your rat traps a bit different. Try a dorito, and put it in after you get the trap set. Use one corn chip strategically placed under the trigger. That way no matter which way the critter grabs it, it will get caught. Watch your digits when your setting it though.

Side note: I don't get critters too often but I keep a couple traps around just to make me feel better. Whelp, about a month ago I went over into my poorly lit side of my basement and encountered one. Yep, just had my slippers on, the slippers are pretty durable but no match for the rat trap. Right on top of my big toe. Hurt, wow! Lesson learned: Turn on a dang light.

Postby mowmud » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

There is always the spinning wheel of death. Got a 5 gallon bucket? Depends on how bad you want them gone and how many. The spinning wheel of death doesn't care how many there is. Works best if you empty once in awhile, gets too deep they start jumping out.

Postby mowmud » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm

I can't find the post here. Im'a go search the tube. Found it. Same premise, you'll just need to beef it up for squirrel. Very efficient. You ain't gotta worry about a toe getting stuck in them.

The ramps are what makes the whole thing work.

Return to General Discussion