Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Well I've never read him before but ....

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Well I've never read him before but ....

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 pm

What can I say. This fella has run road trips that boggle the mind, P, J. O' Rourke.

Have your read his stories. I didn't know he wrote/writes about cars.

Take a look at someone who thinks Non PC. And thinks that the best car is one that rips of at as fast as it can.

I have to admit I bought cars that didn't run fast. Cause I knew, like him, I loved speed.

What is the fastest you will admit to, you have driven and where. The Nevada desert was great. Umm, I won't tell you the speed I went. It was great fun. My Daughter was in the car so I wouldn't blow the doors off.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5860713-driving-like-crazy

Maybe that's why they want us to have electric cars? First the cars use electricity and then we're told how we can drive. Lose our control of where we go and when.

Just some thoughts.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Well I've never read him before but ....

Postby Coffee » Thu May 17, 2018 6:51 am

I have driven 80 on I-80, out in Nebraska, back in the old days, and never any faster. 80 was close to the speed limit, if I remember right. Keep up with the traffic. You see more, when you go slowly. I read about 10 of the mini-reviews of the book. It seemed, if you are interested in drugs and fast driving, that would be your type of book. If someone is in the hospital, recuperating for a while, this book might be a good one to get one's mind off one's troubles for a while. I do like travel books, road trip books, where the author attempts to converse with locals in the restaurant down on Main St., or the café where two highways intersect, or the farmers' market, etc., get a feel for the history of the area, injustices that happened there, and injustices that are happening now. Okay, "sermon" over. Thank you for taking the time to post about this book, Lightening Bug.
Coffee

Postby Texas » Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 am

My F350 Power Stroke has been "deleted". No emissions bs, no more DEF. I've had it up 140 mph. Wouldn't recommend it but I did it just to see.
We have a lot of highways and interstates in Texas with 80 mph speed limits which means everyone drives 85 or 90. Most of those roads are straight and stretch to the horizon but it doesn't take much of a curve to ruin your day at 90 mph.

Red
Texas

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 am

Coffee this article does a good job covering P. J. O' Rourke's book. I didn't find the book as hilarious as this author did, but I did read more than one humorous section to Stony Jim. I don't recall him talking about drug use. But when he was young he and his friends/co-drivers left a mountain of empty liquor bottles behind wherever they went.

I think the article below does a good job describing his book. I almost didn't read the book until I realized he was putting an article he had written when he was young. Which he followed in the next chapter by discussing how his thinking had changed or how he disagreed with his younger self.

Or, more accurately, go back in time about 30 years and take them away. That’s the span covered by the writing collected in “Driving Like Crazy,” whose sprawling subtitle is all you would need to indict this aggressively conservative libertine gonzo satirist for crimes against humanity’s habitat. Presumably O’Rourke made it so long in the hope that a few extra forests’ worth of trees would have to die to print it.

Yes, this book is a monument to slash-and-burn living, glorifying old cars whose miles-per-gallon ratings read like shoe sizes and indulgent off-road races conducted in fragile terrain. The thing is, you’ll hardly hear the cries of the rare lizards and cactuses being ground to extinction under O’Rourke’s tires because you’ll be laughing too hard. Sure, he’s personally responsible for the impending death of our race and planet, but at his best, as he is for about two-thirds of this volume, the guy’s hilarious.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/books/review/Genzlinger-t.html

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Red Dave » Thu May 17, 2018 9:36 am

I've read several articles by P.J. O'Rourke. His humor is a bit of an acquired taste, but his observations on humanity and society are often insightful.

One of his quotes:
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is philosophy of sniveling brats." - P.J. O'Rourke
Red Dave

Postby Lightening Bug » Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

Seeing he used to be a lib eral, that's an interesting definition. When I picked up the book I was hoping he'd talk some about his transition to Libertarianism and how it transpired, nope nada.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Coffee » Sat May 19, 2018 6:16 am

Here is an older, more thoughtful quote: "In each human heart are a tiger, a pig, an ass and a nightingale. Diversity of character is due to their unequal activity." Ambrose Bierce. quotabulary.com
Coffee

Postby wallsal55 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:41 am

I like that quote Coffee. Knew a lot of kids that way growing up. I always kept looking for the nightengale part. I always knew it was there somewhere. Just didn't know why it was buried so deep.
wallsal55

Return to General Discussion