Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

An early real pot of coffee

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

An early real pot of coffee

Postby Coffee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 am

Dakota got up a little after five this morning. Usually we don't get up until 6 thirty or so. So instead of instant coffee, I made drip grind type coffee in the coffee machine. Later on I'll put the grounds around a blueberry bush.
Watched a video on "youtube" last evening about a woman a few years younger than I, living in a car, it looked like in a desert area of the U.S., in a camper type campground. It was about 20 minutes long. Her income was about $800 a month (Social Security). She described her car, her pots and pans, heat source, etc. The "youtube" comments were interesting, ranging from sad situation, who wouldn't want to take this lady to a restaurant to get pancakes and coffee, to, oh, she is not passive and she looks fine. Besides, she has community around her. My opinion is, it is not acceptable that a woman should have to live in a car. I hope Habitat For Humanity or some such organization can build real homes for people in this situation. Certainly wishful thinking.
Other videos I've looked at on "youtube:" "Videos of Anais Mitchell why we build the wall," 10/22/16 by Live from Here, 4:18 and the old song, "Mary Hays' Scotch Measure" (by a couple different artists, Scottish landscapes so beautiful!), and long videos, "Pilot's view // Airbus A380 Lufthansa First Approach and Landing at San Francisco Airport," and "Pilotseye tv Departure." So you get both landing and takeoff from San Francisco. Good day now. Mark.
Coffee

Re: An early real pot of coffee

Postby Coffee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:13 pm

About the lady living in a car, there's an update video. The lady's name is Dee, she now has a cargo trailer (plus her car) to live in, is age 65, doesn't want pity, and lives a "nomad" lifestyle.
Then there is this: superfood called moringa. It is a tree that grows in Hawaii, Mexico, Africa. Video calls it a "miracle tree." It is said to be almost a perfect source of nutrients. "Moringa Documentary" on "youtube." Diabetes related :?:
Coffee

Postby screamer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Some people get peanuts from social security because they worked under the table most of their lives, or were self employed in a cash business and never paid in, or paid the minimum to qualify for the lowest payment. It is like failing to save money. Some folks have social security, pensions and 401Ks, because they saved. There are always hard luck stories. Knew a fellow that worked for a family business his entire life. He turned 65 an found out his uncle, always did the guys taxes and showed a loss. He never paid in and did not get any social security.
screamer

Postby Coffee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Yeah, this lady, Dee, said she went through a divorce, and had some health problem, with her thyroid, if I remember right. It takes almost a lifetime to get where she was in life. $800 a month to me is close to peanuts, but better than nothing. She had a small dog with her and said she wanted to live the rest of her life in the cargo trailer.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion