Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

"Useless" majors

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

"Useless" majors

Postby Coffee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:27 am

From "thedailybeast.com" the 13 most useless majors, from philosophy to journalism:
1. Fine Arts
2. Drama & Theater Arts
3. Film, Video, & Photographic Arts
4. Commercial Art & Graphic Design
5. Architecture
6. Philosophy & Religious Studies
7. English Literature & Language
8. Journalism
9. Anthropology & Archeology
10. Hospitality Management
11. Music
12. History
13. Political Science & Government

I think part of the reason these areas were considered "useless" was maybe 10% of recent graduates in these majors were unemployed, or unemployed in their field. Of course, that would mean 90% were employed. I guess I would suggest, in a respectful way, the above list is sort of "useless," but something to think about. Most everybody I know majored in some of these fields, with a few exceptions.
Coffee

Re: "Useless" majors

Postby Red Dave » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:05 am

Back when my oldest daughter graduated from college, they announced each graduates name and course of study.

I was amazed at the number of graduates with degrees in "Women's Studies". I had been studying girls, then women since I was about 14 years old, and I know what goes on at college, but I had never heard of getting a degree in it. I can only imagine the kind of job that degree would be a qualify a person for.

I think I was born too soon.
Red Dave

Postby smugpug » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm

I think the problem is so many jobs "need" a college degree when they really don't. Maybe taking a couple semesters of classes totally geared toward what you want to do might be helpful, but I just think it's overrated that so many jobs need a college degree as a qualifier for employment.
But when people have been pushing that everyone should go to college, you have to find some degree for everyone to acquire, no matter how useless it might be for providing a job in that field.
smugpug

Postby Coffee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Guess I was born too soon, also, Red Dave. Back in the early 70s, they had Women's Lib, but I don't think they had Women's Studies yet. Like the song says, a woman sure can be a friend of mine.
Smugpug, thanks for helping me understand better what you mean by "useless" majors. I remember a conversation or two about, why should it take three years to get a JD, to practice law? (That would be four years to earn a Bachelor's degree, plus three more to get a JD). Why couldn't you go to Law School for a shorter time & then just go work in a law office?
Coffee

Postby littleguns » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Speaking as a retired university professor, I can say that the practicality of a degree is often secondary to a school's need to produce numbers. Head counts are what ultimately pay the lion's share of compensation for administrators, professors, secretaries, coaches, groundskeepers, etc., and what justify requests to the legislature for new buildings, land purchases and the like. There's often very little motivation to dispose of degrees that help keep the numbers up, or to honestly advise students that there may not be a job waiting for them with those degrees. And so you have an abundance of degree programs in philosophy, art history, jewelry-making, African-American studies, ceramics, obscure languages, theater, dance, on and on. Please don't think I'm saying such degrees have no value -- they certainly play a role in broadening a student's educational experience. But turning them into decent-paying jobs? Maybe not so much value. Just my perhaps biased opinion. :)
littleguns

Postby Coffee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes, littleguns, I see what you're saying. If you get a BA in Philosophy, good for you, but what can you do with that except teach it, or continue on with your studies? I know a guy who set up a hundred thousand dollar high school scholarship fund here, but the money has to be used only for STEM studies. His brother was quite conservative, so that helps explain that, maybe.
Where I went to school, there was a Social Work 101 course. It was fairly boring, just learning about where folks with specific problems could get help. If you majored in Social Work, real good for you, and you could probably get right into the work force. It kind of takes a special, caring person, to be a social worker.
Coffee

Postby Alias » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Dang, Coffee, I thought you were referring to Major League Baseball. It simply didn't dawn on me that you meant college courses for air heads.

Red Dave: I was amazed at the number of graduates with degrees in "Women's Studies". I had been studying girls, then women since I was about 14 years old, and I know what goes on at college, but I had never heard of getting a degree in it.

Dave, I got a question, why did it take you so long to get interested in girls?
Hey, I remember flirting with a sweet little blond haired cutie on my very first day in Miss Brumbly's first grade class.................gfp
Alias

Postby Red Dave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 am

Alias wrote:Dave, I got a question, why did it take you so long to get interested in girls?
Hey, I remember flirting with a sweet little blond haired cutie on my very first day in Miss Brumbly's first grade class.................gfp

I was a shy lad. A late bloomer. ;)
Red Dave

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 am

"useless majors" are the result of too many kids being told (from a young age) that it is important that they "pursue their dreams." When I was young, I was told to figure out how to make a living. I got lucky, was able to make a good living doing something that I enjoyed...but the latter wasn't my first priority.

So now, we have 1-2 generations of young people who think it is their right to get rich doing whatever crackpot dream they may have, and society's obligation to subsidize their dreams. So many (some of whom have no business in college anyway) pursue any major with a title that is the flavor du jour for them...and then they whine when reality hits and they're stuck with college debt and a sheepskin that won't get them an entry level job because there's no demand for "art historians," or the like.

May God helps us all...
Bkeepr

Postby Coffee » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:37 am

We could all use God's help, I guess.
There are simply people who can't readily do math and science. I don't know if part of the brain is missing, or maybe Nature gives us different gifts, or what? There are plenty of scientists who have made mistakes. These folks might also, some of them, be said to have part of their brain missing, too, the part that looks at a rose and wants to duplicate it with oil paints, or the part that appreciates a landscape just because it is there and looks so beautiful, or looks at the planets and wonders maybe the moon and planets should be left alone.
What you say makes quite a bit of sense, Bkeepr, but I think it can work both ways. My point is all humans have value and potential, not just the scientists, techs, engineers and mathematicians. We would be in a world of hurt without our philosophers and religious leaders for about the last 3,000 years.
Coffee

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:34 am

When I went to college the idea was one would be exposed to a variety of subjects, especially for the first two years, and then would specialize in your major in the last two years. I'm glad that was what the college I went to did.

Oddly enough two subjects, Botany and Logic, turned out to be valuable throughout my life. Botany helped me to set up three gardens and made it easier. Logic informed me about how to analyze information I was presented with.

Sometimes what is of value to one is useless to another. But that list contains some studies that make no sense to me as being labeled useless.

I agree with you Coffee -
My point is all humans have value and potential, not just the scientists, techs, engineers and mathematicians. We would be in a world of hurt without our philosophers and religious leaders for about the last 3,000 years.

Have a great day! :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Red Dave » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:02 pm

There is an old joke, one that I first heard before I was old enough to understand it.
It goes something like this:

What do you say to a theater major?
I'll have fries with that burger.

It doesn't mean that a theater major has no value as a person, but it does show the value of a degree in theater in the job market. It's not just theater majors in that boat.

As an old fashioned, practical to a fault dinosaur, I still think that the purpose of higher education is to teach students something that allows them to be a contributor to society, not to be a drain on it.
Red Dave

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 pm

For the better part I agree with your statement
As an old fashioned, practical to a fault dinosaur, I still think that the purpose of higher education is to teach students something that allows them to be a contributor to society, not to be a drain on it.

However consider some occupations take time to develop and often require the assistance of others, like painters, writers, or some musicians. Actually, thinking about it, some scientists and medical researchers also rely on gov't, assistance, and NIH. And DARPA has also provided research into innovative research. There'd be no Internet if they hadn't help sponsor those developing it.

I do admit though that when I read about some of the gov't. assisted research I think really? But some of what appears to be oddball research ends up being worthwhile.

Just some thoughts.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Sid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 pm

I thought that was supposed to be the goal of elemtary education.
Sid

Postby Coffee » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Say, Sid, do you mean, elementary education should expose students to a variety of subjects and then in high school we should pick out our majors? Just wondering- Mark. I don't think in high school I was mature enough to pick out a major. LOL.
Coffee

Next

Return to General Discussion