Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

With time I prefer to do my own cooking = why?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Postby Lightening Bug » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:14 pm

Well I was looking forward to a get together of Jimme's high school chums. We went to a restaurant, I thought this is enjoyable. Got to talk with folks who had come also. Ir was a good time.

And then, and then - when we came home -Jimmie wasn't feeling good, and had some problems, darn! Ruined the day for him. :( He's getting better but who knows what was in what he ate.)

Because of my diabetes I've gotten very selective about what I eat. But you never know when you go to a restaurant what they cook with. or what's in your food.

Have you had a similar experience? I hope not.

As we get older we do need to avoid this kind of situation, uh huh!

And that's why I liker to cook our food. Don't have ingredients that shouldn't be there.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: With time I prefer to do my own cooking = why?

Postby sunfighter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am

Same here. I just don't trust others to cook for us. Too many businesses cutting corners and there doesn't seem to be any punishment for their actions. Used to be a time when one could enjoy a night out and a meal. Sadly, I feel those days are gone. :( The few times I thought I would chance a meal, one look in the kitchen area at the help and the conditions were enough to drive me away.
sunfighter

Postby Lightening Bug » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks Sunfighter. I agree that restaurants don't cook food as well as in the past. They use more prepared, canned and bottled ingredients. Just open the container, heat and serve it, even Chinese restaurants do that now.

I read a book recently about processed food. The author did a good job, covered a lot about the differences in processed food. How some is safe and has been cooked and eaten for a long time. Then also covered additives and whether there is a necessity for some and how others are used to make the food seem to have more flavor with a smaller amount of a particular ingredient. "Better living through chemistry" - not!!

In one chapter she described is the use of nanoparticles in food. According to her this is expanding. She doesn't encourage dismissing or avoiding nanoparticles but she does believe it does need oversight. Can't help but wonder what the effect of using them in might have on food fraud.

Do any of you have thoughts about nanoparticles use in food?

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby sunfighter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:31 pm

I am worried when the FDA classifies something as "Generally Regarded as Safe". :o What does that mean? Is it safe or not? :?:
Wife and I have decided that processed food has become the bane of the world. Forget obesity (a nice harmless sounding word), there are far too many fat people now. I'm not an expert, but, between the more common use of processed food, (that may or may not contain harmful chemicals), the lack of any real exercise, and the general laziness of the present culture I believe is in fact creating a disturbing trend toward Fat, and all the health problems associated with it.
sunfighter

Postby Bkeepr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 am

We don't eat out much, and almost never at chain restaurants.

We have a few good restaurants around (none are chains), but even still they use more salt than I'm used to and their portions are enormous. I am a regular calorie counter, and when a single meal out constitutes more than my usual calorie count for an entire day, there's something wrong!
Bkeepr

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks for your posts Sunfighter and Bkeepr.

Sunfighter you're right to question GRAS. I've read some articles that indicate some foods labeled GRAS shouldn't be.

Bkeepr , for years I've eaten about half the food served at restaurants and brought the rest home. So I get two meals for the price of one. I've noticed that as prices have gone up the amount of food served has increased. One article I read said the average calorie count at restaurants is 2400-2700 per meal. That's a days worth in one meal, yipes. Don't know about fast food places. Haven't eaten at one for 35-40 years.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Return to General Discussion