Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Partial list of Chinese products facing US tariffs

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Partial list of Chinese products facing US tariffs

Postby Lightening Bug » Tue May 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Copied this from a FB page. Thought you might find it of interest.

This is a long list, partial, of Chinese products affected by the US tariff.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/10/a-cast-of-thousands-products-from-china-facing-25-us-tariff?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR2DnbOe3HNpqrer-n4tl49rg8uRj0RTFD0z48kkzyXkq0TPhLlk0EKhd2g

What do you think about the 25% tariff on Chinese products?

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Partial list of Chinese products facing US tariffs

Postby Texas » Wed May 15, 2019 7:41 am

I did not read the list to be honest. But I doubt there is anything on that list that is only available from China.

We are throw away society. We buy foreign junk (China, Jap crap) fully expecting it to break in a year or so but the mentality is that
its so cheap.....just go buy another.

So tariffs on Chinese products will push people to buy American. Typically better quality, longer lasting.
This would also create jobs as American products would be in higher demand.

The kicker is that China buys a lot of soybeans. There isn't much money in soybeans to begin with and this will only hurt farmers
on this years crop. Hopefully those farmers can diversify to other crops next year. Cargill quit buying soybeans down here. They were the last
broker left. So no one here plants soybeans anymore.

We also import tons of vegetables from China which is BS. Buy American veggies. God knows what all China sprayed on theirs to control pests
or weeds.

Just my thoughts on the pros and a few cons.
Texas

Postby Bamabear » Tue May 21, 2019 5:53 am

I have always thought we should grow and process and make everything we need here, I don't see why?
Bamabear

Postby lamar fudd1 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm

We don't get to make everything on account of greed. A company can get raw materials for less from overseas, so they buy it there. Larger the company gets, whether a store or manufacturing plant, they get a better volume deal. Tariffs are supposed to even the playing field and not giving incentives to do overseas business would help, too.
lamar fudd1

Postby Coffee » Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Yes, and the cost of labor can be much lower in foreign countries.
How did we get to this situation? I'm old enough to remember economists saying free trade would benefit every country in the world, because countries would produce things that they were really good at producing. One example given back then was U.S. farmers were so excellent at producing food, that food would be one of the greatest U.S. exports. Other countries would send to the U.S. things that those countries were really good at producing. One problem that came up, and maybe it was unforeseen, was, what if the quality of goods produced by a foreign country was lacking? Consistently lacking in quality. Some things we have to import. You're not going to grow bananas and coffee here in Wisconsin.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion