Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

What's new, interesting, or different?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Here the weather is cooler, down from a week and a half of 90* days. And we're getting rain off and on, sometimes heavy. Some areas nearby are expected to flood.

Went to Walmart and picked up medical supplies, some food, and a new top. Rained going and shortly before coming home. Otherwise walked Jackie in between rainstorms.

Hope all is well on your home front.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: What's new, interesting, or different?

Postby Coffee » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 am

The weather is going to warm up here. The river has been staying within its banks. Monarch butterfly numbers seem to be up. They come to the orange butterfly weed. I've let milkweed grow, too. None of these plants spread quickly. The catnip is forming seeds. I got a real good picking of blueberries yesterday and froze most of them.
Recently I took Dakota for a ride to pay my respects to my cousin who passed this spring. He had diabetes, if you remember. His resting place is on a ridge, within about half a mile of U.S. Highway 14. You can see Hwy. 14 from the cemetery. Some motorcycles went by, it was a Sunday evening, July 7, and Dakota started barking at the motorcycles. There are some Amish farms in the vicinity of the cemetery. The cemetery seems lonely, but has a good fence around it and is mowed well.
Have been looking at part 1, on "youtube," of "Jutland, Clash of the Dreadnoughts." Always filling in gaps in my knowledge, such as it is. Oh, I got to Jutland by way of watching videos of the "Naval Hymn" aka "Eternal Father...," I believe. Hillsong United's "Oceans" live from Israel, is good. Peace. Coffee.
Coffee

Postby Red Dave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 am

Ahh, Jutland. The largest naval battle of the Great War.

German tactical victory, British Strategic victory. I've studied it.
Notable for the failure of Admiral Jackie Fisher's Battle Cruisers to survive against German Battleships.
Even more notable for the British failure to recognize the limitations of Battle Cruisers and keep building them.
Red Dave

Postby Coffee » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:23 am

Yes, so then in World War II, the Hood blows up and sinks while engaging the Bismarck. It all ties together. In the video, I'm just to the part where the team is taking a look at one of the wrecks, so I still don't really know what the weakness of the British warships was. Some of what happened was just chance, apparently, like ability to see targets.
Coffee

Postby Red Dave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Battleships in WWI = big guns, lots of armor, not fast (20-21 knots)
British Battlecruisers in WWI = big guns, some armor, but not nearly as much as a Battleship, but fast (28 - 32 knots)

At Jutland, Admiral Beatty, commanding the Battlecruisers, chose to attack the German battle line before the British heavy Battleships could be brought up to support them. For that, and some other reasons, it went badly for the British Battlecruisers.

It was the reduced armor of Hood, a Battlecruiser, that is though to have sealed Hood's fate. Nobody is alive to verify it, but it is believed that a Bismark projectile plunged through the relatively lightly armored deck of Hood, into a magazine, which caused the destruction of Hood.
Red Dave

Postby Lightening Bug » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Today Stony Jim drove his new truck to the current warplane restoration site. It is a loonnngg ride, and hour and a half each way. Currently they're not doing as much as the place in Fawn Grove.

But it was good to see the fella's that we had worked with before and new one's that have joined in.

It's near Emmittsburg Md, in a barn. Wish it wasn't such a long drive.

We had enjoyed working on airplane restoration, it's interesting and different. Stony Jim took to it like a duck to water. He used everything he has done at home and work to work on the renovation.

The ride took us through towns, small cities, and farmland. It's good to see so much of the farmland is still there. But all the businesse!. You name it we saw them and passed them. It was amazing to see all the businesses that are auto related.

Well I'll say goodnight and wish you well. Thank you for your posts. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Randy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Not much new here. I'm still mowing lawns, only 17 now instead of 70 a few years ago.
Aunt Terr goes away quite a bit. I think it's Cape Cod in a couple weeks for several days. Went to San Antonio a couple months back and before that a paddle wheeler from Memphis to New Orleans.
I stay home with the dogs.
Got a new tractor, Kubota M7060. I guess that's the big new thing for me!
Enjoy.
Randy

Postby Bkeepr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:05 am

Lightening Bug wrote:Today Stony Jim drove his new truck to the current warplane restoration site....It's near Emmittsburg Md, in a barn. ...

Hi LB,

Emmittsburg is about 35 or 40 minutes from me, and we head out that way often. Can you tell me what plane(s) that they are restoring now? How about an address or point of contact?

I'm asking because my brother is moving into the area after his retirement. He spent 30+ years in the USAF, with a large portion of that in aircraft maintenance. He might get bored here in the boonies, and be looking for something to do...

thanks!

What's new here? New puppy, we brought her home last week. She's wonderful, and is fitting in with the others very well. Afraid we're all smitten, but it is a lot of work having an 8-9 *week* old puppy in the house. Lots of energy, needs lots of attention and teaching, and clean-up. :lol:
Bkeepr

Postby Bamabear » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 am

just hot here, and gathering okra, cukes, green beans, Just got through making pickles, and soup, vegetable soup. got to mow, ugh I hate mowing... thinking I would like a smaller place with a small yard to mow... maybe.. getting too much for these ole bones.
Bamabear

Postby GeneSC » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Bamabear wrote:just hot here, and gathering okra, cukes, green beans, Just got through making pickles, and soup, vegetable soup. got to mow, ugh I hate mowing... thinking I would like a smaller place with a small yard to mow... maybe.. getting too much for these ole bones.

Bamabear, haven't hollered at you in a a long time! How are you doing? sounds like you have a pretty good garden? I had four "big boy" tomato plants that was put in big pots and I think I have lost two of them, the other two "may" make it?? I'm gonna put them in the ground next year, not at all happy with the pots, can't tell how much water they need, and I either drowned them or over fed them, anyhoo, hope you are doing well without too many problems, seems like the older we get the more problems come our way. Take care and God go with you.
Gene..................
GeneSC

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Bamabear, Yahoo!.

I was concerned we hadn't heard from you. Just about put a post on asking if you were working in your garden. Clearly the answer is Yes. Good for you.

I haven't planted anything this year. Just haven't had good weather.

So glad to read your posts.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby sunfighter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:20 am

[quote
Bamabear, haven't hollered at you in a a long time! How are you doing? sounds like you have a pretty good garden? I had four "big boy" tomato plants that was put in big pots and I think I have lost two of them, the other two "may" make it?? I'm gonna put them in the ground next year, not at all happy with the pots, can't tell how much water they need, and I either drowned them or over fed them, anyhoo, hope you are doing well without too many problems, seems like the older we get the more problems come our way. Take care and God go with you.
Gene..................[/quote]

Gene, guess I must be doing something right. My "big boy" maters are going great. Planted in 5 gallon buckets. Same with my Arkansas travelers. I found them to thrive this year with only 5-6 hours of morning sun and shaded during the afternoon heat. Is it possible your's are getting burnt by too much sun?
Attachments
yesterdays maters.jpg
DSC02322.JPG
sunfighter

Postby GeneSC » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:23 am

Sunfighter, I live in a heavy wooded area,both front and back, the only direct sun that they get is the middle of the day? for three or four hours? I bought the three gallon pots at the nursery, also bought some topsoil and mixed with potting soil?
I watered about every other day even though the soil was very damp? the pots didn't seem to have enough drainage so I drilled 3 or 4 3/8" holes in them, I used "Miracle Grow" liquid in 12 oz. bottles that screw into the sprayer and 'fed them about every other, or every three days (maybe too much?) they either got too much water and rotted the roots or I have over fed them and burned them up? (My first time planting in a container) MAN! your tomatoes look GREAT!
GeneSC

Postby sunfighter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:21 pm

This wacky weather is raising Cain with most of my neighbors gardens. Either too much rain and rotting the roots, or, too much sun and burning the plant. nobody nearby has had a decent tomato yet. We've been very lucky that the spot we chose to raise them was correct. Alas, the same can't be said about our peach trees. turns out that on top of a fungus, the tree itself is diseased and will have to come down. :(
sunfighter

Postby GeneSC » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Sunfighter, What soil mix did you use and what kind of fertilizer did you use? also, how often did you water them? Mine are under the eve of the front porch and do not get any rain water, so I have to water/ feed them myself. did you drill holes in the buckets? what kind of fertilizer did you use? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I've never had a problem with tomatoes until this year, just trying to figure out what I did wrong??? :cry:
GeneSC

Return to General Discussion