Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

lets have fun...winter predictions anyone?....

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

lets have fun...winter predictions anyone?....

Postby nadx » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:50 am

my prediction is it will be a worse winter here in missouri than last year and last year was awful!
whats your prediction for where you live?

p.s. we had been pretty lucky the previous 3 or 4 years with winters here
nadx

Re: lets have fun...winter predictions anyone?....

Postby Randy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:30 pm

According to predictions, colder and more snow than normal.
Thankfully I quit plowing last season so it's fine with me.
Now I go out and start the tractor, wipe off my truck and Aunt Terr's car.
By that time the cab is nice and warm and 28 minutes later I'm done with our driveway and a neighbor's.
Sure is nicer than the days of having 85 driveways!
Randy

Postby Bamabear » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:49 am

Never know down here in the South, sure hope we see some snow.... so glad the hot weather is gone...
Bamabear

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Hard to predict. But the Fall here has been warmer. Went up to 81* today.
Lightening Bug

Postby kyle18 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:46 pm

amen to no more 90`s - don`t think we`ll see snow but it gets cold enough - again THANK GOODNESS IT`S GETTIN KOOOOLER
kyle18

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Predictions are fickle things. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it ain't. The only thing I can faithfully predict is that it will get cold. Real cold. A so called warm winter here just means more heavy, wet snow.
I'll take 12 feet of the fluffy stuff over 16" of the heavy, wet stuff. My motto is, Expect the best, prepare for the worst. Being prepared seems to be the way to go. Sometimes our power will go out for a week at a time. Its not all bad... as long as your ready for it. I wear my sunglasses more in the winter than I do in the summer.Ever heard of being snow blind? It hurts. My flannels too. Whatever winter brings your way, I think all of y'all will be able to deal with it. Dealing with it and liking it are two different things... I used to like winter. Not so much anymore. I don't feel guilty about sitting around inside though.
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 pm

I can safely predict it will turn real cold early in January. Predicting snow amounts is more difficult. Somehow we make it through, don't we? I haven't been snow blind, but I've almost been snow blind. I can't remember much pain associated with it, except the glare in the eyes can be unbearable, especially when driving. It's not so bad anymore, maybe early cataracts reduce the glare? Eat your broccoli, kale and spinach.
Coffee

Postby sunfighter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:47 pm

I was about to say it probably wouldn't be long before we had a named winter storm. Too late... Winter storm Aubrey is heading for the Dakotas as we speak. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never could figure out who's bright idea it was to name all our storms.
sunfighter

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:12 pm

I eat a lot of carrots too. You live in WI, you've never been snowblind?

When the wind is not blowing. The sun is not blazing on you, to the point it hurts to open your eyes?

It seems winter is different year to year.
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Right, carrots are excellent too. I can tell you from experience, if you are wearing dark glasses or ski goggles, something like that, snow glare won't bother you. This is WI in winter, I'm talking about. If you're driving on a bright sunny day and don't have sunglasses (because you forgot them and don't have an extra pair in the car), you can pull the visor down and squint and keep shifting your eyes quickly here and there, while keeping eyes on the road. If you're walking or cross-country skiing, like on a large slough, you can close your eyes for a while. Or you can squint until you get into the woods. That must be how it is in NY, too, mowmud. No I've never been snowblind. I don't know what happens when one is snowblind, but I believe one can't see, or can't see normally, for a while, and I think there is pain for a period of time.
Coffee

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Yeah, it is not a permanent condition. Just too much external input. It hurts to open your eyes. Cross country skiing, me in the drumlins around here, can get down to the bottom of a valley and travel that for awhile. You know when the sun is coming at you from above, we are accustomed to dealing with that. When it is also being reflected back up off the ground though... you want your Ray Bans or whatever you got.It does hurt.
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 am

I think for us it'll be moderate ("warm" for winter) without much snow. We've had 2 winters in a row that had especially cold blocks, and several very big snow-storms, and it is about time for an opposite winter that is closer to average.

I'm likely wrong, but don't much care because I'll take whatever comes and be ok with it.
Bkeepr

Return to General Discussion