Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Holidays

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Holidays

Postby mowmud » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:25 am

That season is here yet again. This time last year, I was psyched up to go out and get my first real tree, in twenty years. It was a nice tree, no doubt. Over the course of the last year, in my very limited travels... I got ourselves an artificial tree the same size as the one we whacked last season. Already has the lights mounted in it. Free off the side of the road.

It was in a crumpled up box on the side of the road... only took me 3 weeks to straighten all the metal branches. I still don't have them all the way they should be... but I look forward to putting up the tree, without the hassle of running around the countryside. I don't want to water it, I just want to turn it on. If the power is out, so is the tree. I ain't firing up the generator for that.

The only thing I can tell for certain is, I intend to watch no sports today.
mowmud

Re: Holidays

Postby Coffee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:15 am

Hi mowmud. Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks to you, Thanksgiving has become associated in my mind with "Alice's Restaurant." Was thinking of that yesterday when I picked up a plastic pop bottle on the daily walk with Dakota. How easy it would have been for the kid who tossed it there to just take it home and have his Mom recycle it. One would almost think the flood plain here is a garbage dump.
I'm thankful for Family, dogs included, the First Amendment, the U.S. Constitution, which was set up in part in the hopes there would be no king. Let us hope the people around us in communities and nearby farms are in good shape. We have much to be thankful for this day. Now you got me thinking about Christmas trees 8-)
Coffee

Postby mowmud » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Get a load of this. I wasn't this fast... but I've been paid to do it in the past. I could learn something from these boys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikRJNOKdvU

It ain't no Cali redwood by any means. I'd make sure I had my chaps on over my shorts. I think we all know that christmas trees don't get pruned at Christmas. Its an 8 to 10 year turnover, if you farm them.

If I could get a live redwood... I'd go out my way to make that thing live. Only person on the east coast with a redwood. If you are gonna be remembered for something, I'd prefer this.

Sure, a 'real' tree smells nice... it is only a temporary stage of nice. Sooner or later, it starts falling apart. As much as I dislike plastic... I like it for Christmas trees. Just makes sense.
mowmud

Postby Alias » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:48 am

mowmud wrote:
Sure, a 'real' tree smells nice... it is only a temporary stage of nice. Sooner or later, it starts falling apart. As much as I dislike plastic... I like it for Christmas trees. Just makes sense.

Hey Guy, run down to the store and see can you find some pine scented air freshener or a bag of po-per-ree, (sp), which serves the same objective without shedding needles on the carpet.

More than 20 years ago my wife's older sister bought a new, humongous, floor to ceiling, prelit, Christmas tree. Which, she and her husband set up in their basement family room. The Lowest branches spread out over six feet from one side to the other. After they were finished they poured some wine and sat down to admire their handiwork. The B-I-L proposed a toast to the tree and their tiring accomplishment and informed his wife that they were too old to ever go through this ordeal again. So, during the holidays S-I-L flat iron welded several heavy plastic leaf and trash bags into a giant cover for the tree. Now, every year, for the past 20 years or more, around thanksgiving, she simply lifts off the cover and plugs in the lights. Sadly, her husband isn't around to enjoy the tree, he passed away many years ago...............gfp
Alias

Postby mowmud » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 am

Alias. I hear ya. Never really liked them heavy perfumed scents though. Patchouli.Not so much.
I do have a leftover box of balsam fir incense that I'd normally burn outside. Might be overpowering inside.

My point being is, I'm not an advocate of plastic, but in certain situations , it just makes sense.

Merry Christmas and happy holler days to ya.
mowmud

Postby Bamabear » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:30 am

I am forgoing the Christmas tree this year, don't want to mess with it anymore... so I sold all my ornaments , I put clear lights up around my porch ,I remember my grandma, cutting a cedar tree, I loved the smell.... and I went and hunted trees in the woods...
Bamabear

Postby nadx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 am

been wanting a BIG tree for years--last year finally bought one on sale after christmas
it'll last for 20 years

ten footer pre lit of course

decorated yesterday---i usually put up 3 trees
2 are up so far

basement tree left to go
nadx

Postby nadx » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:34 am

real trees....i do like them, but agree they are a pain lol...(the needles, ouch)
nadx

Postby smugpug » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:52 pm

My church doesn't have a Harvest Festival, I don't celebrate Halloween, Thanksgiving day my wife worked and we had a couple tacos when she got home, and Christmas is up in the air if we will do much of anything. This has become my "not favorite time of the year".
smugpug

Postby Alias » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:04 am

Tacos aren't bad. I could eat tacos any day of the year. Let me be the first to wish you and your wife........... A merry Christmas................gfp
Alias

Postby smugpug » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:00 pm

Tacos ARE great! I should have made ground turkey tacos. Thanks for the Christmas greeting. Back at you.
smugpug

Postby Patria » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 pm

I LOVE tacos!
Patria

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Me too!
Lightening Bug

Postby mowmud » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:55 am

Me three. Never thought of turkey tacos though. Sounds like a plan.

Have you ever tried turkey sausage? Good stuff in its own means... but I truly do like the idea of mixing it up like a taco. The question remains... hard shell, soft shell? I'm keeping MY opinion to myself, unlike most people in our government. I, for one, respect what another has to say.

Sure do like me some turkey... you can have both legs if you like them. Trade them both for one turkey egg.

I like the salad aspect of tacos. I'm getting hungry as I type.
mowmud

Postby smugpug » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:39 pm

I generally like hard shells, I have found that Walmart's Great Value brand are actually very good and very inexpensive. Soft, flour tacos it varies, don't have a particular brand that stands out, even though I like him a little thicker. I have found recently that buying soft corn tortillas and just hitting them in a pan on the stove at high heat for about 20 to 30 seconds per side makes them taste excellent. Usually I just fill these with ground beef and cheese and some sauce, maybe pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds to melt the cheese somewhat. I usually like La Victoria hot sauce on my tacos, sometimes I use a little Frank's hot sauce with it, but if I can stop at a restaurant and get some hot sauce I will pick that up and use that on tacos. When I use ground turkey from the store, I do not care for Jennie-O ground turkey meat. It has been a while since I have eaten them so I cannot remember what variety of ground turkey meat I use. My tacos usually consists of very spicy ground beef, very thinly slice lettuce, grated cheese, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and hot sauce.
smugpug

Return to General Discussion