Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Woodstoves

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Woodstoves

Postby mowmud » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:30 pm

This time of year is really hard to figure out the way to burn. 93* in here right now. Hard to breathe. I have already opened the downstairs door... and its too cold to leave it open. Maybe I'll let the fire burn down and turn on the propane. Much easier to adjust. Down here in my civvies, thinking about stripping them off. Looking forward to warm weather. Just because the calendar says its spring, doesn't mean Ma Nature is paying attention. She makes her own rules. She don't care.
mowmud

Re: Woodstoves

Postby mowmud » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 pm

Just took a stroll around. Plenty cold. Light snow.

Appears to be about normal for this time of year. I stoked up the woodstove and I left the basement door open. Gotta find a happy medium somewhere. I ain't turning on the propane. Yet. I'll take too warm over too cold any day.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 am

Still another season has passed, and I still haven't tested my snowshoes. Just my knee high rubber boots been getting it done. I have two pairs of them rubber boots. One pair that you don't really care if the water goes over the top... then the other pair, that you treat as gold.

Hint: Never buy a rubber boot that is heavy.Shy away from steel toe, unless necessary. They will freeze your toes off. Severe frostbite would be considered a win.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Our power comes from Niagara Falls. My woodstove has a blower on it that pretty much runs nonstop. I can listen to it and tell when they start and stop the dynamos. I do believe there is 16 in total,but two stay down all the time, rotated for scheduled maintenance. If they needed to run them all, they would.

I can listen to the fluctuations in the fan motor of my stove and tell you if the power is on or off. :mrgreen:

Boy. If that don't get a Salmoneye comment, nothing will.
mowmud

Postby Red Dave » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:17 am

mowmud wrote:Our power comes from Niagara Falls. My woodstove has a blower on it that pretty much runs nonstop. I can listen to it and tell when they start and stop the dynamos. I do believe there is 16 in total,but two stay down all the time, rotated for scheduled maintenance. If they needed to run them all, they would.

I can listen to the fluctuations in the fan motor of my stove and tell you if the power is on or off. :mrgreen:

Boy. If that don't get a Salmoneye comment, nothing will.

:?
:roll:
Red Dave

Postby mowmud » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Well, you can tell if the power is on. Thats what I thought would get a response from SE. I can't rightfully remember, they may have 22 dynamos. Whatever the number, they keep two down on a rotating scheduled maintenance plan.It is not always the same two down. I can listen to the blower on my stove and tell when they are doing things.

Much better than the option of the power going out. Which it does quite regularly. These are things you notice when your stuck inside, bored to death. Listen to electricity and be glad its on.

I have 18 gallons of gas for the generator, but I don't want to be out wrestling that sucker either.

I try to keep the essentials. You do know though, it is a bad day when I'm out utilizing them. Days I don't even want to be out. But I do.
mowmud

Postby Red Dave » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:06 pm

mowmud wrote:Well, you can tell if the power is on. Thats what I thought would get a response from SE. I can't rightfully remember, they may have 22 dynamos. Whatever the number, they keep two down on a rotating scheduled maintenance plan.It is not always the same two down. I can listen to the blower on my stove and tell when they are doing things.

New York ISO (NYISO) manages the interconnected electrical power system within the state of New York. NYISO is regulating frequency, load, line voltage and power factor for every generating station and transmission line in NY state. It is also interconnected with ISO New England and PJM (PA, New Jersey and Maryland) interconnection. NYISO has generation and load this evening of a bit over 16,000 Megawatts (MW), all tied together in synchronous operation, which in turn is tied to PJM, which is at a little over 83,000 Megawatts today and ISO New England which is at about 14,000 MW . All that electricity tied together makes for a very stable power system. Aside from localized power outages, the electrical voltage and frequency of the system probably varies less than 1%. If your fan changes how it sounds based on it's electrical power, it is far more likely due to local distribution system load conditions than any changes occurring from which one of the thirteen 200 MW generators at any hydro station that may or may not be running at the moment.

Robert Moses hydro plant:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moses_Niagara_Power_Plant

NYISO:
https://www.nyiso.com/

PJM:
https://www.pjm.com/

ISO New England:
https://www.iso-ne.com/
Red Dave

Postby mowmud » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm

I didn't read any of the links, and I thank you for providing them. I'll get to reading them.

What I do understand is that, without reading, these are terms that would be best applied to cityfolk.

I can go without power indefinitely.
mowmud

Postby Salmoneye » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Blower?

That's cheating...

:mrgreen:

I just stick a fan behind the bugger, and call it good...

This is the first year in decades that I have actually let the fire go out, and then start it late afternoon...

Amazing how much less wood I use that way, but by bedtime we do have to crack the windows...

Good thing I got a lot of kindling in my last load of wood...

Gotta go open a window...Bye...
Salmoneye

Location: The Spooky House At The End Of The Lane With Grass Growing Down The Middle

Return to General Discussion