Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

leading causes of death in the US

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

leading causes of death in the US

Postby Lightening Bug » Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 am

Not a pleasant topic. But I read in the news about the c-virus. Decided to see what cause the greatest percentage of deaths in the US. Guess what the c-virus wasn't on the list! I think the media is over playing it in the news.

This article lists the top twelve causes of death in the US -

https://www.healthline.com/health/leading-causes-of-death#takeaway

Interesting. What do you think?

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: leading causes of death in the US

Postby Bkeepr » Sat May 23, 2020 12:40 pm

One point about the media overplaying it in the news:

I agree, the media are reporting it very *poorly,* but I don't know about "overplaying." The fact is that this particular disease has only been in the human population for a matter of *months,* while the other causes of death take years or decades to kill folks, and many have been around since the dawn of time... (Ok, maybe that's an exageration...). And just in the US, we are somewhere around 100k deaths already--since roughly March. That is pretty significant, even if we know the numbers aren't exactly right, the order of magnitude is still respectable.
Bkeepr

Postby Red Dave » Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Red Dave

Postby Coffee » Sat May 23, 2020 7:56 pm

I would not take coronavirus lightly. You get overconfident, you know what happens.
If you look at leading causes of deaths in the U.S. on just a daily basis, coronavirus is number one, if the chart I was looking at today was correct.
Coffee

Postby screamer » Sun May 24, 2020 7:09 am

Fact is, the corona virus is out there waiting to get you whether today, next week or next year. Hide and cower all you want, but the risk of being infected is inevitable. It has a .02 percent mortality rate. Less than the mortality of things linked to smoking, less than many other diseases. Less than the risk of being murdered in Chicago. Life is a condition with 100 % mortality. I will take some precautions, but I am not going to be willing prisoner to an overblown sensationalized media event.
screamer

Postby mowmud » Sun May 24, 2020 3:21 pm

I agree with Coffee once again, but I do think the leading cause of death, is life itself. From the day your born, you start dying, just try to learn a few tricks along the way. Squeeze out a few more days here and there. Everybody seems to do it a bit different, but the good ones seem to survive.
mowmud

Postby smugpug » Mon May 25, 2020 2:20 pm

This virus will have a peak season just like the flu does. It is not going to kill 50,000 to a 100,000 people every month. All activities that we engage in has an inherent risk of death and/or injury. The vast majority of people who have died were the elderly with underlying health conditions, especially those in nursing homes(where covid-19 patients were pushed(that infected the elderly with underlying health conditions). If you are elderly, have underlying health conditions, or just generally fearful of dying, stay home. If you go out, don't have a problem wearing a mask and social distancing. You can wear a mask at Walmart, as well as any small business, and you can also social distance at Walmart, as well as any small business. So shutting down the country was an extremely bad decision, and has a lot more to do with political control then it does the safety of people. The same people that are screaming the loudest about wearing masks, social distancing, stay at home, etc,. Are also the same people that have no trouble with 61 million abortions, siding with the morally and spiritually bankrupt entertainment industry, drag queen reading hours for children at public libraries, legalizing drugs, caring more about illegal alien children then American children, race pimping, rewarding are responsible behaviors and choices, etc. Sorry, but I don't for one moment believe that this group of people has any true compassion, caring, or love for anyone else but themselves. This virus is bad, but so is the flu, and so are many other things that cause death and injury. We don't lower the driving speed to 5 miles an hour to save lives, we don't ban alcohol to save lives, we don't ban smoking the save lives, we don't I have mandatory exercise and weigh in programs for everyone to make sure they are physically fit and not unhealthy, we don't push hard to stop drug usage. This is just another opportunity for a large group of people to take control, damage the head of the country to prevent his re-election, and to install their Godless agenda on America.
smugpug

Postby mowmud » Tue May 26, 2020 4:46 pm

smugpug, I thought I was disagreeing with you at first, then I started agreeing. So I'm gonna have to read it again. This virus is unprecedented. Nothing to scoff at, if you deal with folks you don't see every day, wear a dang mask. If in doubt, error on the side of caution.
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 am

"Vote."
Coffee

Return to General Discussion