Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Whatizzit?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Whatizzit?

Postby mowmud » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:28 pm

This pic is couple years old, but since I got this 'new' computer, I have a hard time resizing pictures.

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread... maybe get some old timers to post again. Sometimes it seems I'm the only one that posts anymore. Am I too opinionated? Anyhow...
...what the heck is this? Still giving me grief. I'll try again. Hah!
bugwormsnake2.JPG
Wow... an hour to upload one pic, er, my bad, an hour to resize.
mowmud

Re: Whatizzit?

Postby Sid » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:32 am

Off The top of my head, I'd say An insect on somebody's Arctic Cat, Off the bottom of my head looks like a horn worm.
Sid

Postby mowmud » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Yup. That is an Arctic Cat. 4-wheeler style. What the heck is a horn worm? The last time I googled a chigger, it made my stomach turn. Can you describe it so I don't have to search. It's ugly.

The pic is old, the thing is probably still creeping around here. I got my share of slugs and snails around None of them look like this.
mowmud

Postby Sid » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:18 pm

mowmud wrote:Yup. ......... Can you describe it so I don't have to search. It's ugly. .........

A tomato horn worm looks like that thing in your picture. Green in color, about three inches or so and can get about about the size of your finger. I understand they are edebile. I think some call it a tobacco horn worm.
Sid

Postby mowmud » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:34 am

I've seen a tomato horn worm. They are bright green. This thing is dark. It has no legs in its middle section. The legs are different front and back too. Suction cups up front and clamps or pinchers on the back. I was thinking maybe a dragonfly. I don't know. What I do know is that I don't like googling stuff like this, I end up knowing more than I wanted to know.

I wasn't scared of the thing, I just let the 4-wheeler rest a couple days and then it was gone. You ought to zoom in on that pic. It stayed in that same position for two days. I was fully expecting to see some type of cocoon or chrysalis. You were right, it was about 3 inches long. Never seen a tobacco horn worm. Not many folks grow tobacco around here anymore.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:08 pm

Well, I got bored and brave at the same time. I googled some stuff. The legs on this thing are nothing like a hornworm. I thought it looked a bit like a dragonfly. Nope. Heck, when I first seen it on there, I thought it was just another tree twig wedged in there.

Does anybody know how to do a reverse image search?
mowmud

Postby REt » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:26 am

Hey Mow. This is what you are looking at
Geometridae Google it
Ret
REt

Postby mowmud » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:18 pm

Yepper. I think you nailed it. REt, gets the cookie. Maybe a different species but , ding, ding, ding!

I get looking around on that google, ewe, oogie boogy. There are some crazy insects out there.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:49 pm

[attachment=0]100_0962.JPNext. This was a freebie. Had to take it to get the sewing machine and ironing board that I wanted.
What the heck is this thing? The only thing I see is a dogs watering bowl and a sieve. I would like to know what this piece of plastic is though. Its got a crank handle built into the lid, but other than that... I see no purpose that it serves.
Attachments
100_0962.JPG
mowmud

Postby Red Dave » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 am

It looks like a lettuce spinner. You use it to spin the water off your lettuce after you rinse it.
They work pretty good, once you get the hang of it.
Red Dave

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:26 am

I agree with RD, it is a salad spinner. I've got some "stuff" I can take pictures of and post...once I get some time.
Bkeepr

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 am

Here’s a picture I already had on my phone. Whatzzit that’s inside the calipers (and particularly what is it a part of)?

AF419F78-C973-4BAA-B581-87AC3642F707.jpeg
What was I measuring?
Bkeepr

Postby mowmud » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:28 pm

You got me going on this one. I'm gonna put in my guess.
I think its a wedge of cheese off of a wheel of cheese, possibly chedder or bleue? Don't know how to spell that. It has the skin on it.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Red Dave wrote:It looks like a lettuce spinner. You use it to spin the water off your lettuce after you rinse it.
They work pretty good, once you get the hang of it.
Why the heck would anybody do that?
That is what my buddy Posi guessed at. But why? I like my salad a bit damp after it comes out of a regular colander. Makes it toss better. Yes, I do toss my salad on occasion. 8-)
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Parmesan?
mowmud

Next

Return to General Discussion