Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

New barn light

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

New barn light

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 am

The old sodium vapor light on the corner of my barn finally quit working the other night. I bought a replacement at TSC. They didn't have any choices, just 1 lightweight aluminum one, that is a 65 watt outdoor florescent, supposed to be as bright as sodium vapor. I needed light, so I bought it...figured I can swap it out later, but need light now.

Let me tell you, it is brighter than the old one ever wanted to be! It is like doggoned daylight out there...for about 4 acres! And all for only 65 watts. I'm pretty sure the old sodium was rated at around 300 or so.

I don't buy much modern stuff, but this time, it is truly an improvement over the old and I am impressed.
Bkeepr

Re: New barn light

Postby Bill in IN » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:31 am

The old one may have been low pressure sodium, a very yellow light that used to be common on highways. If so it is probably more a quality issue than quantity. Low pressure was very efficient for lumens but the narrow color band made everything appear dull. Fluorescents are fairly efficient and have good quality light but do not last as long due to the killer ballasts usually associated with outdoor cold weather use.
Bill in IN

Postby RayP(MI) » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:19 am

Yeah, neighbor replaced his a few weeks back..... Far brighter! But, I believe it is still a sodium vapor - cool blue light.
RayP(MI)

Postby wallsal55 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 am

I am curious about attracting bugs. Wr are building a new shed on our farmette, and I have not even thought about the lighting. At our trailer, we bought the yellow bug light bulbs--supposed to not attract bugs--but it did.
So the yellow light thing must be a gimmick. Educate me, if there is a way to attract fewer bugs.
For the house, I learned to shut off all lights at sunset and use tiny electric lamps only. Has helped soooo much!
wallsal55

Postby toot » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:32 am

My brother lives along a state highway, when he first built there he was constantly having issues with people broke down, lost, or whatever pulling in.

He had several run ins with criminals, finally a Highway Patrolman suggested he turn off his Dusk to Dawn light, said it made his property visible to ner-do-wells.

He took out the light and the problems ended.

I never wanted an automatic light. I wanted good lighting, but only when I wanted it on. I wanted a switch.

I had halogen lights on my garage and deck so I could light up the place like day, but the light was directed and only when I wanted it.

Plus I like to look a the stars so I like it dark.

Gene
toot

Postby nadx » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:48 am

glad you like the new light...

unfortunately my two spotlights are out on my house, about a 25' up in the air on a ladder to change out ...grrrrrr...i like them when they are available so gotta change them sometime
nadx

Postby Peanut » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:21 pm

I wonder if the fluorescent will maintain its brightness during the winter?

When we first bought our place in the country (after living in the burbs of St Louis), the electric co-op asked me if I wanted a dusk-to-dawn light installed on our power pole. I laughed and declined their offer to light up our dark country.
Peanut

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Got to have just enough light. Just switching a light with one identical to it will not produce the same results. Glad you are now saving energy Bkeepr.
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm

our place is a few hundred feet off of a rural state highway, so there are cars going by periodically even at night. Had somebody come in once and steal several filled 5 gal gas cans.

So I like the lights around my outbuildings so I don't need to put a night-vision scope on my rifle. :lol:
Bkeepr

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah, lights are good. ...unless I'm the one trying to make sense of darkness. It is all right there in the daylight... what is this I've come across in the dark? Uhh, okay.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Me, that has done drywall for beer, ... be careful of your lights, they'll burn you like the sun, only quicker. I'm not looking forward to my next rendevoious (?) with mother nature. Seems as it hurts the most when you get back inside. Time to pick up the shovel and clean out the barn.
mowmud

Postby shetland sheepdog » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Arguably the best deal in today's world is metal halide! High efficiency, and no color distortion!
shetland sheepdog

Return to General Discussion