Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Something I've never seen on the Hemlock - icicles

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Something I've never seen on the Hemlock - icicles

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Looked out the kitchen window this afternoon, around 2:30PM, to an amazing sight. One side of the Hemlock tree had icicles hanging from it's boughs, and the other side had none, they'd been melted away by the sun. Further up the road other trees were also covered with ice on their front side.

When I took Jackie for a walk, there was even more. The backside of the trees along the road were sparkling caused by tiny drops of ice hanging all over their branches.

This unusual display occurred because yesterday we started out with some snow, around an inch.Then it warmed up so then it turned into rain until the evening. Temp's dropped below freezing overnight so everything became icy. It's sunny outside even tho' it's cold. So where the sunlight hits bushes, shrubs, and trees the ice melts away.

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Something I've never seen on the Hemlock - icicles

Postby Bamabear » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Little cold, sunny but the wind was cold today, raining all week, but not fussing about it, we need it..stayed home sick today, thought I was coming down with the flu, but just cold and sinus ....
Bamabear

Postby mowmud » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:06 pm

I like it when the wind is barely blowing, sun out and the air is all sparkly with the snowflakes slowly drifting down. Sure is pretty.

I've used my snowshoes a few times so far. My X-country skis haven't been needed yet... thank goodness, I'm getting to old for them things.
mowmud

Postby Bamabear » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:06 am

I remember the Ice storms here , Grandma lived in the middle of a lot of tall pines, they would bend over filled with Ice, very pretty... I remember one particularly in the 60s, lots of ice and snow.... I cannot remember if the power went off or not, most likely,,, it did,,, that was years and years ago... too bad we did not take as many pictures then as we do now.... aaaaaahh memories.......
Bamabear

Postby screamer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 am

Mrs and I stopped at a store here that is surronded by such trees. Each branch tip was adorned with a three inch long icicle. All very uniform. Looked like some crazed Christmas fairy had worked triple overtime. Never saw such a thing before.
screamer

Return to General Discussion