Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

What is the difference between quiet and silence?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

What is the difference between quiet and silence?

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:36 pm

I haven't done a look up of the definitions of quiet and silence. I suspect there would be some similarities.

Why have I thought about these two words. Well because during the winter it is very quiet here. So even though there is a lot happening outside it doesn't penetrate here. The critters are still doing what they need to to survive. But we are not as aware of it. However the word also applies to people being quiet about what they have seen or know.

Now for silence. It seems to me it encompasses quiet also. But, I think it usually has a larger meaning. It includes those people who purposely don't tell others what they know about some action or event. But when it snows it's very silent outside.

How do you think about quiet and silence?

Just wondering. Sometimes I'm just curious about words.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: What is the difference between quiet and silence?

Postby wallsal55 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Well, quiet usually means peaceful environment. Growing up in the country, not much noise. At least, sounds one could live with. Rooster crow, cow moo, Massey Ferguson, dog bark, bird song, train off ten miles away... :D Always had sensitivity to noise. I even want quiet appliances. Decibal levels are important to me.
Silence-- a power outage, sometimes a very welcome thing to me. Or the silence of the woods and pine forests. Our family farm had tons of silence. Zero noise many a time --until a whisper of wind through the pines would surprise you. :D Sometimes it could be so quiet. the effects of isolation could set in. :|
When it comes to people, quiet people are OK with me. Silent people can be way too scary.
wallsal55

Postby Bamabear » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 am

Bamabear

Postby Coffee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am

Yeah, there's the old question, if you had lived in Germany when Hitler was coming to power, would you have tried to oppose him, or just looked the other way and remained silent? What could you have done to oppose Hitler? What would you have done? When would it have become too late to do anything at all? Could you have foreseen the destruction Hitler was bringing to his own country?
Coffee

Postby screamer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Hitler came to power by brining the people jobs, a thriving economy and by production of affordable luxuries they never hoped to own. Some ignored the bad side for the prosperity he brought. Some realized the bad side, but felt like many Americans do today, that all politicians are bad and government moves like a giant roller, over you whether you do any thing or not.
Suppose Hitler did not permit genocide, and he stopped invasions after reuniting the German speaking peoples. Would he have been a hero? Would schools be named after him?
screamer

Postby Coffee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Screamer, in general I agree with your description of how Hitler came to power. I don't know the answer to your hypotheticals. I'd just add, Hitler was ruthless. There was the Beer Hall Putsch (1923, I think). "Wikipedia" states it briefly, like, Mussolini "marched into Rome" and Hitler wanted to do the same thing in Germany, but came to realize he'd have to get elected.
Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 am

Another way it has been stated is, the Allies won the war, but lost the peace, following the First World War.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion