Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Truck Stop Memories

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Truck Stop Memories

Postby wallsal55 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 am

In the 70's we had live bands. Was the thing when the bands quit at 1 a.m. to sometimes take in breakfast with friends before going home. Well, this year, the truck stop restaurant closed and undergoing renovation. Fast foods coming in that part of the building. :| It was one place where the coffee cup was bottomless for many years.
Wide awake here and hungry. Would be so nice to head to a truck stop breakfast if I was that young again ! :lol:
wallsal55

Re: Truck Stop Memories

Postby Bamabear » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:58 am

While trucking with my husband, I loved the truckstop breakfasts. there was one place ,"forgot the name" but it was in ILL. the best, and the one in Austin MN. the man that owned it, made his own smoked sausage, sooooo good. those were the good ole days... miss them
Bamabear

Postby Coffee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:37 am

I think some call this "table top trucking."
One am is a little early for breakfast, but when you're young, what difference does it make?
I remember a Flying J breakfast in Wyoming that was quite wonderful. It was just pancakes, butter, syrup, and coffee. But the buffet looked so good- eggs, French toast, a whole bunch of other foods. Flying J was doing a good business that morning. Little America in Wyoming is a place I have to stop at every time I go through there.
One other great memory I have was stopping at a Love's in Nebraska very early one morning when the car was very low on gas. I was the only customer. Just got gas and coffee. It was still dark out. Collie riding in the back seat. Love's, that truck stop, looked like an oasis of light, one warm place, a lifesaver. Coffee. I've never run out of gas yet :)
Coffee

Postby nadx » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:54 am

i love truck stops...several big ones around my area

always neat to look around and see what all they sell....and some have decent eats too
nadx

Postby mowmud » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Yeah! All the chrome everywhere. Cb's and stylish mud flaps. And it always seemed to be a good smell, coming from the kitchen.

I hauled loads of live catfish. Liquid load. When you drive a truck like that it is only a matter of time before you end up smelling like a sardine left out in the sun a few days. I stopped for fuel, You don't go in food prep areas smelling like I did. It was just wrong.

I always had to order my food to go. Just ain't the same. This was the days before cell phones too... so when I say I ordered ahead, there was no phone call, the folks that ran the place knew which days I was due through.trucks nowadays are alot nicer than what I drove. I even had farm plates... I had to stop at the scales, but they couldn't hold me back. Keep on trucking.

If you can't find 'em... grind'em.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion