Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

On becoming frail

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Re: On becoming frail

Postby chamat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Wylie, I didn't have any choice. I was what it was, and I saw noone...not anybody, no ancestors, no friends that died...nobody but me. I couldn't see anyone in the line, but somehow I knew they were there. It was just me and a lot of blinding light. It wasn't scary or anything bad, it just was bright. Another thing the whole time, I could hear the nurses voices sometimes. At the beginning I heard them and at the end...before waking up. There was one with a screechy voice that kept saying he smells acidic...never smelled someone so acidic. I guess she was talking to another nurse, and she said I wasn't going to make it. When you're in a coma, you can hear everything...even down the hall, but you can't do anything or respond.
No, I don't think you have any choice in the matter...it might be heaven or hell...or you might just come back here. I guess it's up to you...or luck, or whatever. I think I would rather be all by myself in heaven, than be in hell with my family and friends.
chamat

Postby mowmud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Wow! I'm saying it again! Something tells me your an old salt, and be lost at sea. I personally don't wanna get found. Unnecessary expenses. You won't catch me going in a barrel over Niagara falls... yet.

I'm not scared of death. I just still think life is better. You've had a peek to the other side. I like your posts and would like to hear more. You are on that fb thing too. I don't do much with it, just like a last resort contact list.
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 am

I'm glad this discussion went as long as it did. Even if the topic changed, that's okay with me.
My opinion is, as evil as the world can seem, humans have a choice. We are free to choose, to a considerable extent, whether we want to make this place heaven, or that other place. Maybe we can visualize success, or become our thoughts. We can try to become our good thoughts. Mark.
Coffee

Postby chamat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 am

Old salt...strange you said that. I was in the navy once...a big typhoon came to the Philippines, and all ships had to leave port. Didn't go anywhere...just out in the ocean for a few days. Well, it was a big one, and we headed for the eye of it. I was a signalman on the very top of the ship (a small destroyer...DD760) I saw a man fall overboard off the fantail...the back. I knew him, and he was old for being in the navy. Been there his whole adult life...a small, tiny man...didn't weigh a hundred pounds.I reported a man overboard, but nobody did anything. I yelled down the pipe (a brass pipe to the bridge), the boat kept going. I was jumping up and down and telling everybody, but the boat kept on going. I watched him through the big eyes (binoculars long as your arm on a pole) until he went over the horizon. It made me sick. But, I heard later that a helicopter from an air craft carrier went and picked him up....hours later. He got out of the navy right then. That's an old salt. That was a bad storm too.
chamat

Postby Coffee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Chamat, I found DD760 on "Wikipedia." USS John W. Thomason. I also found somewhere all the jobs on that ship, some of which I'd never heard of. There's a pretty good summary on "Wikipedia" of the history of the ship, its missions, what became of it, etc.
Coffee

Postby Lightening Bug » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:19 pm

As I've commented there are a few times I've been frail. When I was younger I had no idea this would be possible.

Well through time I have found that we change in ways we couldn't expect.

So do we allow ourselves to be over come by the physical changes? Or do we look for ways to be hearty and healthy. I opt for the latter way. Read books, search the Internet and don't give up!

The strange thing I've found is it is how you think about your health that seems to make a major difference.
t
When they do research about Placebos they have found that even when you know you are experiencing a placebo you can heal.

I think this says our mind has a greater effect then has been known before.

What say you?

Just some thoughts.

Take care and be better. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby chamat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 am

Yeah, that's the ship. I was a signalman on...blinking light, flag hoist and semaphore. Not used a lot, but it was there. Mainly used for a place for officers to stash their booze and other things. Nobody was allowed to come up there, so it was private. You had the best view, but the motions of the ship were greatly exaggerated up there. While the deck is moving back and forth and to and frow, the signal bridge is moving twenty feet or more. It takes some getting used to.
chamat

Postby chamat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:50 am

Placebos? The navy was big on them...whatever was hurting you, they gave out sugar pills. Take this pink one morning and night...the white one every two hours...the yellow one only when you need it. Non of it worked. I once had tonsilitus, and was sent to the dispensary. They gave me a bag full of pill bottles and a bottle of Chloraseptic. I went back to the ship and had to go see the corpsman...they won't let you bring pills on the ship. He looked at them all, and said they were sugar pills, but he let me keep the Chloraseptic. He looked at my throat and gave me a shot of penicillin. The next day, I was ok. No, don't give me placebos, when I need penicillin. There is a difference.
chamat

Postby Coffee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 am

About mind and health, what I think lately is, go by the old rule of thumb, which is, if you don't feel well or have something that doesn't heal, or is causing pain, go see a medical Doctor. Catch things early, because they say things are easier to treat at an early stage than if you wait too long. I wouldn't attempt to get better by looking at "youtube." You can get information that is useful from "youtube," but I'd get real medical attention first and foremost.
About the Navy, I worked with a guy who was in the Navy for six years. He said he thought he'd get to "see the world." All he got to do was stay right around Norfolk and paint and paint and paint... Paint the ship endlessly. He said he got to go on one voyage all the time he was in, across the Atlantic, into the Mediterranean Sea, didn't get to go ashore, and sailed back to Norfolk.
Chamat, it seems to me you've lived a pretty full life. You know there's an association for DD760? My Dad enjoyed being in an association. He'd call up an old friend in Ohio once in a while.
Coffee

Postby chamat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Yeah, I know about those clubs. But, I never joined. I was a seventeen year old kid when I joined the navy. A tall and tough kid, but still a kid...they picked on me a lot. The saving glory was Saturday night ...smokers they called them. Boxing matches, where somebody picked you to fight. Don't think you had to fight them, but I always did. In high school, I was in a thing called Golden Gloves, and I learned to box...then there were plenty of bare knuckle street fights. I was on the deck every Saturday night...the whole time I was on that ship. And, I never was beat...I was beat up and couldn't see for two days, but I never lost. I think I made more enemies than friends on that ship...so, I just let it go at that.
chamat

Previous

Return to General Discussion