Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

On becoming frail

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Re: On becoming frail

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:18 am

Thank you. I have written several things here...and they just disappeared. I've died and came back too...twice in the same month...twice in a week. It gives one a different outlook on many things. For one, you want to tell everybody about it, and you want to tell everyone that you love them. Of course nobody wants to hear that crap. But, you want to give everything away...well, now you've got friends. They don't care what you saw while dieing, but they like you for giving them your pickup...or snowshoes or whatever.
chamat

Postby Bamabear » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:43 am

chamat what did you see? .glad to see you one here..
Bamabear

Postby screamer » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:25 am

For the last five years, I have had steadily progressing respiratory problems. Seems an allergy like attack comes on at the drop of a hat and I feel like I am drownine in mucus, I cough and hack like an old smoker, but cough up huge amounts of slime. Some times for 20 or 30 minutes and then disappears just as suddenly. Been to docs all up and down the mid atlantic. One wanted a sleep study, another told me to cut out all aspertame, a third doc put me on a medication that knocked me out for hours, and did not help.
screamer

Postby Lightening Bug » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 am

Screamer you might try drinking green tea, grape juice from red grapes. or red wine. There is some scientific research, not a lot, that indicates that resvesterol can help with lung problems. Tea has different substances that also help lung function.

Just some thoughts.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 am

There is a little plastic box with a hose on it...you blow in it...it exercises your lungs. That is the best thing for lungs. I had an Indian doctor give me one of those once, and he got fired from the hospital for that. He came back to visit me several times and see how I was doing. I still have the lung exercise box but don't really need it anymore. You can get them at any pharmacy or WalMart for less than $20. They really work. It got me off the nose hose and sucking for oxygen.
chamat

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:12 am

Voldyne is what mine is, but there's a lot of them now...some less than 5 bucks.
Exercise your lungs...what? Who knew about that. It's a thing...I've had friends die from COPD. I had asthma as a kid...born premature...lungs never developed fully. Smoked 2 to 5 packs of cigarettes a day for many years. Yeah, I have COPD now. Haven't smoked for a dozen years or so, but the damage was done...now just live with it. Inhalers are my friends. Exercise the lungs...really.
chamat

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:31 pm

I've been in the tunnel with the light at the end...wondering what happens next. Well, the light at the end turns to light...light everywhere. Brite, blinding light, but it's more golden right around you , and you can see...what you want to see. You can see far away, but it's still like a tunnel, because it's too bright all around...you can only see what you want to see, and you can see it clearly. Strangely I was in the air above a bank drive through. I saw people lined up and waiting...lots of them, but they weren't going to the bank.They were going to heaven once they got past the drive up. Crazy..I know, but that's what I saw. One minute I was above it all in the light just watching, and the next minute, I was in line with the other people. And, I went back and forth between the two places. One moment above it all, and the next...right in it. With vision like looking through binoculars. But there was blinding light everywhere. And when you wake up in the hospital, and they tell you you died.It makes you wonder if you died and went to heaven or maybe you're in hell.
chamat

Postby mowmud » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:03 am

Wow. Powerful thread. I glanced at this yesterday before I headed out. Wanted to leave a post, but I had to giddy up and go.

I'm not frail. My back makes me feel like I'm 100 years old though. I walk around hunched over. I have a hard time either going from a kneeling position to standing up, and vice versa. As long as I don't have to bend my back, I'm good.

I've never had any near death experiences but I can understand what you are talking about. The way I look at it is we are living in hell right now. Anyplace other has to be better. One thing is a given though, there is no substitute for life.

I'm not sure how much older I want to get. Some folks are better at it than others. Me... I just don't care one way or the other. As long as I'm here though, I try to do my best to be a good neighbor. After all, you spend more time around your neighbors than your family... at least I do. My family members are all fiercely independent.We prefer to stay apart. We get together once in awhile. Sometimes you get that phone call though... and we circle the wagons. We are not your most photogenic group, but when we get together things will change.
mowmud

Postby chamat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 am

Same hospital trip, the doctor (5th one, by the way) and the charge nurse (head nurse on that floor) came in to tell me I was dieing, and they were contacting my next of kin to come get my body. Ok, you ain't going to like it when he gets here. He drove from Texas to Oregon, and I was still alive. He listened to them explain palliative care to me...I would be doped up and feel no pain. It actually sounded pretty good. I told them no, that I would be fine. No, no, no you're going to die. My brother said it sounds like he wants to live. Anyway, they put me in an old folks home to die with palliative care. That didn't go good. I pissed off a nurse who gave me a pain pill that sent me back to the emergency room. Couple of days in intensive care, and I was right back where I started.
chamat

Postby Coffee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am

I found a lot of quotes about heaven on goodreads.com. I didn't even have time to scratch the surface of heaven quotes. Here are two:
1. Mark Twain: "Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."
2. Sam Levenson: "If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the up button."

Some of the quotes about heaven are quite deep, like those "reading for comprehension" exam questions you might have seen in school. Mark Twain is quite to the point and straightforward :)
Coffee

Postby chamat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Next to the nurses station...a new bunch of nurses. They rotate them every week there from floor to floor...nine floors. Well, I had the same nurses as before. What, you're back...I thought. Yeah, I know, but I'm still here. Anyway, a couple of more weeks, and they put me in a van...strapped down in a wheelchair. The driver was a long haired kid with earrings from Portland. He had never been to southern Oregon. I had to give him directions to the highway. We made it somehow...running off the road on both sides. I was strapped in a wheelchair...quite a ride. We got to the Roseburg VA hospital ok. The doctor there told me my numbers weren't good enough for admission. They went before the board and said no...he ain't going to make it. Somebody said wait...his knees are service connected. They operated on them in the service...we have to take him. So they did...begrudgingly take me.
chamat

Postby Bamabear » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:34 pm

thank you for your reply... that is awesome...Bless you!
Bamabear

Postby Coffee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Yes, chamat, thank you for your story and the time and effort it took you to put it here. Amazing story. Mark.
Coffee

Postby Alias » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 am

chamat wrote:There is a little plastic box with a hose on it...you blow in it...it exercises your lungs. That is the best thing for lungs.

Thanks Charmat for your suggestion but, I have one of those breathing exercise devices which I use twice or three times every day. Which, is very helpful, but, it doesn't do anything for the pollen in the air. Additionally, I have a nebulizer that I also use.

My lungs, according to the professionals, are in strong condition, but, my allergies and post nasal drip does a number on the old bronchial tubes. The result is that I cough up a lot of slimy mucus like what Screamer described above. I know I fare better at the sea shore where the wind off the ocean pushes any pollen further inland.

You should write a book about your after life experiences.......gfp
Alias

Postby GazaGuru » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 am

WOW. What an powerful thread.

Chamat. You have experienced something very few have comeback from. Glad you're still with us.

You mentioned heaven and hell. If I have a choice I'd choose hell. I'd be too lonely in heaven. :mrgreen:

Wylie
GazaGuru

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion