Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

cowboy hats/brands

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

cowboy hats/brands

Postby nadx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 am

what is your favorite brand and type of cowboy hat if you have any? anyone have a brand they like? i just came across a thrift store find...it is a resistol black felt hat...very nice hat---got me to wondering
nadx

Re: cowboy hats/brands

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 am

Don't know about now, but it used to be Stetson. All of their hats were considered to be high quality and, if taken care of, lasted a long time.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby chamat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 am

Resistol hats are one of the best and one of my favorites. But, I have gone through a lot of hats. I once won an American hat worth several hundred dollars, but I gave it to a gal, because it was too stiff for me. Once had a Stetson wooley that had fur a half inch thick on it...don't know what happened to it. Still have a lot of hats, but I've left a lot behind. They used to have hat check people at dance halls. They took your hat and gave you a ticket and stuck one on the hat. When you went to leave, your hat was gone. Lots of trouble over that, so they quit doing it.
chamat

Postby GazaGuru » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Australian made "Akubra" Sold all over the world. I've had one for over 25 years, rarely wear it.

Wylie
GazaGuru

Postby nadx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

nadx

Postby nadx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm

chamat wrote:Resistol hats are one of the best and one of my favorites. But, I have gone through a lot of hats. I once won an American hat worth several hundred dollars, but I gave it to a gal, because it was too stiff for me. Once had a Stetson wooley that had fur a half inch thick on it...don't know what happened to it. Still have a lot of hats, but I've left a lot behind. They used to have hat check people at dance halls. They took your hat and gave you a ticket and stuck one on the hat. When you went to leave, your hat was gone. Lots of trouble over that, so they quit doing it.

good stuff ---interesting post!
nadx

Postby nadx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:50 pm

LB ====yep,,,Stetson hats ---very nice----my old roomie had one, well, two...when we used to go to the BIG country night club together..he lent me his white one and he wore his black one...i always wanted to wear the black one lol---wow that was years ago
nadx

Postby RinKy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am

RinKy

Postby nadx » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm

sweet Rinky
nadx

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:19 am

Some years ago, I had a wife that had watched a movie about Australian cowboys. That year for Christmas I got an Outback coat and hat. Thick tent material...some heavy canvas with oil and wax. The instructions said not to wash it. Brand new it looked ok, but it was heavy. It was heavy and cost more than a small pickup. To please my wife, I wore the thing around the place. I ain't kidding this thing weighted a lot. Was riding colts then, and they got spooky when I came walking up to them in that coat. It came to the top of my boots.
chamat

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:38 am

Of course spooking colts is good for them, so I wore it a lot fooling with the horses, and they got used to it. Feed em, ride em, brush em, everything with this big coat on. Well, there was calving and nut cutting and other things going on that got on this humongous, heavy waxed and oiled coat. I was in Oregon at the time, and it did keep the constant rain off of the saddle, but it stunk...bad. I gave it away...I was able to stand up straight again. People ask me about those Outback coats...I just say try one...you might like it.
chamat

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 am

Just like the tin pants in Oregon...Orygun.Don't like that...they stink...bad. I know that's all they can do...it's traditional. It rains all the time, and you want to stay dry. Tin pants will keep you dry...but they stink...bad.
chamat

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:27 am

Now, hopefully I'm done with going everywhere. Pretty much any hat will work. Right now this minute, I have a ...what a Sunbody or something like that ...let me look........Sun Body Hats Houston, Texas.palm leaf. It's a good hat...a little heavy but not too bad. It works for winter or summer, but it's hot in the summer...not as hot as felt.
chamat

Postby GazaGuru » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi chamat. That coat and hat you spoke of would prolly be "DRIZABONE" They are heavy but last for years. I read some years ago that when John Wayne was making the movie HAITARI in South Africa the crew ordered DRIZABONE coats, jackets ect from Australia to wear during heavy rain.

BTW. Australian cowboys are called "ringers" or "jackaroos".

Wylie
GazaGuru

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm

I once hired a hot air balloon for a wedding...yeah, I got married in a hot air balloon. They have a ground crew to go around and get permission to land. Well, the head of the ground crew was a jackaroo from Australia and a real nice guy. He was a bit mouthy and somewhat cocky.I got along with him fine.But, the people in southern Oregon had a hard time with him. He would ask permission to land the balloon, and they all said no...all said no. What the heck...no landing...it was the jackaroo. He had a way of chapping people's ...want to. Before the flight, he told me he was a jackaroo. We were in ranching country in southern Oregon, and I thought everything would be fine. He was on the radio with the guy flying the balloon. No can't land here...nor there either. The short balloon ride turned into a 4 hour ride. I didn't mind a bit...I enjoyed the whole thing. New wife...not so much fun for her...but she's gone now. Yeah I know about jackaroos.We finally landed in a sewer treatment plant...between two turd ponds. It was the weekend and nobody there to tell us no landing. Yeah, I know one jackaroo. Fun times.
chamat

Next

Return to General Discussion