Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Protein drinks - Consumer Reports review, wow!

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Protein drinks - Consumer Reports review, wow!

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:08 pm

In a search for info about whether advice for Seniors to increase their protein intake is accurate. I found a lot of good scientific info. But also found this Consumer Reports article about Protein drinks. Wow, some of them have unhealthy ingredients, and give incorrect advice about how many should be consumed in a day. That's what we need - something used to be more healthy that might possibly make you sick. A little arsenic anyone?

Thought some of you might find this report interesting.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/protein-drinks/index.htm

Have you tried protein drinks? I have to admit I've thought about trying green shakes. But haven't done it yet.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Protein drinks - Consumer Reports review, wow!

Postby wallsal55 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm

None of them have ever tasted that good to me. One I can drink is Naked (Red Machine). High in fruits and fruit fiber. Never thrilled by the ingredients listed in protein drinks. Nor do I want to consume more than 12-15 carbs a serving.
wallsal55

Postby Bamabear » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:31 am

I never ever drink those...
Bamabear

Postby Coffee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:38 pm

I've never tried protein drinks, and/or protein powder. I did try some vegan yogurt in the past year, just to see how I liked it. The vegan yogurt tasted pretty good. What can be in vegan yogurt? Soy, almond, or coconut milk, among other things, I'm pretty sure. Some people take issue with using cow's milk. They have their reasons. Some will say humans are the only animals who drink milk that comes from another species. Etc.
Coffee

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:16 pm

I drink the Ensure milkshakes, because I like em. As far as other animals go, I've seen dogs chase a longhorn cow into a corner and nurse her...yeah, right along with her 2 year old bull calf. I had to ask my momma about that...never did understand. I have a friend with a cat. The cat is wild, but it hangs around. The cat will catch a mouse and bring it to a corner of the slab...concrete slab. Cat pokes a hole in the mouse and drinks the milk that comes out. It's only a drop...poke another hole and get another drop. When the mouse is out of milk, just let it go. It's different to watch.But yes, different animals drink milk from other species...all the time.
chamat

Postby Coffee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:35 pm

When I worked third shift, I used to drink those shakes from a can, but they weren't Ensure or Boost. I forget what they were called. They were fairly good and full of vitamins, according to the label. They needed to be kept cold and you had to shake the can for a while before opening. Made you feel good for a while. I think I stopped drinking them because they had considerable sugar in them. Six of them were expensive, too. I didn't drink a lot of them. Just plain food, a packed lunch for 4:00 am, seemed best. Between 3:00 am and 4:00 am in a hotel, gets real quiet.
Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Ultra Slim Fast, in cans. Chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. Haven't seen them in a while and haven't looked, either. McDonalds shakes taste much better. Moderation, everybody knows about moderation.
Coffee

Postby lamar fudd1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:30 pm

I have type 2 diabetes. My kidney Dr. told me that too much protein is hard on the kidneys, especially for diabetics, which many of us are. I have lost some function in them and don't want to lose any more.
lamar fudd1

Postby Lightening Bug » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm going to keep this short.

Something simple that is not discussed enough is drinking water is important. Why, because it thins out your blood.

Some say first thing in the morning drink water. It is not a diuretic. Coffee is, but it appears your body readjusts to the caffeine. Well it seems to me if something as simple as drinking water works to keep your blood flow good. I think it should be part of your daily regimen.

Just some thoughts.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby lamar fudd1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 am

LB, you are absolutely correct. I get up at 4:30 every day and make myself a large glass of ice water. Coffee is after I've helped my wife at her job as kitchen manager. I have approximately a gallon of water daily, as I intend to be around when she finally retires. (Yeah, I 'robbed the cradle'-she's seven years younger) 41 years with the same girl makes me an oddity amongst certain groups. LB, I noticed you became a member on MY Birthday, or as I say to anyone that asks, "I was born in the First Half of the Last Century".
lamar fudd1

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Lamar Fudd, the amount of water one can drink probably depends on how active you are. Often I need to remind myself to drink water, maybe I should drop a slice of lemon in it sometimes. Most of the time I tend to drink coffee or tea.

Until recently I didn't realize what a difference drinking water can make. In some long term studies they had observed that women who drink an average of 5-6 glasses of water each day live longer and healthier lives.

Sounds nice that you and your wife work together.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Return to General Discussion