Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

One thing after another

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

One thing after another

Postby rkunsaw » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:44 am

First the water heater leak ruined the floor. We got that fixed better than it was before. This started about a week before Christmas I haven't got the bill yet but I called yesterday and the total comes to $8,953.00. The good news is insurance will pay most or maybe all of the cost.

Next my wife's explorer battery keeps discharging. This has been going on a long time. I finally bought a new battery but it didn't help. Have an appointment at the shop Monday to see if they can find what's draining the battery.

And just two days ago our dishwasher quit. The flashing light, according to the manual, means call a repairman. I called and he will be coming Tuesday.

Also I need to buy a new tire for the lawnmower.

It's one thing after another
rkunsaw

Re: One thing after another

Postby mowmud » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 am

It does seem that problems have a way of ganging all up at one time. It sucks.

Hopefully you put a catch pan under your water heater. It won't stop a full blown leak but will prolong small ones such as condensation or ones so slow that you can't detect them at installation. The water evaporates out of the pan faster than it accumulates.

To me, it appears you will be buying an alternator for the truck. The tire, if not totally shot, I'd put a tube in it. Double the life at 1/3 the cost.
Dishwasher... hmm. Flashing lights? Did the popo come and take your dishwasher away or do you really have to wait until Tuesday? :P :P :P

My hassles started with my 4 wheeler winch. It raises and lowers my blade. So with a small fence post as a lever, some cable and a couple pulleys, made a hand lift that works fair but I like the winch better. Springtime fix. Snowblower idles great but won't take a load good like a 8 horse should. Rear frame on the wifes car broke about a week ago. Found the replacement sub frame but they want $1100 for it. Gotta think on that. We're gonna go and look at some used vehicles today. See what we see. Decent day for a wintertime roadtrip.

Good luck with your issues.
mowmud

Postby wallsal55 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 am

Yes, things do come in threes or more sometimes. I remember appliances conking out when we were married 15 years. (1993) Then a lot of mini-van transmissions. ('90's) Then...Flat tires, short-lived brakes, used vehicles by the numbers in the late '90's to 2008. Then 2016-2017 get new appliances again (37th-38th anniversary years) Small bathroom needed complete overhaul.
I can handle one or two projects (maybe), but three or more works on my nerves.
wallsal55

Postby Alias » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am

When I was young I did all my own repairs. But, now that I'm older than dirt and walking around on refurbished knee joints, with an ever present lower back pain, repairs by me, are out of the question. The saddest thing of all is that we live in a throw-a-way society and, things are no longer built to last. And, I don't want to even go into the cost of hiring a repairman.

As soon as spring arrives I will hire a roofing contractor to remove and replace the shingles on our house. And, there's a bunch of other things I want to have done. All of which, I would have done myself 10 or 15 years ago............gfp
Alias

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:28 pm

Those things are minor...you'll be fine...don't worry...be happy.
chamat

Postby smugpug » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Sorry to hear your having problems one after another. I seem to be plagued with that also.
smugpug

Postby rkunsaw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 am

Alias wrote:When I was young I did all my own repairs. But, now that I'm older than dirt and walking around on refurbished knee joints, with an ever present lower back pain, repairs by me, are out of the question. The saddest thing of all is that we live in a throw-a-way society and, things are no longer built to last. And, I don't want to even go into the cost of hiring a repairman.

As soon as spring arrives I will hire a roofing contractor to remove and replace the shingles on our house. And, there's a bunch of other things I want to have done. All of which, I would have done myself 10 or 15 years ago............gfp

Me too George. Lots of things I used to do but not anymore.

I don't think it's the alternator, we'll find out today.

A tube in the tire won't last long around here,

Yes, except for the water heater leak and floor damage, the other things are minor. They just all came at once.
rkunsaw

Return to General Discussion