Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Glycemic index snd glycemic load - useful or not?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Glycemic index snd glycemic load - useful or not?

Postby Lightening Bug » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:08 am

Sometime ago, about a year or two, I read a good article about the differences between the glycemic index and glycemic load. I've tried to locate the article again with no luck. However there are are number of articles that discuss research and describe factors that affect the actual numbers from different foods.

So I did find another article that examined the factors that affect glycemic effects of food. It appears that using the glycemic load to determine which food to eat is helpful. But as you'll see below, as with so many things, there is some controversy. What else is new?

From the article below -

Limitations of the concept of GI and GL

The immediate effects of carbohydrates on an individual's blood glucose concentration are of interest not only for nutritional guidance but the glucose concentration has various health implications as well42.

Although several studies have focused on GI and GL to determine the rates of digestion and absorption of different carbohydrate sources58 and though they are widely used, commercially and for research purposes to measure the rates at which dietary carbohydrates are hydrolysed in the digestive system42 and absorbed into the bloodstream with the aim of managing or preventing type 2 diabetes, the validity of GI and GL as therapeutic guides for these purposes is still controversial.

Skeptics have over time, questioned the fundamental properties of these functional measures for these purposes, including their reproducibility64–66.

A major reason for these controversies is the fact that the rate of digestion of carbohydrates varies with health status, race, and gender and as such, the human subjects used to test varieties of food for their GI and GL in in vivo assays must be carefully chosen.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4994556/

I was surprised to read in this article how food is prepared can make a huge difference in the effect on how it's digested. I had heard it before but this article goes into more detail.

Thought some of you would find this of interest also.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Glycemic index snd glycemic load - useful or not?

Postby chamat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Race and gender have something to do with it??? Well let me think about it. I seem to recall that mainly fat people have it. Same thing with dementia...huh? Fat people get it in my world. I don't know...it may be different where you're at. I have had friends go into a diabetic coma...and they weren't very fat. White guys and Indian guys...American indians. They were fine until they got a little overweight...then it was problems.A friend of mine from childhood got it...diabetes. Handsome guy married the prettiest girl in school...momma and daddy rich. Well, he got diabetes...they cut off one leg, but he kept going...heck he was rich and had a beautiful wife and family. Well, the doctors decided the other leg needs to come off too.He didn't go for that...killed himself. Be careful with diabetes.
chamat

Re: Glycemic index snd glycemic load - useful or not?

Postby Lightening Bug » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 am

Further down in the article you will find an interesting statement regarding fats and acids.

Check it out -

Fat

Fat increases the time it takes for food to leave the stomach and enter the intestine. By slowing the rate at which dietary carbohydrates are digested in the intestine, fatcontaining foods may affect the rise in blood sugar and yield a lower GI than similar foods without fat. For example, the GI of potato chips is 57, French fries is 75 and baked potato is 8553.

Acidity

Acid in food slows down stomach emptying, thereby slowing the rate at which dietary carbohydrates are digested. Thus increasing the acidity in a meal can lower its GI and blood glucose45. These factors as enumerated above therefore tend to affect the validity and reproducibility of GIs and GLs of foods.

Well I've read about the effect of acids but the effect of fats is somewhat new to me. I know that fats are digested first. So that might explain why they slow the digestion of other foods.

Interesting.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Return to General Discussion