Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Car Shopping

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Car Shopping

Postby mowmud » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:43 am

Okay, I'm not a car guy. Yesterday we went and looked at one that was identical to our Matrix. I was thinking it was maybe a southern car for 5k. Nope. It had the same problem as ours. Theirs just hasn't broke yet. $5000 ... get out of here. For a 2005? Why the heck would a southern car have 4 wheel drive?

We shopped some more. A few test drives later, we settled upon a choice. We bought a 2014 Jeep Patriot for $9700. Payments are $175 a month. That is an easy monthly payment. We can make an extra payment every now and then and turn that 6 year loan into a 4 year loan.

Yup. It even has room for the dog. Other than that though, it is a no frills type of buggy. It is 4 wheel, er, all wheel drive. There is a difference.

Wahoo! Whoot! I won't have to work on this thing for another 8 to 10 years, besides basic maintenance.(fingers crossed and hoping for the best) By that time I'll have it figured out. If it don't rust up and go away, I'll have something to work on.

I have a pic. It is not the one we bought but it is identical, right down to the color. Ohh! O yeah... I can crawl underneath this one if the need arises.
newJeep.jpg
newJeep.jpg (6.12 KiB) Viewed 355 times
mowmud

Re: Car Shopping

Postby Coffee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:57 am

There are Jeep Patriots around here. I considered possibly buying one, not long ago, but never test drove one. If you drive your Patriot "with love," (comes from the old VW repair guide by John Muir, which got greasy and I recycled or let go), your new used car ought to last a long time. I still keep one eye open for a Wrangler, but the prices are unaffordable. There are those (Wranglers) with over 100,000 miles on them, made in 2005, price maybe $6,000 plus or minus, but no thank you.
For your 2014, you paid roughly what we would have to pay around here. Depends on how many miles are on it and maybe Carfax report. Hope you folks and your dog enjoy the Patriot 8-)
Coffee

Postby chamat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:38 pm

I see a lot of Jeeps around here (west Texas) anymore. I guess they do good. There's a lot more than there used to be, and you see them on the road everywhere. I drive a single cab Ford pickup truck...no carpet or anything like that. They tell me you can't get that...well, there it is. Good luck with your new car...it looks nice.
chamat

Postby mowmud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Yup. It is a good car. I get it muddy sooner or later but thats not my call. O o hh..oh from here on out I refer to it as the 'buggy'.

It has a locker! On a CVT no less. I ain't tried it yet. I need to to before I set my old lady loose in it. It is hers though, she goes where she wants. I made the mistake of showing her where the locker was. I know she is gonna pull that lever when she has the wheels spinning 120 MPH.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion