Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Paul Harvy - And God made the Farmer

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Paul Harvy - And God made the Farmer

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:36 am

I've seen parts of God made a Farmer. Didn't know Paul Harvy wrote and used it in a speech and other places.

Thought you might enjoy reading it too.

Here's part of it and the URL for it .

And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker"

-- so God made a Farmer.

God said, "I need somebody willing to get up before dawn, milk cows, work all day in the fields, milk cows again, eat supper, then go to town and stay past midnight at a meeting of the school board"

-- so God made a Farmer.

"I need somebody with arms strong enough to rustle a calf and yet gentle enough to deliver his own grandchild; somebody to call hogs, tame cantankerous machinery, come home hungry, have to wait lunch until his wife’s done feeding visiting ladies, then tell the ladies to be sure and come back real soon -- and mean it"

-- so God made a Farmer.

God said, "I need somebody willing to sit up all night with a newborn colt, and watch it die, then dry his eyes and say, 'Maybe next year.' I need somebody who can shape an ax handle from a persimmon sprout, shoe a horse with a hunk of car tire, who can make harness out of haywire, feed sacks and shoe scraps; who, planting time and harvest season, will finish his forty-hour week by Tuesday noon, and then pain’n from tractor back,' put in another seventy-two hours"

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/paulharveysogodmadeafarmer.htm

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Paul Harvy - And God made the Farmer

Postby wallsal55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 pm

One of my favorites ! Thanks ! Also, I believe he had one he read or wrote: All I ever needed to know I learned from a dirt road. I think it's been on here before.
wallsal55

Postby chamat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 pm

It doesn't work that way...things have changed. Anymore is different from then.Now is now and then was then...totally different. The government subsidses the farmers...completely. ..to where they own them...completely. All of the farms now were inherited from their parents or somebody. The people just grow whatever their parents grew...whatever keeps the farm. The government checks will be enough to hold back the bankers...just barely. Most of the people don't even understand it...only the c few that went to Texas Tech or some other college that showed them how to fill out the papers. That is the most important part of farming...knowing how to fill out the papers, so you can get your subsidies. It's sad but true. The most successful farmers in this area are in the Caribbean right now.
chamat

Postby kyle18 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:45 pm

i remember listening to him in VIET NAM -
kyle18

Postby chamat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Me too.I was there in 1969 and 70. He must have been on the radio for 20 or30 years after that. He made a lot of money ttelling people what he thought they wanted to hear, but it wasn't right or even close to being right. He was a radio talker trying to make a zillion dollafs.I think he did that...good for him. The feel good strories about the dogs and farmers and other things were interesting and made him an audience, but they were all bull....He was a radio announcer...a radio announcer that put out a lot of bulls...whatever flyed. He was a good one, but still it was bull.... Don't eat any of that grandma...it might be sh..
chamat

Postby mowmud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:01 pm

I remember listening to Paul Harvey when I was a wee one. Not junior, he did pretty good too. The old Mr. Harvey. I never did really have a favorite. They were all good. Each story had a moral. Unless he warned at the beginning 'Can you believe this?' . I'm not certain, but I think he got his start in upstate NY. We young ones would all jump in the station wagon or Buick Electra and head for town. AM radio was the only thing then. The closer we got to Pulaski, the better the radio came in. Come to find out, the AM station was broadcasting out of the place we were going. Agway. Right next to the Salmon River. First time I ever seen a gas powered woodsplitter. Guess what... Paul Harvey was there too. I was much to young to appreciate it then.

As for the farmers around here they are still independent. When it comes to the high dollar equipment like combines and tenders, they work on shares. They have a co-op loan on the big stuff. Don't get me wrong, farming is big around here, but have you ever priced equipment like that?

We have a short growing season. When I say combines are running 24 hours, they do. There is more profit in a successful crop than on a subsidized crop, same as crop insurance. If you have the insurance it will reimburse you fuel expenses and seed. Not labor or wear and tear. And there is no profit.

If you have a bad year, your equipment starts getting neglected. Makes it tougher the next year. Get two years like that in a row and your done.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 pm

I just watched the video and I agree with everything.
mowmud

Postby chamat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm

It runs 24 hours a day here too. This is solid cotton country. But I guarantee you the people that own it are in Korea watching the Olympics or somewhere like that. They're not out in the barn trying to milk a kicking cow. That house they live in is 2 million dollars at least...100 million in tractors and land...or more. No, I don't live in one of them, but I'm surrounded by them.
chamat

Postby mowmud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:15 pm

I come from the land of cotton. Never confuse a cotton picker with a combine. Two very different things. Here in NY, I have raw cotton bows sitting on the mantel of the fireplace I don't use. I picked them the last time I was down visiting. Cotton is durable. Like my Ma.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:17 pm

BTW... cotton pickers are much easier to fix than a combine.
mowmud

Postby chamat » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:27 am

Cotton strippers here cost a half a million dollars, and you don't work on them. You have to take them back to the dealership..for anything. $500, 000
No, you take it back and let them do it. Void the warranty, and you have an expensive pasture ornament. Yeah, it ain't right, but that's the way it is.
chamat

Postby nadx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 am

the god made a farmer super bowl commercial is one of the most successful commercials all time, this year they tried to do it again with MLKjr speech....but it backfired---angry folks didnt like the fact that they were selling dodge pickups off of a sermon

but ill bet MLK's family made money and was paid handsomely for right to the speech
nadx

Return to General Discussion