Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

An article about electrolytes and our diets

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

An article about electrolytes and our diets

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 am

Off and on I''ve looked for articles about electrolytes. This time I did a search for potassium and sodium to find out how medications affect their levels. Among other sites there were some about electrolytes displayed that I didn't find before. There has been some research that indicates the average American diet doesn't include foods that have enough magnesium. This results in the body not being able to absorb sodium and potassium the way it should.

Thought the one below was interesting -

According to a 2017 article in the Huffington Post, obtaining sufficient dietary magnesium to maintain an optimal sodium and potassium balance includes eating foods like fruits, vegetables like kale and spinach, seafood and dark chocolate. These foods are a rich source of both magnesium and potassium.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/530885-the-effect-of-magnesium-on-sodium-potassium-balance/

I wonder if levels of potassium and sodium could affect the immune system or cause low levels of inflammation.

Thought some of you might find it of interest too.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Return to General Discussion