Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

be honest - this is important

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

be honest - this is important

Postby kyle18 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 am

ok - i am a VIET NAM VET - i part time work at a hardware store 2 days a week - most every day some vet will come in and tell me i should go get coverage for P.T.S.D. - THEY SAY ALL VETS CAN DO THIS - i do have hearing loss and get 40 % because of this however i don`t have flashbacks like ptsd - i do have nightmares if i watch war movies - and i have noticed my PATIENCE is getting less and less - simple little things get me mad - if my wife dosen`t hear me and ask me to repeat it it upsets me - well i really don`t know how to resolve this - WHAT WOULD YOU DO - THANKS
kyle18

Re: be honest - this is important

Postby Willy-N » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:00 am

Your best bet would be to go to a counselor at a VA Center and have a talk with them about it and see if they can help you. The disability process is a long road if it was not for my wife I would have gave up a long time ago! They have groups or single person help out there for all vets and service personal if needed.
Willy-N

Postby Red Dave » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:14 am

By all means if you are a Vet and think the VA can help you, go see them. That is what they are there for. You earned that right.

However, I find that I too am getting shorter of patience as I get older too, and I am not a Veteran. I think a lot of it comes from getting older.
Red Dave

Postby sunfighter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:57 am

I don't know if it's changed, but, when they first started giving out disability pay for PTSD, many vets were surprised to find that since this was listed as a mental issue, they were no longer allowed to buy or possess a firearm. I decided at the time that the 10% payment wasn't worth my giving up my right to bear arms.
That said, I do believe it's good advice to at least discuss this with a VA counselor.
sunfighter

Postby Bkeepr » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm a vet who never saw combat.

The country owes you help with disabilities that were caused by your service. There's no telling whether your symptoms are the result of service, or some other causation--like just getting older. None of us here is a doc, and even the docs don't always agree about PTSD!

But if you think you might have PTSD symptoms related to your military service, then go to the VA and ask. Answer the doc's questions honestly, and let them decide. Unfortunately, part of the overcrowding problems at VA is that there are some vets who are trying to "game the system" and get disability for something they know they don't have...and that hurts those who truly need the help.

But if you've got a question in your own mind, then for God's sake, don't hesitate, go and seek help now.

Good luck.
Bkeepr

Postby Lightening Bug » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:14 pm

I agree with what others have recommended. It might help to go to the VA and get a review and assessment of what you experienced while in Vietnam and after you came home.

I looked for information about services the VA provides for Vietnam vets. I will spend more time looking for better sites than what I've found so far.

But I did find a discussion about partial PTSD, and also some commentary that over time some vets develop new symptoms.

From the article below -

As opposed to full PTSD, Weiss et al. (1992) found that a substantial number of Vietnam Veterans had current partial PTSD, with even higher prevalence rates for lifetime partial PTSD (see Table 1

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/research-bio/research/vietnam-vets-study.asp

Don't wish to convey anything but hope that you will find you receive prompt, effective assistance from the VA.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Willy-N » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:30 pm

I re/read what you wrote again. There are lots of Men in your boots and were never in the service. PTSD is a rated Disability and not easy to get by just saying your having arguments with your wife now and then. Now when your on your 2nd or 3rd wife, spend most nights at a bar alone and not at home. Or add in you have had 20-30 jobs since Vietnam but could never hold one down very long. Did Drugs both legal and Illegal to sedate yourself a lot till it ruined your family life. Become a loner to getaway from crowds and city life is something you hate pretty much. Don't trust the government anymore and I won't even go into nightmares caused by things not even normal for a 18 year old kid to do and see. I am over 150% Disabled added up but only 50% PTSD it is not the highest thing COPD is at 80% Service Connected Army and other Nerve Related problems, hearing ect. I wish all I had for a problem is my wife not hearing or understanding me at times. Please Don't take that wrong either not meant to be mean. It takes years of history to build a case with on PTSD and Health related is a whole new ball game. If I was healthy I would be making a killing on wildfires which I loved to do and still working. I am almost in stage 4 on my COPD and it sucks but I keep moving all the time.
Willy-N

Postby mowmud » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 am

I've never been in the service. Not for lack of trying.

I'm a young one on here. Just coming up on our 10 year anniversary. We've been together for 28 years though. Neither of us was married before, and neither of us had kids.

It seems to me, that after a certain period of time, a good debate(argument) keeps the day real. I'm set in my ways, but I am also open to other opinions. You don't get that without a debate.

Maybe a set of his and her hearing aids? You should listen to what the other side is saying.

:mrgreen: :twisted: Awhile back.. I had the wife put on a hearing aid, then she heard herself. Scared her. She doesn't yell as much anymore.
mowmud

Postby Alias » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:20 am

kyle18 wrote:ok - i am a VIET NAM VET - i part time work at a hardware store 2 days a week - most every day some vet will come in and tell me i should go get coverage for P.T.S.D. - THEY SAY ALL VETS CAN DO THIS - i do have hearing loss and get 40 % because of this however i don`t have flashbacks like ptsd - i do have nightmares if i watch war movies - and i have noticed my PATIENCE is getting less and less - simple little things get me mad - if my wife dosen`t hear me and ask me to repeat it it upsets me - well i really don`t know how to resolve this - WHAT WOULD YOU DO - THANKS

I never went into combat so I can't begin to know anything about ptsd. However, I do know from personal experience that one's patience grows thin in direct proportion to age. Mostly, I get impatient with myself more than others because I cannot do ordinary, everyday, things as easily now as when I was younger. Which, highly infuriates me. Fortunately, most times it passes within mere moments, thanks God.

I'm sure there are medications which will help you control the situation. As for myself, I drink soothing chamomile tea and avoid spicy foods which has a calming effect...........gfp
Alias

Postby wallsal55 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Lots of great advice here. Worth having it evaluated. The movies/films would be a visual trigger or reminder resulting in nightmares. There are new studies now that are redefining PTSD & it's causes. There is strong evidence now that PTSD is contagious. All new stuff.
I believe I have had PTSD although not in war. But life experiences that made me "frozen, stuck, traumatized as an adult. The diagnosis I got was OCD and related anxiety. But I truly believe I had both.
The medication(s) I got helped. Yes, extremely impatient with my spouse's hearing loss ! Inpatient with a lot of now at 62. But I have my medications on hand if needed if symptoms recurr.
I did a lot of research myself, worked as a peer support group leader for DBSA for 3 years. I even had to tell the P' doc which anti-anxiety med I had experience with, wanted to take, and that it was better for me than ativan. (it was hard work!)
My last suggestion is to see if any of this impatience affects your BP. (I ended up fainting & in ER)
I don't do BP meds, but there's no salt, low salt, no MSG, no cold cuts, weak coffee, weak tea or no caffeine. BP is marvelous now!
Impatience is usually a sign I need a time out Or it's taken a long, long time--but I think spouse and I are learning how to hear each other. Sorta like learning a new language.
wallsal55

Return to General Discussion