Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Revisiting food fraud and fake foods.

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Revisiting food fraud and fake foods.

Postby Lightening Bug » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:56 pm

I've just finished rereading Real Food Fake Food, what you don't know you're eating and what you can do about it. Some of the topics he covers have become known problems such as honey and olive oil. However he also discusses other foods like coffee. For some reason the first time I read the book I didn't pick up on the weird ingredients in some coffee and how even coffee beans may not be what the label says they are.

What I didn't realize is when buying premade foods you need to look at the back of the package to ensure that if the front says it has, say Maple sugar, that it does by checking the list of contents. His book has come out in paperback, think I'm going to

One good thing he does is to make recommendations about how to find good products.

Thought some of you would find this of interest. How do you find products that are what they say.

A Goodreads summary -

Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It is an investigative overview of the food industry's often intentional efforts to mislead consumers about the origin and identity of the products that they eat. Author Larry Olmsted highlights the most outrageous examples of food frauds perpetrated upon the American people and offers recommendations for ways that consumers can reclaim their grocery bags and fill their dinner plates with foods they can trust.

Fake foods are ubiquitous, but most Americans fail to realize that they are being duped.

http://time.com/money/4326354/fake-olive-oil-food-fraud/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2018/04/12/the-latest-food-fraud-and-what-you-can-do-to-protect-yourself/#6c1360fb5618

Have a great day! :D
Lightening Bug

Return to General Discussion