Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

New Baler

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

New Baler

Postby Texas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 am

Baled my first hay Saturday with my new JD round baler. The old one was just to wore out to repair anymore.

When I look at a field of round bales and think about how many square bales they equate to.....and all the labor required to handle thousands of square bales my back starts to hurt LOL.

I truly hope the individual who invented the round baler is a millionaire many times over. They deserve it!

Red
Texas

Re: New Baler

Postby Red Dave » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 pm

I don't know who invented the round baler, but I have plenty of experience with small, square bales. We baled alfalfa in May and June, then when the wheat or barley was combined in early July, we baled the straw. After the alfalfa, handling straw bales was like picking up marshmallows, they were so light.

The part I liked best was that I was not yet old enough for a drivers license, but I was old enough to drive a tractor pulling a wagon load of hay on the road from the field to the barn.

I got $1 an hour and thought I was rich.
Red Dave

Postby Pete359 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Texas wrote:Baled my first hay Saturday with my new JD round baler. The old one was just to wore out to repair anymore.

When I look at a field of round bales and think about how many square bales they equate to.....and all the labor required to handle thousands of square bales my back starts to hurt LOL.

I truly hope the individual who invented the round baler is a millionaire many times over. They deserve it!

Red

What model did you get? What did it replace?
Pete359

Postby Texas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:43 am

Hi Pete,

I bought a new 2017 JD 469 Megawide, net wrap and twine capable. Ill always use net wrap but its nice to know I have the twine option.

It replaced a 1985 JD 530 that had 28,000+ bales run through her. Ill keep her as a spare but she really needs all new sprockets, chains, belts, pickup teeth, shafts etc. etc. And tires.

Red
Texas

Postby Pete359 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 am

Texas wrote:Hi Pete,

I bought a new 2017 JD 469 Megawide, net wrap and twine capable. Ill always use net wrap but its nice to know I have the twine option.

It replaced a 1985 JD 530 that had 28,000+ bales run through her. Ill keep her as a spare but she really needs all new sprockets, chains, belts, pickup teeth, shafts etc. etc. And tires.

Red

Good choice. I ran a 567 for six years for a local guy, it was a great machine
For myself, I resurrected an old 510 from a fence row, got five years out of it. Then bought a 535 that apparently was built first thing on a Monday morning.., sent it down the road after one year. This is the third year with the current baler, a New Holland BR780A.
Pete359

Return to General Discussion