Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

The risks of eating Vegan

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

The risks of eating Vegan

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 am

Have you tried eating Vegan? I did for a while but went back to eating meat, just in smaller portions.

Many people have tried eating Vegan but quit. One friend and her husband tried Macrobiotics for a year. Finally one day she looked at him and said I would like a steak, he agreed. She eats a lot of veggies and green food but still has mainly fish and other meat too.

I did a look up to see if there are scientific studies about complementary foods. Answer there are, but it is now said that one just needs to eat foods that have amino acids during the day, but don't need to be at the same time.

There is evidence that Vegans are healthier than those who eat meat. But one needs to be careful to eat foods that provide nutritional needs. Maybe it's because they don't eat junk food.

From the article -

Those who adhere to strict vegan diets are at risk for less than adequate intakes of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, zinc, iodine and vitamins D and B-12.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/251074-risks-of-vegan-diets/

It's not easy.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: The risks of eating Vegan

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 pm

I don't like most extremes, but veganism is particularly offensive to me. That may sound like an odd word, but I can't tell you how it bugs me to hear a young (woman, usually) tell me that they can't eat what I eat because they want to eat "healthy."

Most of the independent, truly scientific studies will be carefully worded and state that a vegan diet "can be" as healthy as a more balanced diet...yet vegans claim that it *is* healthier. Big difference in the words.

I believe, for most of them, eating vegan is far less healthy than how I eat-- a balanced meal taken from all of the (I learned 5) basic food groups--because they're not smart enough to read and understand how to prepare a vegan meal that is as healthy as mine.

Grrrr. OK, I'm done. It's a good thing my blood pressure is typically low cuz this is a subject that raises it by 10 or 20 points!
Bkeepr

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks for your post. I found your experience interesting.

It would irritate me too if someone was rude and suggested they know how to eat better than I do. They might be right, but being tactless reflects on their character and manners. Not "How to win friends and influence people" - as Carnegie would have said.

I think you're right about people who eat Vegan may not ensure they're eating foods they need to be healthy. I've talked to a few and have found some did not know how to eat right. (The article points that out.)

What a person needs to eat is based on so many factors. I haven't read much sports medicine literature. But I've often wondered if men have a tendency to eat more meat because they have a physically different muscular make up. And if you have a job that involves being physically active most people, men and women, need to eat more food. Frequently when they're younger.

Lightening Bug

Postby Red Dave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm

I look at veganism as just another fad, and I don't do fads. Both daughters went through it when they were teenagers and we said OK, but we aren't changing how we cook or eat just to accommodate your passing fashion statement. Neither stayed with it more than a few months. Both are grown and out on their own now where they can be anything and eat anything they wish and neither is a vegan today.

As far as I'm concerned, a vegan can eat as they please, but I don't care to hear about it. The problem I have with them is that they seem to automatically become evangelicals and want to lecture me about how superior their lifestyle choices are to mine.

When I was a kid we raised chickens. I raised them from cute little peeps, fed and watered them, named them, butchered them, then we ate them. I am well acquainted with where my food comes from, thank you very much.

If I'm willing to eat and let eat, why do some of them think that they have the right to limit my choices and dictate my supper menu? I don't want to be converted.
Red Dave

Postby smugpug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm

If a person wants to be a vegetarian that is fine for them, but it's when they decide that they need to shove it down your throat then they cross the line. I look at it as part of that whole l*beral mentality, counterculture, 60s mentality. Tied together with a rat is a dog is a boy PETA thinking, raising animals in lower humans to the point that or either all equal or humans are less than. So many of them seem to be just weird and so many different aspects of life that I always question their mentality
smugpug

Postby Texas » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:45 am

Vegetarian - Old Indian word for bad hunter.

Red
Texas

Postby Coffee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 pm

We are all different, individuals. What people eat changes over time, sort of like climate changes over time. So we aren't as much a meat and potatoes nation as we once were. Some folks still eat meat and potatoes, okay, fine, it's your right, the pursuit of happiness, I'd say. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
I've seen it stated that peace begins on your plate. Forks over knives. That's about where I'm at, but I wouldn't push it on anyone else.
It's also been stated that some of the strongest animals on the planet eat plants. I suppose bison fit that category.
Getting back to diets changing over time, it seems like Mr. Spock, a Vulcan, in "Star Trek," was vegetarian. It seems to me I remember an episode where Mr. Spock only had meat available on one planet, and he remarked, "how primitive." So does "Star Trek" predict a day when most people are vegans or vegetarians?
I remember when McDonalds started offering salads; what a change that seemed to be.
I don't want to raise anyone's blood pressure. I am trying to be honest.
To conclude, a guy on "Tractor Tales" said it so well, I copied it down. This was back on 5-11-18. "Yep, I learned a long, long time ago that you can't please everybody on here, so if you're foolish enough to give your opinion, you might as well be honest, because no matter what you say, somebody ain't gonna like it." So I'm not plagiarizing anybody, you see. Coffee 8-)
Coffee

Postby mowmud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Texas wrote:Vegetarian - Old Indian word for bad hunter.

Red

Lmao :lol: Omnivore
mowmud

Postby Dieselrider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:05 am

Yes, I eat vegan! Deer, Beef, rabbit are all vegans and I eat them every chance I get.
Dieselrider

Postby Salmoneye » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:04 am

The entire Star Trek milieu is Communist by nature...

Oft repeated 'axiom' from the series:

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...Or, the One..."

Not that it isn't entertaining, but you have to remember that the entire premise was designed by Roddenberry in the mid 1960's as a social commentary of the times...

There were episodes devoted to 'Flower Children', Drugs, and racism...

Yes...My name is Salmoneye...

And I am a Trekkie uber-geek...

:ugeek:
Salmoneye

Location: The Spooky House At The End Of The Lane With Grass Growing Down The Middle

Postby Red Dave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 am

Well that settles it! If some fictional character on a TV show says it's good, that's good enough for me. It's vegan for me from now on. :shock:

Live long and pass the tofu. :lol:

Red Dave

Postby Lightening Bug » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:14 am

I'm enjoying all your posts, love your sense of humor too.

Tex this "Vegetarian - Old Indian word for bad hunter." made me laugh, thanks. SE I was a Trekkie fan too. Enjoyed your commentary. Coffee I agree with the quote you posted -"Yep, I learned a long, long time ago that you can't please everybody on here, so if you're foolish enough to give your opinion, you might as well be honest, because no matter what you say, somebody ain't gonna like it." Red Dave thanks for a fun post, just saw it now.

The vegetarians in La Jolla, CA made the list in the Blue Zones book for long and healthy lives. So if you do it right and enjoy eating vegan, go for it. But too often people try to go vegan without being informed about what you need to be aware of, big mistake!

Lightening Bug

Postby Texas » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am

Salmoneye wrote:The entire Star Trek milieu is Communist by nature...

Oft repeated 'axiom' from the series:

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...Or, the One..."

Not that it isn't entertaining, but you have to remember that the entire premise was designed by Roddenberry in the mid 1960's as a social commentary of the times...

There were episodes devoted to 'Flower Children', Drugs, and racism...

Yes...My name is Salmoneye...

And I am a Trekkie uber-geek...

:ugeek:

A fun fact for you......the statement "The needs of the many" was actually "borrowed" from the legal language used to justify imminent domain (condemnation) rulings.

To boldly go where no man has gone before....but they always ran into aliens....who I presume some were men?

Yeah I aint right. I think so far outta the box they should put me in one.

Red
Texas

Postby Gerrit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:23 pm

There is a difference between vegetarian and vegan. Check this here: https://www.diffen.com/difference/Vegan_vs_Vegetarian

I do eat meat and I like it although I think that it doesn't hurt to every now and then eat no meat.

In the future we (as in humanity) will have to find alternatives for meat since the resources simply won't be there no more. It won't happen in our lifetime, I hope, but it will happen.
Gerrit

Postby Lightening Bug » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:02 pm

It seems possible we'll have a chicken not in the pot, as FDR said, but in every back yard.

They say to eat fish. But over fishing is a problem, and farm fish has pesticides and insecticides, yuck! Well what you don't do is live in a city where your choices are not good. I remember when I lived in down twon Detroit. There was no place, even the A and P, where I should of could get good food, didn't. This was in the 60's. I had to drive 40 minutes to find a good food store,

Guess we have to figure out how we can manage to eat healthy and not blow the budget. Maybe eat more beans or bran, we might. I make salads the kind you would have put into sandwiches. No more, I make salads, Stony Jim likes that we eat without bread. I have to be careful I like them so much I like them for a snack.

Do you do this too? I make soups, at first they are simple just beans and ham. But then I look at the 'fridge" and think that would be good in the soup too. So it becomes "fridge leftover soup".

I just laugh because they are good eats. And I know they are okay for us. I love my guy, and he let's me take care of our food. I hope you have figured out how what you eat is important,

Take care and BE WELL my friends. :D
Lightening Bug

Next

Return to General Discussion