Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Clothes - wearing, donating

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Clothes - wearing, donating

Postby Lightening Bug » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:50 am

Read the article below and found myself going What! It says that people wear clothes 7 times then give them away, some only wear them once! I buy clothes very infrequently, and wear some I've had for many years. I don't like shopping, and we don't have many clothing stores near by. And I avoid Walmart, just don't like the store and how it treats it's employees.

In 2015, British charity Barnardo’s surveyed 1,500 women over the age of 16 and found that the majority of fashion purchases are only worn seven times. Thirty-three percent of the women surveyed consider clothes “old” after wearing them fewer than three times.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/what-really-happens-when-you-donate-your-clothes-and-why-it-s-bad?utm_source=pocket-newtab

How long do you keep your clothes and how many times do you wear them?

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Clothes - wearing, donating

Postby Bkeepr » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:59 pm

Disgusting, but I'm not surprised.

My wife and I are the same in this respect: we buy clothes as infrequently as possible, and wear them until they're threadbare. Can't stand shopping for clothes. We buy classics, not "fashion," and often get decades of wear out of most of our clothes. I still have 2 or 3 Pendleton wool shirts from high school (graduated in '75) that I still wear in the winter.

The only exception to this was the last 25 years I was working, I had to wear suits daily. Good suits are expensive, so I'd buy a couple of new, high quality suits each year, add them to my rotation, and wear them until they started to look a bit worn--probably 8 or so years each--and then donate them. I'm sure never less than 200 days of wear on a suit before it went to Goodwill.
Bkeepr

Postby Coffee » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 pm

I wish I'd paid more attention to how I dressed over the years. I'd just like some sturdy shirts, on the plain side, blue in color. Then wear a dark-colored vest over that.
I just looked at my blue sweater on a chair by the kitchen table. It has 2 buttons out of 5 on it, significant holes in both elbows, but I still wear it on chilly mornings in the house. I'd never wear something like that in public. There are sweaters in much better shape in the closets here. But they are old, too.
A new winter coat is on the schedule. The Carhartt I have is in tatters and the zipper barely works. What I would like is a new Carhartt and another coat, like a North Face parka. Country life takes a toll on clothes and boots. Right now I have good boots and somehow find time to keep them oiled.
The winter coat before the Carhartt was a good brand name coat, which name I cannot recall, but it came from an honest-to-goodness men's clothing store in Prairie du Chien. That coat wasn't terribly warm, but you could put a down vest or holofill vest under it (layers) and stay warm that way. It must have lasted about 8 or 10 years, then I was burning brush and it got a bunch of pin-holes in it from flying embers. End of coat. The men's clothing store went out of business several years ago. Things have certainly changed. Long ago I used to like to look at LL Bean and Land's End catalogs. Then things changed. Good topic, Lightening Bug.
Coffee

Postby Coffee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 am

That former winter coat was most likely a Patagonia men's parka. It had a good outer shell (layer), an attached hood, and a good logo (mountains). It would have been appropriate for wearing in the city to go to a coffee shop, and maybe skiing. But by itself, it didn't feel warm enough, when it got Wisconsin cold. The Carhartt is impressive for its plain appearance, durability, and warmth. I've read a winter coat ought to be washed or cleaned about three times a season. A cap and scarf really help in winter, too.
Coffee

Postby nadx » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 am

id have a BIG wardrobe if i could lose a lot of weight ha
nadx

Postby mowmud » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:09 pm

When I get done wearing clothes, you'll get lucky to use them as a grease rag. They fall off of me before I'm done with them.

I'm still wearing my wedding shorts that I got married in back in 2008. Outside shorts, not my civvies. Just cant button the button at the waist no more. :oops: The good side... I ain't gotta keep track of my belt no more. :!:
mowmud

Return to General Discussion