Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Pioneer Day- Utah

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Pioneer Day- Utah

Postby Coffee » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:07 am

Most of you don't have today circled on your calendars. July 24 is an official holiday in Utah. This holiday commemorates the 1847 arrival of Brigham Young and a band of pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley. It was kind of late in the year to start a new home in that area. Normally, on this day, there are parades, fireworks, rodeos, but this year, due to the virus, celebrations are cancelled, as I understand it. I've never been in Salt Lake City during Pioneer Day. My Sister says don't visit during the summer because it is too hot. Apparently there is a counter culture alternative to Pioneer Day, called Pie and Beer day. Pie and Beer sounds something like Pioneer. Pie and Beer sounds like a good way to get a stomach ache to me.
My life would have been very different if the Mormons had not entered the Valley in 1847.
Coffee

Re: Pioneer Day- Utah

Postby mowmud » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 am

Sounds like a good reason for celebration. Didn't Brigham Young travel with a friend named Bryn Mawr? Not sure if I spelled that second name correctly.

Up here, we have the Woodsmans field days. It is held in Boonville. It is on the outskirts of the Tug Hill plateau. Good times. It is coming up soon. I'll have to check with a friend of mine to get the exact date, he has a hunting cabin up there. They may not even have them this year. The plague and all.

Seems to me 'social distancing' is very easy to achieve in the woods. Eh well, people tell me I'm wrong on a daily basis... but I have, and continue to live through the plague. Scary times indeed.
I don't like to be cloistered up, but I will continue as long as needed.

I have lived on this (my) property for 15 years. I've found nooks and crannies here on this 5 acre plot that I would of probably never found, if not for the virus.

Pioneer Days huh? Sounds like it has good potential.
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:34 am

When I think of friends of Brigham Young, I think of people with last names of Smith. Kimball. John Lyons the "Scottish poet" ('Wikipedia') was interesting. After Brigham Young passed away, Lyons wrote a poem about his friend called "Brigham the Bold." I would like to read the poem, but haven't found it yet. Lyons lived in Scotland, then converted to Mormon, took a boat to New Orleans, made his way to Salt Lake City. That would be quite a journey in those days. He walked from Council Bluffs clear to Salt Lake City, as so many of the Mormon pioneers did. From what I was reading, Mark Twain visited with John Lyons one time as he was traveling out West. I think Mark Twain was preparing to write "Roughing It." To have been a mouse in the corner when Mark Twain came to visit.
Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:53 am

Correction: Lyon, not Lyons. John Lyon, Scottish Latter Day Saint poet 1803-1889. That looks better 8-)
Coffee

Postby Coffee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:57 am

Anyone who wants to read "Brigham, the Bold," by John Lyon, might look at https://rsc.byu.edu/john-lyon-life-pion ... -1853-1889 [BYU Religious Studies Center]. There are some old photos there, even photos of Mark Twain and Artemus Ward. Utah must have been a happenin' place back then. Also if you get deep into the linked story, there is a little account of the meet-up between John Lyon and Mark Twain. Don't get your expectations way too high, however. Mark.
Coffee

Postby REt » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:41 am

My gg grandmother is buried in the same cemetery as William Smith. It is in a non existent former town in Iowa. He was kind of booted out of the church by B Young and his followers. Did you ever read of the mormon massacre of a settler wagon train heading west? All the adults were killed, 120 I think. Took a long time for that to be forgotten
Ret
REt

Postby Coffee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:57 pm

Yes, REt, Mountain Meadows Massacre site, on my road atlas map. I've never been there. I've read B. Young may have tried to get a message to the Mormons to grant safe passage, but the message arrived two days late.
Coffee

Postby Pitch1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:53 am

Pitch1

Postby Coffee » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:32 am

Thank you for the link, Pitch.
Here are some lines from "Fair Home of My Choice:"
"How sweet on the bench-land's the breeze of the morning,
How fragrant the odor all nature distills,
Where th' sun rises o'er the high mountains, adorning
The age-shelving hollows dividing the hills!
Around my log-cabin the peach trees are blooming-
The grape-vines and currants
their beauties impart,
While the sweet-scented flowers
the air is perfuming,
To gladden the eye and enliven
the heart.
Fair home of my choice, ..."

The log cabins are gone, but Salt Lake City still has the beautiful mountains, and many yards have wonderful fruit trees growing in them. This poetry is pretty quaint, but it captures the positive, I guess.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion