Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

'Rationality' & 'Hard Work' are Racist?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

'Rationality' & 'Hard Work' are Racist?

Postby Red Dave » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:16 am

According to the Smithsonian, 'Rationality' & 'Hard Work' are Racist and "Sinister Aspects of White Culture".

Really?

But it goes on:

"What are these sinister aspects of “white culture,” you ask? Well, according to the Smithsonian, values like “hard work,” “self-reliance,” “be[ing] polite,” and timeliness are all a product of the “white dominant culture.” Indeed, it turns out that conventional grammar, Christianity, the notion that “intent counts” in courts of law, and the scientific method and its emphasis on “objective, rational linear thinking” are all proprietary to “white culture.”"

So, if you show up for work on time you are a racist?

https://www.realclearpolicy.com/articles/2020/07/20/smithsonian_institute_explains_that_rationality_and_hard_work_are_racist_499425.html

It is also refered to here:
https://www.newsweek.com/smithsonian-race-guidelines-rational-thinking-hard-work-are-white-values-1518333

How could anything be more racist and insulting to blacks and other minorities than this kind of tripe?
I grew up with, went to school with, worked with (and sometimes for) minorities all my life. I can testify that some of those minority individuals had every bit as strong of a work ethic as anybody else did. I worked directly for a black president of the company for whom starting work on time was only the start of his work ethic. He was as demanding of himself as he was of those who worked for him. I wish I could ask him what he thought of this.

If this doesn't prove that the inmates are running the asylum, I don't know what could.

What do you think of the Smithsonian coming out with something like this?
I think this country is on board the crazy train and Casey Jones is the engineer.
Red Dave

Re: 'Rationality' & 'Hard Work' are Racist?

Postby screamer » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:26 pm

It was in a chart published by the National Museum of African American History and Culture. and The Smithsonian has since taken the chart down and apologized. But you still gotta wonder WTH was some idiot thinking when they first put that up.

I find it racist that we even have such a museum. Where's my German American culture Museum? Or the Asian American Museum, and I wonder if the Irish American Museum would have a display about whiskey.
screamer

Postby smugpug » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:19 pm

The fear is so prevalent, the loss of position, power, income, etc, is the driving force that's so many people are bowing down to.
smugpug

Postby Coffee » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:41 pm

I don't take issue with the issues raised here. But when you start trying to define "hard work," people will give you all kinds of answers. Some will say, one should work smart, not hard. Some will say, don't work yourself into a grave. Every work place, occupation, environment is probably unique. Should third shift have to work as hard as first shift? I wasn't a supervisor, but I did train quite a few guys and one woman, too. I tried to show them how to keep the boss happy- what they needed to do to hold onto the job, if they wanted to. I gave them lots of space and freedom. Actually, you could work about as hard as you wanted to. Point: how do you define "hard work?"
Coffee

Postby Pitch1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:38 am

I almost puke every time a desk Jockey claims to do hard work. Hard, to me, denotes physicality. A desk worker may be a diligent worker, but he is not a HARD worker.
This is why these professional politicians want to keep kicking Social Security age higher. Few are the Masons, Carpenters, Mill Workers, etc that have bodies that have with stood forty or fifty years of destructive labor. So soon we will be retiring people on disability rather than Social Security!

That chart is not one hundred percent wrong in my eyes,many of the things that they attribute to whiteness,align with my own thoughts. But then of course I am a white guy, always have been so I have no way to know better.
Pitch1

Postby screamer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:37 am

I understand your point Pitch1, and you are right about the life long work of masons, etc who do heavy physical labor every day. On the other hand, those occupations do not generally involve the same kind of "work" as many other occupations. Take Air traffic controllers, for instance, the stress level and constant mental wear lead to a burnout averaging just 12 years. Having plane load after plane load of humans depending on the controller being absolutely right and getting the calls through to pilots, and then handling such emergencies as landing gear failure, or engine trouble causing a controller to immediately alter or divert all approaching air traffic safely, has got to be one of the more nerve wracking days imaginable. It is great for some occupations to be able to clock out and forget everything about the job until clock in time the next morning. Business men working on a big contract spend 60 to 80 hours a week, sometimes more, trying to negotiate contracts. I once spent close to 200 hours in a two week span negotiating a purchase of a car dealership, only to have it fall apart at the table when ready to sign the contract, when a call came in to the seller offering to beat our deal by 10%. All that work, went down the drain in a very last minute 45 second phone call. The client paid my hourly rate and wrote a very nice letter to the boss about my efforts, but I can't imagine his emotional let down. I have put literally months of my time and effort into personal injury suits only to have the jury find for the defendant. Thankfully, I won much more than I lost., but the work to organize and present the case is the same.

A wealthy businessman I did some work for, told me that approximately 85% of his business agreements fall through, but those remaining 15% made him a millionaire. He and a partner set up a bank. They set it up with the sole purpose of selling out eventually to another larger bank. They sold their shares in the bank, making an incredible amount of money a year later. Only to be charged by the Securities and Exchange Commission with insider trading. My boss and I represented him in those charges and we got them dismissed. (he did nothing wrong, except make lots of money) Fortunately, my firm put some wording in the original business charter that the purpose was to sell the shares at a profit. In some businesses things in other parts of the world can make or break a contract. Imagine a soybean broker worrying about the droughts in central asia and whether the truckers union in Brazil will strike, all of which drive the price of soybeans. A three day delay in a strike could mean millions in profits or bankruptcy. A friend wanted to start a bike rental business along a nearby scenic rail trail. He set up the corporation, rented a retail zoned space, got liability insurance and ordered bicycles. Then the Chinese factories shut down for the covid thing. No bikes no income. He couldn't get the same quality bikes any where and lesser units at cheapo retain outlets like Walmart were sold out. So he has a nice bike rental shop with a fully equipped repair facility and no bikes to rent. Hours were supposed to be (9:00 am til dark) He was told his shipment of bikes will leave the Chinese factory in mid August and might make it to Norfolk Va by Labor Day. So now he is almost tapped out of funds, gets a few dollars a week repairing bikes, and might be in business by mid September for the nice Autumn days. He had hoped to have the bikes paid for by 4th of July and now may not even break even this year. He cut off his cable tv, sold one of his cars and is working full time at a factory as a fork lift driver until the bikes come in. He isn't sure his little enterprise could make it through to next season. He is already out nearly $35,000. He is now looking into converting part of his space to a walk up ice cream counter (cost: another $7,800) Fortunately his wife and kids are still behind the idea. Hopefully another person doesn't come along with a competing bike rental business before he gets rolling. just examples of the type of work stress that small business men encounter all the time.
screamer

Postby Coffee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Some people do believe there is a "matrix." What is the "matrix?" "Urban Dictionary" has a definition. It's a controlled environment where people conform to roles pre-determined by a powerful person(s). So I take it people who believe in the matrix also believe people should get out of the matrix. Some see 9 to 5 jobs as being caught or stuck in the matrix.
Bertrand Russell wrote "In Praise of Idleness." He apparently thought humans are more than just workers. We need to learn how to value idleness. "New Statesman," 'Enlightened thinking in dark times,' 5 August 2020.
Mother Teresa: "There is always the danger that we may just do the work for the sake of the work. This is where the respect and the love and the devotion come in- that we do it to God, to Christ, and that's why we try to do it as beautifully as possible. ..." brainyquote.com
I still say one can't generalize much about workers' attitudes towards work, because every worker is unique. Every person I worked with had a different point of view, a different approach to work. I worked with some very fun people to work with and then there was the whole rest of the spectrum.
Coffee

Postby mowmud » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:36 am

Life is a gift that every person and animal has been given. What you do with that life is entirely up to the individual. It is the memory that carries on long after we are gone. If you want to be remembered as a thug and a low life... that is you're choice.

When it comes to work, if you need loot, you may do stuff you don't want to do... chasing the almighty dollar.
The older you get, wisdom comes into play. You gotta find something that brings the dollar to you. Find something you are good at and enjoy, hope that other folks aren't good at it too, and start doing it. All the money you save on fuel for the commute, although I did pack lunches a few days a week, I'd still spend $30 on food and drinks during the week.

Doing that and living frugally, makes not getting that big check on Friday not so bad.

Home time is priceless. 8-) Nobody would buy mine. :lol:
mowmud

Postby lamar fudd1 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:48 am

"Find something you are good at and enjoy, hope that other folks aren't good at it too, and start doing it." That pretty much describes my Lifes' goal. A way to avoid 'competition' is to do that which others would prefer not doing. I used to do roofing, before air nailers and rooftop delivery. My partner and I would carry two bundles of roofing up the ladder at a time, about 150#. A sub contractor asked us why we were doing it that way and we told him, truthfully, that neither one of us enjoyed that part of the job and this was a way to get that out of the way in half the time. The two of us could do 3 square an hour by hand. But that was a young man's game.
lamar fudd1

Postby Red Dave » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:04 am

"Bertrand Russell wrote "In Praise of Idleness." He apparently thought humans are more than just workers. We need to learn how to value idleness."

Karl Marx valued idleness. He never worked at a job on his life, he lived by sponging off others.
I would have loved being idle all my life, but the problem always was that I had a wife and children depending on me to provide for and protect them. So it was off to work I went.

When I was younger I worked at manual labor. I did farm work, I worked in an iron foundry, I did concrete demolition (I was the guy holding the business end of the pavement breakers and jack hammers). I mixed concrete with a batch mixer, 6 cu ft feet at a time, sometimes my tools were a shovel and a wheelbarrow. I cleaned toilets. Nobody needs to tell me what hard work is. I wasn't always doing what I enjoyed, but I did it because I had responsibilities and a family that was depending on me.

Later I got smarter and went to school and learned electricity/electronics. I installed and repaired hydro turbine/generator instrumentation and control systems. Yes, I know skilled labor too.

Then I got the chance to make a career change. I became an office worker, a professional in the safety and environmental fields. It is very hard to learn new things as an adult, but I did it. I read the regulations and the interpretations. I had to figure out what applied to my company and what didn't. I dealt with all the complicated and often contradictory regulations, the government reporting requirements, the constant pressure to perform a difficult and demanding job. I did it sitting at a desk and a computer and there were days that were so hard and frustrating that I longed to go back to carrying my tools from job to job, just to escape the stresses of unending government regulations and demanding bosses. Nobody can ever tell me that a desk job is easy because I know they are a fool that knows not of what they speak.

Yes, I was successful. I made a lot of money for my efforts and now I am retired, enjoying the fruits of those efforts. I had no privileges, I earned every bit of it.

"Value Idleness"? It is well that we are not all so "enlightened"; for if we were, farmers would lie idle and we would all starve.
Red Dave

Postby Coffee » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:35 pm

Red Dave, you and everyone else on this forum have worked hard, or at least pretty hard. Me too. This one dishwasher where I worked would come to work in the morning and say to me, are you awake? You third shift guys don't do any work. I would tell him to wipe his boots off when he came in the door. I'd say, did your mother tell you to wipe your boots off before you came in the house? Sometimes I told him, hey, I stayed up all night so you could sleep.
I think creative people need time off to write books, do research, travel, whatever their calling is. I'm not saying taxpayers should pay for this time off, or idleness. But I'm far enough left to support a guaranteed annual income. Something is wrong (lack of planning, preparedness) when there are lines of cars with people in them needing food- lines 5 blocks long. Or was it 5 miles long?
Lots of occupations involve very hard work. Lets make a list: farmers, roofers, air traffic controllers, police, airplane pilots, teachers, military, long haul truckers. Where do you want me to stop? From looking at 'youtube,' I'd say a good percentage of truck drivers are from "minority" groups. These drivers were willing to get the cdl, pass the physical, avoid bad habits, learn the electronic logs and rules, show up on time, drive safely (one hopes)...So I agree many minority folks have strong work habits and ethics.
I agree with screamer that some (maybe quite a few) people who don't appear to work hard, do in fact work hard.
Coffee

Postby Red Dave » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:28 pm

A guaranteed annual income? What will that cost? How will you pay for this largess at others expense?

How would that be different from welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing, etc.? Would those programs be cancelled?
How would you ensure that this generous giveaway of money (that isn't yours), is used for such mundane things such as food & shelter instead of booze, cigarettes, lottery tickets and tattoos?

Why do I have to finance your leftist pipe dreams, just so you can feel all warm and noble?
Red Dave

Postby Coffee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:22 am

Who feels warm and noble these days? You aren't asking much. You think I can provide charts and graphs to prove a guaranteed annual income can be done? Elizabeth Warren isn't here right now.
Some asked how can we build a transcontinental railroad? How can we defeat the German Wehrmacht? How can we put astronauts on the moon? One more quote: "People who work together will win..." Vince Lombardi.
Coffee

Postby sunfighter » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:41 am

lamar fudd1 wrote:"Find something you are good at and enjoy, hope that other folks aren't good at it too, and start doing it." That pretty much describes my Lifes' goal. A way to avoid 'competition' is to do that which others would prefer not doing. I used to do roofing, before air nailers and rooftop delivery. My partner and I would carry two bundles of roofing up the ladder at a time, about 150#. A sub contractor asked us why we were doing it that way and we told him, truthfully, that neither one of us enjoyed that part of the job and this was a way to get that out of the way in half the time. The two of us could do 3 square an hour by hand. But that was a young man's game.

Not much to add to this... but, I do want to thank you for calling me a young man. :lol: I still haul and nail my roof shingles. :)
3 tab style too, no architectural type for me. :)
Attachments
roofing 1.JPG
roofing 1.JPG (81.3 KiB) Viewed 642 times
sunfighter

Postby Red Dave » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:34 am

Coffee wrote:Who feels warm and noble these days? You aren't asking much. You think I can provide charts and graphs to prove a guaranteed annual income can be done? Elizabeth Warren isn't here right now.
Some asked how can we build a transcontinental railroad? How can we defeat the German Wehrmacht? How can we put astronauts on the moon? One more quote: "People who work together will win..." Vince Lombardi.

No answers. The transcontinental railroad had a plan, financing and engineers. The moon project had a plan, financing and engineers. The people who defeated Hitler had a plan, financing and engineers. Vince Lombardi never went into a game without a game plan. Two or more people working together for a common cause have to have a plan, and the plan has to be practical.

All you have is pie in the sky daydreams. And no way to finance them. Just like Elizabeth Warren.
Red Dave

Next

Return to General Discussion