Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Ya getting rain

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Ya getting rain

Postby REt » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:24 am

You guys up north a ways getting blown around? It poured down yesterday around here. Not bad this?morning
Ret
REt

Re: Ya getting rain

Postby Red Dave » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:38 am

Pouring down rain all last night and so far today. Started yesterday around suppertime.
The weather guessers are calling for rain all day today, with sunshine and clear tomorrow.
The storm center has moved inland farther then they thought it would, looks like it is coming up the Chesapeake, then going to follow the Delaware to New York.
Red Dave

Postby littleguns » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:07 am

No rain worth mentioning for more than a week in south-central Minnesota. After 8-plus inches 10 days ago, I can do without any new rain for a while, at least until my sump pumps slow down :D .
littleguns

Postby Red Dave » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Rain stopped here about 1 pm, clouds cleared and the sun came out about 1:30.
I guess that the eye of what is left of the storm has moved on to the north.

It started yesterday about 6 or 7 hours earlier than the weather predictors said it would, and left about 4 or 5 hours sooner than they said it would.

Sunny and breezy now.
Red Dave

Postby Bamabear » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:44 am

a hard rain the other day, but ground is so dry it soaks it up fast.. we need a slow steady rain, for a week, garden is dying... watermelons are dying, not making, much...
Bamabear

Postby mowmud » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:54 pm

BamaBear, sometimes it seems that what we do is for naught. Some years we get rewarded with bumper crops... other years, the dreams get crushed. You just won't know if you don't go.
With my Ma here, I haven't even been able to put in a garden. I miss it.
mowmud

Postby Bamabear » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:55 am

I am well pleased with the produce I put up from my garden, I am getting sorta tired of it now. makes my back hurt all day to stoop over and pick peas, they are done, time to pull them up and till up the garden and plant fall crops... I am thankful for my bounty... the freezer is full and my canning room is full of canned vegetables... I need to get apples and make applesauce next and pumpkins,, still getting tomatoes but am tired of putting them up.... will share them... I was going to plant more October beans but too dry .......
Bamabear

Postby littleguns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:50 am

Got half an inch in a quick storm Saturday afternoon in south-central Minnesota. We didn't need it desperately after 8 inches a while back, but no harm done. I fenced in a big area for tomatoes this summer after having deer wipe them out for the last several years. About 60 plants, five varieties. They are starting to ripen, but not in huge quantities all at once, which means wife can only process a few pints at a time. But we have lots to eat fresh. I'm also getting dozens of sweet banana peppers from three plants that were supposed to be green bells -- each plant has 20 or more peppers. Green bell plants are starting to develop peppers, but much more slowly than the bananas. I have two eggplants, one normal and one super plant with about 20 fruits. (They were raised from the same packet of seed! Go figure!) Black raspberries quit long ago, but red raspberries are producing a little. Mulberries this year were almost nonexistent, so I'm having to bake pies from frozen ones from last year.
littleguns

Postby mowmud » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pm

I didn't know you can freeze mulberries. I've only used them to try and make wine. I failed. Grapes are best.

Mulberry picking... I stretch out clean tarps on the ground and then shake the tree, kinda like an earthquake.

Didn't think I'd be saying this anytime soon, we need rain. The well is down to 3 feet. A couple of days ago, when the guessers said we were going to be drenched, we got a 10 minute light sprinkle, 25 minutes later we got about a 15 minute heavy sprinkle. Not enough. I haven't needed to mow in the last two weeks.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:34 pm

The thunder has been rumbling around me the last 2 hours. I have partly cloudy skies. Somebody needs to open a gate. Let them clouds in. All the rain seems to go north or south of here.

From what I know of the great lakes, which is they are running about 4* above average. Makes them freeze up later, which translates into more lake effect snow. Sure it may be a bit warmer... but you will be sweating moving all that stuff anyways. Freeze yourself to the doorknob coming back in.

I'll take it warm any day, I just don't like running out of water.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:31 pm

About 4 hours after my last post, we got rain. Not a deluge, just a good heavy rain. Takes a few days for the well to see it. Its not a top feeder.

Since then, we have got good soaking rains too. They did get the fields planted this year, but the crops are looking small. Not everywhere, just about a 5 mile diameter around me.

Now I know a soybean head on a combine 'floats' on the ground, soybeans, this year, are maybe 2 foot tall. No problems there. Even though they usually get about 4 foot tall. The corn is making ears that are only about 12 to 14 inches off the ground. The corn heads that go on the same combine, are gonna get a workout. Gonna be bashing the ground. One ear per stalk, from what I'm seeing. They may not even harvest the corn. Save wear and tear on all that high dollar equipment.

To me, it seems like a silly decision to need to make. The rewards need to be huge in order to make it worth it.

Maybe a good time to invest in a welder and try and fill in for what the farm shops can't keep up with.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion