Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Nasty surprise in fast food packaging!

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Nasty surprise in fast food packaging!

Postby Lightening Bug » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:04 pm

Browsing a medical site I came upon an article that discusses what chemicals have been found in fast food packaging, not good!

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-fast-food-chains-packaged-pollution.html

From the article -

PFAS are chemicals used in apparel, carpeting, furniture and food packaging designed to keep materials grease- and water-resistant; they're known as "forever chemicals" as per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances cannot break down in the environment.

A report released last week on the fast food industry revealed that nearly half of all sampled packaging contained dangerous fluorine levels, while the majority of the locations included do not have policies to address harmful PFAS in their materials.

And more -

Restaurants found to have toxic packaging include Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Cava, Freshii and Sweetgreen—the top three burger and health-conscious chains.

"Multiple major food chains have now announced new policies on PFAS. So, clearly, safer alternatives exist and are being used. Those that haven't stepped up have the ability to do so," Mike Schade, director of Mind the Store,

I wonder how these chemicals are absorbed by the food wrapped in them?

I'm so glad I quit eating fast food. One more thing I haven't handled and been exposed to!

Just as bad think of all the wrapper that go in to the dump. Wonder if those managing and working tn the dumps have been told about their possible exposure to these chemicals.

Well I won't say What next?

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: Nasty surprise in fast food packaging!

Postby smugpug » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Fast food is basically fake food
smugpug

Postby Lightening Bug » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:13 am

Many people who eat fast food leave the food in the wrapper. I wonder if there are any studies that have determined what the direct contact exposure rate amounts to. Children are affected more by pfoa's so it would be an important study that determined their exposure rate.

BTW it has also been found pfoa's are in other food containers - like Pizza boxes.

Nice job delivering pizzas until you consider exposure to pfoa's!

I wish there was a magic wand to make things like this disappear completely. Wonder how covid and pfoas interact?

Just some thoughts.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby mowmud » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:20 pm

Nasty? You are just now realizing this?

To me, its good about two maybe three times a year. Generally while traveling and don't want to pull over on the side of the road and maintain a charcoal fire. You can use them wrappers to start the charcoal, but that is really defeating the purpose of natural fuels in the first place... where'd them wrappers come from? You ought to see the passenger side floorboard of my wifes Jeep.

At least you can tell that she is not a litterbug. Just don't open two doors at once. The wind will whisk it out. What stays... I call 'heat'. I burn the crap all the time. Still don't need it.

More entertainment than anything.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion