Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

What is the industry doing?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

What is the industry doing?

Postby Lightening Bug » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Found the site below that discusses what the plastic industry is doing - to insure plastic use still grows. This has got to stop!

What do you think?

https://theintercept.com/2019/07/20/plastics-industry-plastic-recycling/

From the article -

the American Progressive Bag Alliance, was backing a state bill that would strip Tennesseans of their ability to address the plastics crisis. The legislation would make it illegal for local governments to ban or restrict bags and other single-use plastic products — one of the few things shown to actually reduce plastic waste.

They hold a contest for kids in school to encourage cutting plastic use while at the same time they succeed in passing legislation that ties the hands of local legislators.

Take care and be well. :D
Lightening Bug

Re: What is the industry doing?

Postby Pitch1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 pm

NY has a no single use bag law. Went into effect I was getting used to it, then COVID came. Stores,(Wal MArt) refuse to load customers reusable bags and the single use plastic appear again.
Pitch1

Re: What is the industry doing?

Postby mowmud » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:40 pm

At least a decade ago, I heard that they had found a way to incorporate potato peelings into the plastic bag making process. To make them more readily degradable. I guess it was too exspensive, or it got shot down in the halls of congress. Your guess is as good as mine. I just know that there is other options out there. We have a bunch of the reusable sacks. They are very hard to keep clean. They just want you to buy a new batch of them everytime you grocery shop. Paper sacks seem to be coming back in vogue. Retro, don't you know. Save the trees, they said. I say, try to wipe your butt with a plastic bag. The plastic bag law is another one of Cuomo 'wins'. Meanwhile, they are shipping out all their garbage by rail and by sea to any other state in this country that is willing, or stupid enough to accept it.. Just to get rid of it.Cities are a plague that have been with us much longer than the current one. They are both equally bad. Somebodies pockets are being lined with our tax dollars.

Its pathetic.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion