Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Nature

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Nature

Postby mowmud » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 pm

I like watching nature. Even down to such things as mosquitoes. I have a substantial amount of scar tissue on my body. A skeeter landed on my stab wound last night. It was kinda fun watching it try and pop another hole in that. Me... and my warped mind got to thinking... imagine if he went back to his puddle of water or swamp, where ever they call home and say to the little skeeters'"You can't get blood from humans, they are too tough."

On a good note, I haven't collected any ticks this season... yet. I've stopped regulating opossums too.

Ticks are a mainstay of their diet. When it comes down to it... I'd rather deal with one large angry, ornery opossum than a bunch of ticks. Even if you catch a tick early on, I can tell if something is on my body that doesn't belong there, you pluck it using all the best knowledge possible, still takes about a year and a half to heal.

At the same time, we are no better than mosquitoes, we are all parasites on this planet. Some forms of life will admit it, others hope that you don't notice.

Everything in history has happened on this planet. Thats what folks need to come to grips with.

If the planet gets tired of us... it will scratch itself. Buck us off to put it in human terms.

The planet will be here long after the human race is gone. Its just the way she rolls. The planet don't care. The dirt can be very mean. You either get used to it and deal with it or go into a corner and hide your head. Neither option is all that good... but if I'm gonna get whacked by an asteroid, I wanna watch it.
mowmud

Re: Nature

Postby mowmud » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:20 pm

I got a crick in my neck. I spent some time looking at the stars. Looking straight up. Not towards the horizon like the comet. The meteor showers are magnificent. I thought about stretching out on one of the chaise lounge chairs up on the upper deck, but that would make me no better than the Aztecs.

I'm not going to give my blood away freely, No more so than I'd let somebody take it for a ritual.

Skeeters will suck the life out of you.

There was a movie that portrayed us as sheeple. There was a comet spotted 20 years out. This is not one of the space cowboys movie. More like a documentary. Point being, they knew about it. They said it had no tail. It sure enough had a tail, you just can't see it when its coming directly at you.

The movie went on, it skipped 10 years. Folks were looking up at the sky and saying'Well, thats weird.
The movie went on and it skipped another 5 years. School children were amazed by the sight of two suns in the sky. Yet ... no tail. But it kept on getting brighter than the sun.

This stuff happens. There is not anything we can do to change it.

The only thing you can do is keep yourself close to friends and family. Because essentially that is what its all about. We would be alone otherwise. I don't think I'd like having a planet all to myself.
Its tough enough taking care of my little 5 acres. ... if I ever did end up getting there... I can guarantee I'd build something. :lol: I'd probably start with fire :lol: and a wheel.

I hope ya'll can see the humor in that. Cavemen were not stupid. Quite the contrary. They lived.

We are nothing but a blink on our planets time line. Enjoy you're time here. Make plans for the next life. I do believe in reincarnation.You just don't know what you will be reincarnated as.

You gotta do the best you can... and don't go around pissing animals off or humans all the time. Ya gotta learn to get along. If you don't... it comes down to swords, rocks and boiling oil.Not the way I want to live, but if it gets down to it... I'm fully capable. We breathe the same air as the dinosaurs.
mowmud

Postby Coffee » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:26 am

We live on in our words and deeds long after we are "gone." I could give some examples and so could you. All the more reason for mindfulness.
Coffee

Postby Coffee » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:35 pm

Seeing two suns would be disturbing. The angle of the object coming in would have to be just right for there to be no visible tail. Why? The solar wind always pushes the tail away from the sun. Am I right or wrong?
Have you ever been to meteor crater near Winslow, AZ? Which brings me to this paragraph that appeared in our last local newspaper:

"Life will break you...
Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could. -Louise Erdrich 'The Painted Drum'"
Coffee

Postby mowmud » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 pm

The furthest west I've been is Missouri. Seen the big arch. Quite impressive. Ste. Louis I believe.

As to the poem, it was nice, I wonder if it matters if its a crab apple?

I don't know too much about the tails of comets... one thing that I hope I never have to learn about.

They are very interesting to look at though.

Look in awe. Lotta things going on out there that are way bigger than us.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion