Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Hey Pitch

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Hey Pitch

Postby mowmud » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:47 am

You been hearing any rumors of a mountain lion hanging about?

I've had my head into wrenching, but I thought I seen something the other day. Went to the transfer station this morning and overheard a couple old farmers. Sounded like they were talking about a big cat. I've seen one before, but they are rare at best. To me, this seems like the land they would like to live in.

I sawed another wagon load of wood but my back is spent. I had to come inside and sit down. Let the kid move it.
mowmud

Re: Hey Pitch

Postby mowmud » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 am

Lots of strange sounds out there tonight. I don't think its kids out partying.
First time I've heard an owl in about 3 years. Its on a different ridge. This one is to the north. When I had 3, they were towards the east. Such a wonderful sound.
Coyotes are prevalent. Yipping and yapping.
mowmud

Postby Pitch1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:40 am

I haven't heard anything, however COVID has kept meholed up all summer,so I haven't been out.
Year or so ago I was up in Hector just about dusk, and something crossed the road in front of me. bout all I saw was a large low darks shape.did see a massively long tail. Ain't declaring nothing one way or t'other. but it was something!

Something had the neighbors beef all stirred up last night just after dark. Sounded like they had a whole truck load of weaning calves suddenly dumped. They have two Great Pyrenees, but I didn't hear them sound off. Maybe the guy was just late feeding.
Pitch1

Postby mowmud » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:35 pm

The Covid doesn't mean you gotta stay inside... it means you gotta stay away from groups of people.

Called some of my hunting friends today. Said they were going to check their trail cams and they'll get back to me mid week.

Hey, I'm all for it. I just want to know whats out there. Seems as though we would have bears milling around too. Never seen no signs of bear. Takes a lot to scare me...I just don't like being surprised.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Half my friends have got back to me. No cats on the trail cams. Other friends don't get around home all that much. Looking forward to what they got to say. There is something crazy out there, just don't know what it is.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:56 pm

Most all friends have checked in. No signs of big cats. Lotta sign of pine marten though. These things are little though.
They can cause a big mess, but I don't think they ever could be mistaken for a big animal.

I seen something.
Always seems like a foggy morning or during a heavy rain. You don't see it on a sunny day.
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:44 pm

Different subject. I've heard they are moving the Empire Farm Days from Seneca Falls to Cazanovia.
Seems as though I remember that you went to them quite a bit.

Gonna be a drive for you now. I know nothing about the country on the other side of Syracuse. Worked in Tully maybe twice in all my roofing 'career'. It is a terrible drive from here. Can't avoid the city. Maybe you could pick up route 20 and scoot right on over behind the city.
mowmud

Postby Randy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:02 am

They say there are no mountain lions here in northwest CT.
A few years back a friend took a picture of one in his yard.
Saw one when I lived in Kansas, impressive animal.
Haven't heard of them in my part of central NY.
Randy

Postby mowmud » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:57 pm

Randy wrote:Haven't heard of them in my part of central NY.

CNY? Would you mind giving some tidbits on what you call CNY?
I have respected you're opinion for a long time. Didn't know you lived in NY.
mowmud

Postby Randy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:02 pm

We have a house outside of Norwich.
CT is where I live.
Randy

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm

I believe there is a Norwich in CT too. The one in NY though looks to be pure country. As I've said before though, I don't know much about that side of Syracuse. I have enough places to get lost around here. Thanks for responding.
mowmud

Postby Randy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:23 am

There is a Norwich CT but I've never been.
East part of the state where they talk funny.
Once you get east of Hahtfud....
Randy

Return to General Discussion