Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Distracted Driving

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Distracted Driving

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:05 pm

I'm a true believer of texting while driving will cause an accident. Talking on the phone will do the same thing, just not as prominent.

In this day and age, I think its safe to say that at least 50% of the population does it. I had to catch a ride back to my truck. The ride that I got was from a younger couple.

We were driving down some back roads. I was sitting in the backseat of a car. Yup. Car.
Normally people will get distracted by the sights and sounds of the outdoors. I noticed they were looking at the console of the car. :!: :!: They were watching a doggone movie. :!: :!:

I asked them to pull over and let me out. They got me half way to where I was going... I didn't mind walking the rest.
When you see me looking at the console like that... there is some type of transmission noise going on. Scary stuff.
I couldn't say to much as I was begging for a ride... but dang, I'd rather ride with a drunk driver than a sober, socially distracted one. Personally, I'd rather drive myself.
I guess I could of offered to drive and let them watch their movie... but I don't do cars. Crazy.
mowmud

Re: Distracted Driving

Postby Red Dave » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:25 am

If it's not cellphones, it would be something else; eating, drinking, makeup, etc. Back in the early '90's, I remember driving on an interstate highway and passed a car. I glanced over and the driver had a newspaper spread out over the steering wheel, reading it while driving along at 60+ MPH
Red Dave

Postby Pitch1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:37 am

I was coming up Rt 96 out of Ithaca. Some kind of service van was in front of me, driving just as normal as you please. Suddenly he wiggled to the right then back, his speed dropped to under fifty,waved back and forth in his lane etc etc.
Got a passing zone just north of Trumansburg so I went around. Sumnabic had his mouth flapping, a clip board on the steering wheel writing something down. I watched these antics for probably 3 or 4 miles.
I realize that time is money for small business men but, I will wager that if he had pulled over to conduct whatever business he had, it probably would have taken less time than the whole juggling act.
Pitch1

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:48 pm

I commuted 50-70 miles each way in to the Washington DC area daily for many years. I've seen a lot of antics like that-- reading the paper, a book, shaving, applying mascara, talking on the phone. And I'd estimate that it is more like 7 out of 10 nowadays talking on the cell phone (and not "hands free") while driving.

It really hacks me off, because I've spent countless hours of my life in backups on I-270 and I-70 because of numbskulls causing easily avoidable accidents during rush hour.

I say string all the sunsabiches up!!
Bkeepr

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:52 am

Family near Philly just posted this on Facebook:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5FAB3008

Turns out the jeep driver was texting. The driver of the red car is ok, remarkably. How do you *not* see a big yellow school bus with flashing lights??? Distracted driving!!!
Bkeepr

Return to General Discussion