Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Windows (computer)

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Windows (computer)

Postby Coffee » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:26 am

Why is it necessary to even install Windows 10 on your computer or laptop? My laptop has Windows 10 on it and it is constantly getting overloaded, so as to become useless. In fact this message to you folks is coming from my backup computer which is relatively new, and never has had Windows anything installed on it. The new computer allows me to get "youtube" and participate on this Forum and send emails, without Windows, which is all I want or need a computer for right now. I do know Windows 10 can be uninstalled, but have not tried it. Has anybody tried uninstalling Windows 10 and how did that work out? It is terribly frustrating and time-wasting to have someone at a remote location gum up a laptop almost on a daily basis. Coffee. Heading out soon to brush and probably run into some multiflora rose, which is a particularly thorny plant.
Coffee

Re: Windows (computer)

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:08 am

I learned to program and to use computers before Windows was invented (I first learned programming with punch cards!). Windows isn't necessary, but it does make operating computers easier...when it works! :D
Bkeepr

Postby mowmud » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 am

You won't find me being a cheerleader for 10 either. When you say 'overloaded' though, I've had those problems too. Mine came from a insufficient cooling fan. Mine is a laptop also.
My remedy was to fashion a small box with an external cooling fan that I extracted from an air hockey table. The box is the same outer dimensions as the laptop, its just 6 times thicker.
Needless to say, it is not all that portable anymore. The external fan does keep it nice and cool though. A bit noisey, but the objective was realized. It is essentially a desktop now.
I even took the laptop apart and cleaned all the cooling grids. Just wasn't enough, had to improvise
I liked XP... this 10... I haven't figured out. It don't overheat though.
Who needs a computer outside anyhow?
mowmud

Postby mowmud » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:58 am

This one used to get slow and clunky, you could hear the fan working overtime, then eventually you get the 'blue screen of death'. Never had to uninstall... it does it itself, but have had to reinstall numerous times.

We bought the official product, which comes on a flash drive, so we can use it on any of our computers as many times as we need. I haven't had the need to reinstall in over a year.

One of the folks down in PA, uses a different operating system altogether, maybe they'll chime in.

Think its called Linux, or something like that. Good luck, I'd rather smell like gasoline any day.
mowmud

Postby Red Dave » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:28 am

My old laptop came with Windows 7 on it back in about 2009 or '10. Eventually, it was upgraded to Windows 10 in (I think) about 2016 or '17. It ran it, but it did have temperature issues. I solved those issues with a cooling pad for laptops that I bought from Amazon. It had a couple small fans that ran off a USB port. That worked for several years, but last year I upgraded to a new laptop, which came with Windows 10 on it. It's a much faster machine, with lots of RAM and has no issues with Windows 10 so far and it doesn't need the cooling pad.

Windows 10 is different than earlier versions and frankly I don't understand why the programmers feel the need to re-arrange everything with each new version. All the old functions are there, but they hide them in different places and we have to learn new ways to find functions that we used before.

I have found that google can be your friend. I found that I can do a search asking how to do what I want in Windows 10 and somebody somewhere will have the answer I need.
Red Dave

Postby Coffee » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Thank you guys for the ideas. This laptop is a joy when it functions, but when it doesn't, it's about as much fun as finding a snake in the basement.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion