Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Any Thrillseekers?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Any Thrillseekers?

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 pm

I don't care much for our local newspaper but I visit their site occasionally to check out the 'Outdoors' section.
Wow! You only gotta be nine to drive! Looks like a riot to me. Couldn't bring Mom though... she doesn't need any help scaring the poop out of her. I seriously want to ride this thing though.
https://www.syracuse.com/state/2020/10/ ... dacks.html
mowmud

Re: Any Thrillseekers?

Postby screamer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:39 pm

my stomach does not do well with the cork screws and loop de loops. but that looks like fun. I've had a few too many unintentional thrills to want to take on some of the more wild ones today, 30 years ago, down at Gatlinburg up on the mountain there was this funny little sled type thing you could ride down a for a good distance. it was sort of like a wide skateboard that you sat on and a brake lever on each side to slow down. Well I am flying down my first run of the day and the really heavy set kid ahead of me goes right up the banked turn and over the top into the woods. I stopped and jumped off the track with my "sled" and ran over to see if he was ok. He was laying in the pines laughing like a maniac. I help him up and as we care coming out of the bushes, an employee shows up and tells him that was the third time, he must leave. I look at the employee with a "HUH?" expression on my face. The guy said it is the third time he went off that banked turn. Geesh, scary enough. So he radios the top to stop sending people down so I can get my sled and self back on the track. The employee gives me a shove and says watch out at the bottom. Huh? the bottom is a long steep straight away and I must be going 40 miles a hour on a little piece of plastic with rocks on both sides. so as I get to the end, I grab both brake levers and pull up. Th brakes catch on something and suddenly I am flying down the track with no sled under me. I hit the rubber mat that is to catch and slow all the speed demons and go tumbling head over heels. into the empty sleds at the end of the run. One run was enough for me.
screamer

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:06 pm

The smaller sleds you talk about, did they run down a concrete chute that resembles a culvert?
If so, we had them up here at Song Mountain. It was called the 'Alpine Slide'. Used to jump out of the chute many times. On purpose. I don't think my body would stretch out that way to ride one of those now. Buttscrubbers. They remind me of the reason I don't care for cars.
They closed that down about 15 years ago, due to lawsuits. !!Hey folks!! Don't ride it if your scared of getting hurt!
This roller coaster thing though... it says you can adjust speed, I'd set it on the slowest setting and just meander down through. If it had a jake brake, it would be growling all the way.

A bit pricey, but hey, if you are in the ADK, you come to see things. Says its gonna be open in the winter too. Once the snow stacks up... you won't be that far off the ground. :mrgreen:
mowmud

Postby sunfighter » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:51 am

I only wish they had these go-pro cameras during my time with this E ticket ride. I would love to have had some on board video's of my sprinter. :)
Watch this and then remember that during the main event, you're doing it with 26 other crazies. :o
Warning. you might want to turn down the volume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHmivSv ... RostRacing
sunfighter

Postby mowmud » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:35 pm

:D Now, thats a car!. Turn it down? No. That front tire doesn't spend a lot of time on the ground.

If you don't want to roll the cage, you keep them back tires spinning. Thanks.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion