Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Well you like to think police are honest

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Well you like to think police are honest

Postby screamer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm

relative was in an accident a few months back. Police officer witnessed the accident. wrote up a report putting all the blame on the person who hit the relative. Drew an accident diagram for the report that was pretty clear. I got copies of the police report and the ticket to the other driver as soon as they were filed. But then something strange very strange happened. Three weeks after the accident, the other guys insurance company suddenly said they had the report and that the relative was charged with the accident. Sure enough, there was a new report, the citation to the other driver had somehow disappeared and a citation issued to my relative. WTH? So I go digging. I look up the back round of the investigating officer, nothing there. Grew up a hundred miles away. Then i start digging on the other driver. Seems he is the long time football coach at a nearby highschool, that just happens to be down the road from the police station. Then I go checking and find the other driver's son has been very chummy with an assistant Chief of police since highschool. The new police report diagram has the cars starting and ending in completely different positions, etc,. The new police report also states, that after talking to the other driver, it was reviewed and changes needed to be made. Hence all the flip flop. Well in court yesterday the other driver admits when he got the ticket, he called the supervisor at the police station and demanded a review. Any body see some old fashioned good old boy strings being pulled? The police officer and other driver seemed shocked that I had copies of the first citation and report, since those were withdrawn and disappeared from the records. The judge was miffed about the records changes. And even asked some stern questions of the officer about the fact that these two reports were basically the exact opposite of each other. I only had one prior experience with this police dept. and in that one involved the police arresting a woman for DUI and issuing arrest charges in the name of the woman's room mate, who was not even there at the arrest. I thought this kind of stuff was gone when the Dukes of Hazard went off the air. Guess I was wrong.
screamer

Re: Well you like to think police are honest

Postby mowmud » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:31 pm

No matter the profession, it seems honest people are a rarity.

Good on you for keeping the original documents. It would be something to see them tripping over themselves trying to disprove things that were signed by them. Keeping and holding things is called 'hording' by some. Hording is not always a bad thing... just gotta be able to find it.

Good old documented proof. I say let these idjits go and fester in the pool of covid, that they fostered. Don't need this garbage. Liers, that think they are better and smarter than people 'under' them.
The truly sad part is that this goes on a daily basis. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Glad you got them, or glad you helped the person in peril. The government will ruin your life... if you let them. Never let down your guard. Be diligent.
When you find a person you can trust, keep that person close. Trust is something that doesn't come from government.
mowmud

Postby Bkeepr » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:58 am

Yeah, police are a reflection of our society. There are honest ones, dishonest ones, and most are in the middle-- generally honest but will go along with some dishonesty for whatever they view as a good reason.

By default, I trust individual people until they give me a reason not to. :D

But I automatically distrust bureaucracies until I see a reason to trust them...and I don't usually consider that reason permanent, because even the best bureaucracies change as the individuals and leaders responsible for their goodness move, die, or retire. So I keep copies of everything, "just in case."

I'm glad your story had a good ending for your relative, Screaminghollow. But an even better one would be a court-ordered investigation with heads rolling at the PD!
Bkeepr

Postby Pitch1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:26 am

But yet there are loud screaming voices crying, "Back the Blue"
I would love to back the blue, but time after time,the blue has shown itself to be dishonest,and self serving.
Police routinely violate your rights in ways you probably are not even aware of.
We need the Police,we need to be able to trust the Police.

Police the Police!
Pitch1

Postby Red Dave » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:34 am

There are certainly enough examples of police overstepping their authority and even some of outright wrongdoing (like Screamer's example) but;

Red Dave

Postby Pitch1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am

No argument at all on your meme Red.
However no one is complaining about the justified use of force.
The justifiable complaints are about the rogue cops that commit offenses, more so the thousands that know about their fellow employees actions'but turn their backs or close their eyes.

Being a cop is not a race it is not a physical condition,it is a job.
It is not a club, or a gang.
Since policing began there has always been a blindeye turned to the treatment of "undesirables" , often more than a blind eye but full out community support. Hobos, hippies, migrant workers,hitchhikers, blacks,mexicans,and white trash have always been the recipients of the extra heapin helping of law enforcement.
Gone are the days that the local cops would have a private word with the neighborhood wife beater and send him home sorer but wiser.

All any one is asking is that law enforcement do their admittedly difficult job, to the letter of the law.
All anyone is asking thatlaw enforcement will be held responsible for there violations. No one has anything against open above board constitutional policing.
Pitch1

Postby Pitch1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 am

I need to relay a personal police experience.
I have lived in my present home for 22 years, in the same school district for forty and in the same county for sixty.
Sheriff like to run radar at the intersection of my road and Rt. 96. I noticed that where he parked there were snack wrappers and a coffee cup from the local convenience store. I picked them up. Few days later same thing. and again week of so later.
I went over to the Sheriffs office and spoke to at he Patrol Supervisor. He promised he wpould take care of it.
Well he was good to his word. During the three months after that I was pulled over 6 times by the Seneca County Sheriffs department. Up until this incident I had not been pulled over for probably 20 years and probably not 6 times in my entire life.
I was not ticketed for anything any of the six times I was harassesed. I finally made an appointment with the Sheriff himself and the persecution finally stopped.
Pitch1

Postby Doris~GC » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:14 pm

We live in a medium size town here in SW Illinois. I don't want anybody thinking oh no I should have kept my mouth shut.

Our Son whom we are very proud of happens to be a Sgt. in our local Police Dept. He has worked his rear off, over the years. He joined after 8 years
in the Air Force.

He works the night shift, he likes it better than days. No he has never gotten us out of tickets etc. We have not been arrested or been pulled over.
I know some of the older police may know us. We don't go around broadcasting he is a policeman.

We have to much respect for him. We try to behave ourselves (LOL) If someone asked I wouldn't lie. I'm just not rubbing it in anyone's face.

I've never heard of any problems, with him. I don't expect to.

No one is perfect..We are just proud of him, the way he conducts his self, etc.
Our town is blessed having a good force.

Take Care
Doris~GC
Doris~GC

Postby screamer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Doris, I have lived in three states and practiced law for 45 years. I have met and dealt with officers from probably 20 or 25 different police depts and federal agencies. The Top of the line for no BS, professional has got to go to Fairfax county VA. Across the board the most straight up force I ever met. Unbelievably to many, I would rank the DC Police next, I met many officers who gave a lot extra to their community, from organizing after school programs to second chance programs for convicts. I can definitely say some of the local idiots here in PA are the worst and some even brag about how they play favorites. Oh there's good local officers too, but the bad one are the worst. Va, PA, MD and De troopers all seemed to be pretty good except there was a certain amount of good old boy network to things. Prince George's County MD and Montgomery County MD, were mostly pretty fair but had a few noteworthy cowboys on the force. I also dealt with Nat Park Police, Secret Service, Federal Protective Service Police. DC Metro Transit police, Alexandria VA police, Capitol Hill Police, and several others. They were ok. nothing spectacular either way. Arlington County VA police tended to be jerks across the board. Played stupid games when pulling people over, Ignored witnesses who did not tell the same story the officer wanted to hear. They were down there.
screamer

Postby Pitch1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:44 pm

In no way was I attempting to disparage the vast majority of LEO's that go to work each day and do an exemplary job.
All I am saying is that our current problems did not arise out of whole cloth.
Pitch1

Postby smugpug » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

I always find it interesting that so many churches are just a few years behind the culture in how they perceive things and do things.
I find it interesting also that if something gets brought up, how many people jump on the bandwagon with their own little personal "horror" stories and complaining about the bad ones.
I have yet to find any job category, or in dealing with any kind of a group of people, where there are some who are less than ideal. Preachers, teachers, law enforcement, doctors, dentist, mechanics, plumbers and so on and so forth. But the vast majority of these people do not have to deal with the worst of humanity day in and day out for a career. Maybe people should learn to cut them some slack deal with things the best they can and try to uphold them.
smugpug

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:21 pm

Uphold your values. If I walk outside with my screw gun in my hand, and the law shows up, I'll drop the screw gun or find a good place to set it down. You don't interact with law with anything in your hands... not even a Daisey Red Rider. a gun is a gun, is a gun.

You just don't do it. People wonder why they get shot. I'm glad I know some law. I know a retired county deputy. He is a good person. When I sit and drink a beer with him, he'll tell you flat out what makes him nervous, it mainly revolves around people that just won't listen to reason. Simple as that.
mowmud

Return to General Discussion