Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Chainsaws

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Chainsaws

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:39 pm

My old buddy Positronium won't admit it, but he tells me. He caught himself with a chainsaw again.

He had on blue jeans, dungarees what ever you want to call them, It raked over his left (port) shin.

Tore up his pants, but he only ended up with a few scratches that duct tape easily patched up. He didn't even hardly bleed. He got lucky.

The funny part is, he ain't cutting wood for this winter or the next. That's already stored. He is cutting for 3 winters out.

I don't care how good you are, if you use a chainsaw long enough, they'll bite ya.
This happened a few weeks back and I'm happy to report that, that old coot healed nicely.
Positronium is the best person I know on this planet.

Sometimes we go to places he knows of, other times we go to places where my girl and I go.
Every place we go is wonderful. Even on a rainy day... as long as it ain't a cold rain. I don't want to sit in the truck all day... this is why I need a 4x4 van... I need room to move.
mowmud

Re: Chainsaws

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 am

I've been doing a lot of wood cutting this week, and gotten lucky more than once. What I've noticed with chainsaws is that as soon as I feel like I know what I'm doing, I have a near-miss (so far all have been misses...I hope it stays that way). After each miss, I'm usually good for awhile, because I'm extra careful.

Chainsaws are wonderful tools. But just like guns, they're very unforgiving of mistakes and carelessness.
Bkeepr

Postby Red Dave » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:43 pm

Bkeepr wrote:Chainsaws are wonderful tools. But just like guns, they're very unforgiving of mistakes and carelessness.

^^^^ That is a fact. The worst thing you can do is get complacent and start thinking that you are good at running a saw. Over confidence is deadly.

They are a lot like holding a rattlesnake. If you know what you are doing, and are careful, it can be done safely. But one moment of carelessness and it will bite you. Chain saws are a lot the same way.
Red Dave

Postby mowmud » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 am

Chainsaws are fairly predictable. Sure am glad there isn't no rattlesnakes around here. You can have them.
mowmud

Postby nadx » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:08 pm

i just got my first one, used it for about a half hour, never had ran one===18" from home depot craftsman brand.....they are neat but yeah, id imagine ill want to be extra safe !
nadx

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:29 pm

nadx wrote:i just got my first one, used it for about a half hour, never had ran one===18" from home depot craftsman brand.....they are neat but yeah, id imagine ill want to be extra safe !

The best advice I ever saw was in the instruction manual for my first chainsaw. It roughly said:

"Your saw *will* kick back whenever you least expect it; make all of your cuts so that when it does kick back, it doesn't hit you or anybody else."
Bkeepr

Postby nadx » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:58 pm

solid advice
nadx

Postby nadx » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:59 pm

so, I actually went onto youtube and found a video on MY EXACT CHAINSAW! same year and model. watched it because I wanted to learn about the safety features. very interesting. gawd I love youtube.
nadx

Postby positronium » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:44 am

Red Dave wrote:
Bkeepr wrote:Chainsaws are wonderful tools. But just like guns, they're very unforgiving of mistakes and carelessness.

^^^^ That is a fact. The worst thing you can do is get complacent and start thinking that you are good at running a saw. Over confidence is deadly.

They are a lot like holding a rattlesnake. If you know what you are doing, and are careful, it can be done safely. But one moment of carelessness and it will bite you. Chain saws are a lot the same way.
positronium

Postby positronium » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:45 am

Red Dave wrote:

positronium

Postby mowmud » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Ah hah! Pulled Posi out of hiding. Should of known it would take a chainsaw post. One of posi's old quotes is " know your limits, then exceed them".

I didn't even get to see him on Veterans Day yesterday. Tell you what though... I wouldn't recommend exceeding your limits on any chainsaw. Big saw, small saw... the small saw will just leave a smaller wound. You need to go through the learning curve. Figure out what you can do.
mowmud

Postby positronium » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:42 am

When it concerns chainsaws, after 50 years of using one, learning to learn and learning are two things I have learned to learn....
positronium

Postby nadx » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:55 pm

I cant believe I waited until I was 50 to get one...in 3 hours time I accomplished a LOT

took down some stumps, and split some 12 feet telephone poles in half and put them around my fire pit. cant wait to get this thing to the farm and start working on some of the harder paths with trees in the way
nadx

Postby positronium » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:42 am

You're gonna love it......I do... I do 4 wheel trails...
positronium

Postby mowmud » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:14 am

nadx wrote:I cant believe I waited until I was 50 to get one...in 3 hours time I accomplished a LOT

took down some stumps, and split some 12 feet telephone poles in half and put them around my fire pit. cant wait to get this thing to the farm and start working on some of the harder paths with trees in the way
Be careful. They make good benches but if they happen to catch alit, top of the pole will burn readily, If you burn the below ground portion, make sure you stay out of the smoke.
mowmud

Next

Return to General Discussion