Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

Gonna be another of those days...'Bb's thread now. Scroll do

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

Gonna be another of those days...'Bb's thread now. Scroll do

Postby mowmud » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:02 am

down to the latest posts.

Nobody posts. Either I'm totally obnoxious, if you want me to go, just say it. How come nobody posts? You ain't got nothing Kountry to relate

I respect all you good folks. It seems I'm typing to myself most of the time. Need some input.

Talk about the weather, talk about griefs. Heck, even talk about pain in the butt computers. Anything. It don't matter. I like to hear about your dogs, cats, wives or husbands, skunk in the backyard... it don't matter. Where are you all at?
Last edited by mowmud on Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mowmud

Re: Gonna be another of those days...

Postby Bkeepr » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:40 am

mowmud,

I know what you mean. I've recently cut down on posting because it seems nobody cares one way or the other. Even "That's the stupidest thing I've ever read" lets ya know somebody at took the time to read it...and perhaps starts a conversation.

I read your posts, along with all the others. Don't stop posting, they're fun.
Bkeepr

Postby Randy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Not much going on with me.
Doing leaf cleanups. Should be done in a few weeks.
After that I need to get one or both saw mills going and cut some boards for the NY house.
Randy

Postby Bkeepr » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:46 am

Randy wrote:...After that I need to get one or both saw mills going and cut some boards for the NY house.

More than once I've wished I had a sawmill! I've been cutting up blow-downs here for the last month or two, turning them into firewood. Several of them would have made some decent lumber, and several some beautiful "craft lumber" (spalted, etc) for some cabinet maker or artisan, if I'd had the ability to slice it here. Not enough quantity to make it worthwhile hauling it away to a mill, though...
Bkeepr

Postby littleguns » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:57 am

Mowmud, I appreciate your posts and read every one of them. But i know that, to borrow part of a phrase from Hee Haw, if it weren't for mowmud we'd have no Kountry Life at all.

Between carpal tunnel in my left hand and a bad shoulder on my right, it's sometimes hard to type as much as I'd like. I've been busy the last few days cutting a tree down from atop an old shed. It didn't do much damage that time hasn't already done to the shed, but it was tangled with grape vines that took hours to snip away so I could get at the wood. I finally got it off the shed roof, although the dead main trunk is still standing, broken off at ground level but held upright by grape vines tangled in another tree. My daughter and son-in-law were out yesterday and loaded up their trailer and SUV with another rack and a half of wood for winter 2021-22. They like to stay a year ahead with their supply. I like to leave lots of dead trees for the woodpeckers, squirrels, etc., but some of it has to go before it rots away.

Looking at more outside work for three or four days with record warm temperatures (60s and low 70s) before a 30-degree drop and possibly snow on Tuesday. That will be OK, I guess. I'm about worn out from outside, pre-winter chores. :)
littleguns

Postby mowmud » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:38 am

Any time you can reference me to Hee-Haw, makes me smile.

Grape vines are a pain in the ace. Even the ones that grow the good grapes. The ones that grow in the woods will mess you up if your not alert. Always look up, and around. They'll wipe you out. Spring loaded and such.
mowmud

Postby Salmoneye » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:35 am

I am in a funk much of the time, so I figure I shouldn't spread it to others...

Shout out to Randy!

Good to see another long hair in here now and then...
Salmoneye

Location: The Spooky House At The End Of The Lane With Grass Growing Down The Middle

Postby littleguns » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:52 pm

mowmud wrote:
Grape vines are a pain in the ace. Even the ones that grow the good grapes. The ones that grow in the woods will mess you up if your not alert. Always look up, and around. They'll wipe you out. Spring loaded and such.

I was brush-hogging on my 8N many years ago and got caught by a vine between two trees. It jerked me back so far I had a bruise on my lower back from the steel seat pan. I'm lucky I didn't get jerked off and mowed. :o
littleguns

Postby Bamabear » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:03 pm

I just got back from Gatlinburg, every year My daughter , granddaughter and great granddaughter and me go , we have such a wonderful time, but the walking so much really got to my legs. lol... I love the mountains, and this will probably be our last year for a while, My Grand daughter told us she could not try the wine and moonshine tastings, she is 8 weeks pregnant with TWINS!!!!!!!!!! I am so surprised, but I have twins sons, but did not think about her having twins, I pray for an easy time and healthy babies. Lynlee is four,
Bamabear

Postby mowmud » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Bamabear wrote:I just got back from Gatlinburg, every year My daughter , granddaughter and great granddaughter and me go , we have such a wonderful time, but the walking so much really got to my legs. lol... I love the mountains, and this will probably be our last year for a while, My Grand daughter told us she could not try the wine and moonshine tastings, she is 8 weeks pregnant with TWINS!!!!!!!!!! I am so surprised, but I have twins sons, but did not think about her having twins, I pray for an easy time and healthy babies. Lynlee is four,

That is great news Bb. She'll have help from a person used to dealing with twins. You should help where you can, but should not need to become the primary caregiver. Sooner, more than later, you deserve some peace. Do what you want to do. Some folks like to be around family all the time, nothing wrong with that. Me, for one, I love my family, but I don't feel a need to see them everyday, or week for that matter. Once a month is tolerable.
Everybody is different. I'm glad you are happy.
mowmud

Postby positronium » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:06 am

Bkeepr wrote:
Randy wrote:...After that I need to get one or both saw mills going and cut some boards for the NY house.

More than once I've wished I had a sawmill! I've been cutting up blow-downs here for the last month or two, turning them into firewood. Several of them would have made some decent lumber, and several some beautiful "craft lumber" (spalted, etc) for some cabinet maker or artisan, if I'd had the ability to slice it here. Not enough quantity to make it worthwhile hauling it away to a mill, though...
I have to say that they are a fun machine to use.... I have a wood mizer lt15 that I bought used about 10 years ago or so......I have sawed all kinds of different species of trees, bushes and vines with it....Right now I am looking for a large wild grape vine....I am currently in the process of building a closet and I am going to panel at least one wall with some sumac that I milled a few years ago....Did you know that sumac is the only wood that I have found so far that glows different colors under a black light?
positronium

Postby Sid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:35 pm

positronium wrote:
Bkeepr wrote:

I have to say that they are a fun machine to use.... I have a wood mizer lt15 that I bought used about 10 years ago or so......I have sawed all kinds of different species of trees, bushes and vines with it....Right now I am looking for a large wild grape vine....I am currently in the process of building a closet and I am going to panel at least one wall with some sumac that I milled a few years ago....Did you know that sumac is the only wood that I have found so far that glows different colors under a black light?

You must have some giant grapevines to saw them on a Wood Mizer. I did not now that about sumac. Hec I did not now it got big enough to saw for umber. P.S. I can spe it is ust that some etters on my eyboard dont wor .
Sid

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:52 am

positronium wrote:....Right now I am looking for a large wild grape vine.......

I've been chain-sawing wild grape here like crazy as part of my effort to clean out the woodlot. I've got some old vines that must be 5"-6" in diameter, and a lot that are more than 4". Nasty stuff...

I didn't know that about sumac, either. Interesting.
Bkeepr

Re: Gonna be another of those days...'Bb's thread now. Scroll do

Postby positronium » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:26 am

I wish I did have some large grape vines.... I had some years ago but I cleared them out and cut them for firewood...
I can saw small logs on my wood mizer as easily as large logs down to about 4 inches or so...Sumac seldom grows much bigger than 8 inches around here....It is incredibly beautiful wood though.....I am not sure but I have been told that a sawed grape vine will eventually turn purple..... I would like to saw one just to see....
positronium

Re: Gonna be another of those days...'Bb's thread now. Scroll do

Postby Sid » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:24 am

Have seen big six inch vines around here ust never heard of sawing them on a miII,or burning them for firewood. I have heard of smo ing them. I even tried it once. It was hard to get it to draw, I suc ed reaIIy hard,I suc ed so hard that when the ants ants finaIIy came out I gagged and spit for a Iong time. I never tried that again.
Sid

Next

Return to General Discussion