Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

re, The ISS (Space Station)

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

re, The ISS (Space Station)

Postby Salmoneye » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:50 am

Didn't want to intrude on the other thread where the Space Station was mentioned, but I look for it every chance I get...

Saw it just this Am, and two days this week I caught it twice before sunrise (1.5 hours apart)...

Use this site:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm

Put in your location, and then choose the closest little blue thingy on the map...
It will then give you a page of the upcoming (and recent past) sighting opportunities for you...

Along with the ISS this AM, I saw 3 other individual satellites (including a spinning one that winks in and out), two shooting stars, and a line of 7 of the new Starlink WiFi satellites...

If you are interested in stars along with satellites, download and install Stellarium (it's free)...

http://stellarium.org/

Pretty impressive what it will tell you about every star and satellite...

You can also use the website, but it is slower on older hardware...

https://stellarium-web.org/
Salmoneye

Location: The Spooky House At The End Of The Lane With Grass Growing Down The Middle

Re: re, The ISS (Space Station)

Postby Bkeepr » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:35 am

My oldest son is (like me) a space geek, but he's taken it to a whole 'nuther level-- has a ton of money invested in telescopes and electronic tracking hardware for them, etc etc. He's taken some pretty phenonenal amateur photos of nebulae and such.

AAANYWAAAY, I just shared your post with him just in case he wasn't aware of the websites you mentioned; I wasn't. Thanks.
Bkeepr

Postby Coffee » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:07 am

I figure from looking at images of the Great Lakes from the ISS, the recent morning that I saw it, an astronaut on the space station, if looking out the window at the view of Earth, could have seen all five Great Lakes and maybe even the Atlantic Ocean. It was a very clear morning. At 5 miles per second, it would cover the 100 miles to Madison from where I am in about 20 seconds and the 180 miles to Chicago in maybe 36 seconds. Of course, I was never good at math.
Coffee

Postby Bamabear » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:36 pm

nice to watch
Bamabear

Postby positronium » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Spacex launch was nothing short of beautiful
positronium

Return to General Discussion