Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

thanksgiving pretty much messed up this year due

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

thanksgiving pretty much messed up this year due

Postby nadx » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:58 pm

to the kung flu

just found out my brothers wife has covid

him and her wanted everyone to come to their place for thanksgiving
(we had been hosting it last 3 years)

so if she is quarantine for 10 days or so-------looks like our plans just changed

it was ok, really was not looking forward to being in a big family gathering---still Crazy year continues
nadx

Re: thanksgiving pretty much messed up this year due

Postby littleguns » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:19 am

The "powers that be" in Minnesota have strongly suggested that Thanksgiving family gatherings be kept to a minimum. A right-leaning friend of mine sent a picture of police using a battering ram to knock open a door, with the caption "Don't tell Gov. Walz we bought a 20-pound turkey." :lol:
Last edited by littleguns on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
littleguns

Postby positronium » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 am

Same here......Out of precaution...
positronium

Postby Lightening Bug » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Ours has changed too. Usually get together with Stony Jim's son and daughter-in-law, not this year.

I'll miss seeing them.

Take care. :D
Lightening Bug

Postby Bamabear » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:27 am

my daughter, granddaughter and her daughter and hubby, son and two grandsons, and brother and niece, are coming, daughter will get off of quarinteen but I still will wear a mask......
Bamabear

Postby littleguns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 am

Minnesota update: The governor a few days ago decreed that all social gatherings (however that is defined) are banned until mid-December, including in-home events that involve anyone but members of the immediate household. I guess that means my kids and grandkids can't stop by to see me. So I'm stuck with my wife and one indoor cat. I'm not clear, under the new rules, whether my outdoors cats can be invited in for a quick look around the porch.

I've never been a big social-gathering kind of guy, even as a child, so I will get by. But, gosh, some of these unilateral decrees in the name of fending off COVID are beginning to feel pretty stern. :o

(FWIW, other than the necessary grocery and cat-food runs my wife and I haven't gone anywhere for months. My cats seem to be following a similar pattern.)
littleguns

Postby Red Dave » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:38 am

We have never had huge gatherings at Thanksgiving here anyway, so we will do pretty much the same as we always have. Just the two of us, plus 2 kids and the youngest daughters friend. We have been in contact all through this, so it is not really any bigger gathering than it was for any other holidays this year.

Our worthless Governor and his ugly girlfriend, the Secretary of Health, are telling everybody that we may not have large gatherings, but they have not expressed disapproval for large funerals of people they consider important, or large gatherings of rioters.

Therefore, we will be having a memorial service for a particularly memorable turkey that passed away recently, followed by riots protesting the fact that there will only be one pumpkin pie available to eat.

I expect there to be looting of the turkey and filling leftovers to send some home with the kids, and if somebody loots my piece of pumpkin pie, there may be threats of violence.
Red Dave

Postby screamer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Well, Mrs got it 10 days ago. And I got it 3 days later. We both have been taking a lot of D3. I have been drinking a pint of tonic water a day anyway for cramps. Neither of us sick enough for hospital. In fact, I go through periods in which I feel fine, and 30 minutes later, I am cuoghing and wheezing. So anyway, it seems thanksgiving will be a bust.
screamer

Postby Red Dave » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 pm

screamer wrote:Well, Mrs got it 10 days ago. And I got it 3 days later. We both have been taking a lot of D3. I have been drinking a pint of tonic water a day anyway for cramps. Neither of us sick enough for hospital. In fact, I go through periods in which I feel fine, and 30 minutes later, I am cuoghing and wheezing. So anyway, it seems thanksgiving will be a bust.

If I may ask; do you know where/how you contracted it?
Red Dave

Postby screamer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Mrs is a nurse at the local hospital. About half her coworkers have already had it. Figured it was just a matter of time. Things are so tight at the hospital right now, they are paying an unprecedented 2.5 x hourly for overtime shifts. So if the normal rate is $30 / hour, they are currently paying $75/hour for over time. Now that might involve caring for positive patients. One nurse just left for somewhere out in the mid west. Contract temporary nursing paying 7K a week, but the employer let it be known, don't expect to come back to work here.
screamer

Postby Pitch1 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:50 am

NADX, that termination is racist and I find it offensive!.
As far as the COVID 19 virus, yes it has messed up Thanksgiving. Instead of our 42 person gathering, we will have just 8 of us
Please though no matter your political feelings please watch your expression.
I hope you just thought you were being edgy and politically current, but make no mistake, that characterization is ugly and racist.
Pitch1

Postby Coffee » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:26 am

I've had my coffee and am on an even keel right now. There have been some awful, offensive things posted on this Forum. Often in the past nobody has spoken up about them. I know I can come across as disagreeable (insert your own adjective here), but I mean no harm. Bottom line: what another person writes here is their responsibility. They have to live with it. I can't control what I see here. You write it, you own it. Same goes for me. The one person who CAN control words here is the moderator. Also, thank you Kim and Chris for the Forum.
Coffee

Postby Red Dave » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 am

Pitch1 wrote:NADX, that termination is racist and I find it offensive!.
As far as the COVID 19 virus, yes it has messed up Thanksgiving. Instead of our 42 person gathering, we will have just 8 of us
I hope you just thought you were being edgy and politically current, but make no mistake, that characterization is ugly and racist.

Wow! Talk about a snowflake!

Just who are you to decide what is and isn't racist? Being offended is a choice. You chose to be offended.

Just who voted you to the position of forum enforcer of political correctness?

I find political correctness to be ugly and racist.

George Carlin puts it best:

So take your fascism somewhere else.
Red Dave

Postby screamer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:55 am

Some of you posted about family gatherings. One of my high school friends was the youngest of 11 children. His mother was a wonderful cook. Now some of his nephews and nieces was a year or two older than my friend. His fathe built a special kitchen in the basement and an area like a banquet hall in the rest of the basement. One thanksgiving evening I stopped by to pick him up. He said they had 72 total for thanksgiving and his sister Mary and her family couldn't make it.
screamer

Postby Sid » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:02 am

Pitch1 wrote:NADX, that termination is racist and I find it offensive!.

WeII I find Your stat ement to be equaIIY offensive . PS. can anybody guess what eys on my eyboard don't wor.
Sid

Next

Return to General Discussion