Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

two kitties adopted us

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

two kitties adopted us

Postby nadx » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:03 pm

opened the garage door 3 weeks again and in strolled two cute kittens...orange cats :o

been with us ever since--man they sure like to eat and poop in the litter box lol :lol:

we already had one cat,,,,,she is not as excited! :?

garage will be totally mice free though ha! :lol:

daughter (who LOVES cats) was super happy when she got back from college :)

assume someone dumped them, and they made it up to our house
nadx

Re: two kitties adopted us

Postby littleguns » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:05 am

Many of my nicest cats -- including two of the seven I have now -- have been strays or ones that were dumped. My current two who "just showed up" were feral and semi-feral (one of each) when they came into my life. One accepted me pretty quickly after learning I provided plenty of food, heat lamps and heated water; I am sure he was socialized to some extent as a kitten. The other was apparently sheltering in a neighbor's shed but often appeared under my bird feeders, surviving on sparrows and suet the birds dropped. He was wild as heck. When I would see him, I would take canned food to sit under the feeders. He would flee in terror, but he learned that "kitty-kitty-kitty" meant food was waiting for him to return, and in two or three minutes he would show up from hiding. It took me more than seven months of morning and evening feeding before he calmed down enough to let me handle him.

Once both of the visitors got calm enough to let me hold them, I took them in for shots and neutering. Today, the semi-feral is a great outdoors cat who is friends with other cats and people alike. The feral has become my only indoor cat (wife is allergic, or so she claims). He prefers to spend days in all but the worst weather outdoors with my other cats, but at night he lies on his towel on the couch or on my lap and watches TV with us until I put him in the heated porch in late evening.

Take good care of your two new orange kitties. The may become some of your best friends ever.

FWIW, I baby my cats terribly. As I write this, it's about 20 degrees outside. I have two heat lamps, a heat mat and a heated water bowl going in three insulated dog houses by my deck. In my garage, I have two heat mats and two more heat lamps, plus heated water. Food is available 24/7. As outdoors cats go, they have a pretty good life -- perpetual food, water and heated shelter, plus total freedom. Did I mention I baby them? :lol:
littleguns

Postby mowmud » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:40 pm

Cats are cool. My house and garage have been dog proofed for many years, Big lummoxes'. Any thing waist down is protected.

Well a cat doesn't play by dog rules... cats fly. The cat knocks over stuff I thought was well protected. He gets around.

I may be down to my only cat soon. My dog is getting bad. He is older by two years than any Old English Sheepdog I've ever had. He is showing all the classic signs that all the others did. I think he has about 2 weeks. Gotta decide if I'm gonna go and have him put down or just let him ride it out.

I birthed this dog... I've known him every second of his life. Gonna miss him, but I don't like seeing him in pain. :(
mowmud

Postby littleguns » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:56 pm

mowmud wrote: My dog is getting bad. He is older by two years than any Old English Sheepdog I've ever had. He is showing all the classic signs that all the others did. I think he has about 2 weeks. Gotta decide if I'm gonna go and have him put down or just let him ride it out.

I birthed this dog... I've known him every second of his life. Gonna miss him, but I don't like seeing him in pain. :(

It's so hard to lose these good friends that we've known for years. Regarding putting a dog down, I've always hoped they would die in their sleep.

Never happens :( .

I wait until they are showing obvious discomfort or simply can't get up to pee and poop. Quality of life issues.

The last one I lost (couple of years ago) was a 17-year-old yellow Lab, which is ancient as Labs go. I nursed her along with lots of tender care from February (when she first collapsed) into September, when she finally couldn't stay on her feet to eat or pee or poop even after I helped her get up. I paid a big fee to have a vet come to my place to put her down rather than haul her to a vet, which she hated. As I waited for the vet to arrive, I fed her Angus roast beef. She couldn't eat it on her own but gobbled it down when I literally helped her get it into her mouth. I felt I did everything I could possibly do for her right up to the last peaceful minute on clean grass in warm September sunshine.

Do what you can for your old friend. Just don't let him die slowly in pain, please.
littleguns

Postby Coffee » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:32 pm

Just last night I watched a long video (about one hour) on 'youtube,' called "The Dying Process: Letting Your Pet Die Naturally," by Pippi Peterson. The lady's 16 year old dog passes. Her observations are a lot like what little I have seen. I'm not recommending anyone take a look at this video and I'm not saying don't watch it, either. I like happy topics as much as anyone. Anyway, there's synchronicity on this 'Forum.' We have similar experiences. Maybe it's why I stick around.
Coffee

Postby nadx » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:22 pm

thanks all.....kittys are still doing fine here===ill try to post pics...they are still HEALTHY eaters! good reading what y'all posted
nadx

Postby littleguns » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 am

nadx wrote:thanks all.....kittys are still doing fine here===ill try to post pics...they are still HEALTHY eaters! good reading what y'all posted

Some cats take a long time to accept new surroundings, but it sounds as if your new mini-herd is doing well. I appreciate getting the update; I spend way too much time and energy worrying about the welfare of cats :) .
littleguns

Postby Doris~GC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:48 pm

We have three cats, by accident LOL
We found this scrawny skinny cat in our pen where we have the trash cans out of sight.
She seemed pretty tame for a feral cat. The 4 kittens she had the only thing you could see was their back side
going through the fence because they were scared to death.

We continued to put food and water out for her. Well darn the next thing I know she was bringing around kittens again.
That litter we managed to find homes for.
We made an appointment for spaying for her. Lo and behold she had another litter before the date of her spay.

Now Momma Cat is spayed, she finishes raising those kittens. My husband builds two little houses to sleep in.
He insulated them.

I would heat up a corn bag and put it in the houses to warm them up, those cats would crawl in and not move all night.
They were doing great.
Some jerk had been trapping cats. Needless to say two of ours got trapped and taken to animal shelter. I just by chance seen 1 of them on their
web site.

We went and picked them up they didn't charge us, but we gave them a nice donation.

We moved them inside.

I do know the neighborhood is overrun with squirrels. Never had that problem when cats were safe outside.

I know Momma Cat is no longer skinny. Now we call her Kit Kit. I swear that cat looked totally ticked off when we used Momma to call her.
I know it sounds like I'm nuts!!!!

Before the old man that was trapping them was taking them to an area between the river and the waterway that was dug for barges to get through this area because the river was not deep enough for passage.

He would take them over there never to be seen again because of the coyotes that lived on the island.

Have a good one
Doris~GC
Doris~GC

Return to General Discussion