Country Living    Country Living, Country Skills
Country People

KountryLife.com - A Country Living Resource and Community

Menu on/off

What has COVID caused you to miss?

The place to talk with others about topics related to country life and rural living. Ask a question, help with an answer or just share some of your ideas and experiences.

What has COVID caused you to miss?

Postby littleguns » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:51 am

Sitting here waiting for the sun to warm things up enough for me to do more chainsaw work, I realized it's the Tuesday when I should be recovering from my twice-a-year, 1,400-mile round trip to the "world's largest gunshow" in Tulsa, OK. But the virus caused both the April and November shows to be canceled, the first cancellations of that show in more than 60 years. My prepaid show table awaits me if/when the virus ever allows the show to go on, but I feel a twinge of nostalgia as I realize that my old gunshow buddy, with whom I attended the show more than 20 times, died two years ago less than a week after we got back from the November trip.

Anyway, it got me thinking about events the virus has cause me to miss. I'm thinking of specific, planned, scheduled events, not just routine family visits and shopping trips. So since it all began last winter, I have seen the cancellation of both Tulsa gunshows, Minnesota's two biggest gunshows, many smaller gun shows, a huge spring tractor swap meet, a nearby village's annual city-wide yard-sale season kickoff, the church Easter celebration, my university's graduation ceremony, a nearby fall car swap meet, and yet to come (or NOT come), the annual torturous Black Friday sales events where I have been known to be dumb enough to stand in line for several hours in sub-freezing weather just to score a great deal on tools I don't need, and .. the list of canceled events gets longer all the time.

So my question to you: What specific events has COVID caused you to miss?
littleguns

Re: What has COVID caused you to miss?

Postby kyle18 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 am

i use to sing at nursing homes and assisted living places for a year i would sing with them about 7 songs then my wife would give a small devotion and then i would sing about 7 sond to them they loved it and we were BLESSED - but it`s been about 35 weeks since we have been allowed to do this and now with BIDEN maybe never again
kyle18

Postby Bkeepr » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:07 pm

I’m not sure that Jivy, my oldest gundog, didn’t die because the restrictions at the time he first got sick didn’t permit us to take him to the vet. We normally would have taken him sooner than we did...ultimately there wasn’t enough time to get a diagnosis before I felt he was suffering so much I had him euthanized. I still think of him every day. 2020 is a truly crappy year.
Bkeepr

Postby Randy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Concerts and plays and seeing friends. Have a couple concerts coming up next spring and summer. Not sure if I'll go or not.
Didn't go to the NY Farm Show last February and if they have it this year I probably won't go.
Randy

Postby Pitch1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Nothing at all important enough for me to risk death!
Pitch1

Postby mowmud » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:48 pm

Crazy times we are living through. Crazy, yes. Simple protections.
mowmud

Postby Patria » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:12 pm

littleguns, I was to depart for the Netherlands on the 18th of April to stay with my in-laws for a couple of months, and as you know all travel was canceled.

Hopefully we will be able to resume our normal lives soon.
Patria

Postby kyle18 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 pm

can`t see anything happening soon - once BIDEN takes over he`s gonna shut everything down - gonna be a different world
kyle18

Postby Bkeepr » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:37 am

kyle18 wrote:can`t see anything happening soon - once BIDEN takes over he`s gonna shut everything down - gonna be a different world

With vaccines available that are >90% efficacious, as soon as numbers of folks get vaccinated—probably by April or so, we’ll see few restrictions at all—maybe just mandatory masks in public.
Bkeepr

Postby Bamabear » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:13 am

concerts here , we had free ones , got to see a lot , but none this year
Bamabear

Postby Red Dave » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:11 am

Bkeepr wrote:
kyle18 wrote:can`t see anything happening soon - once BIDEN takes over he`s gonna shut everything down - gonna be a different world

With vaccines available that are >90% efficacious, as soon as numbers of folks get vaccinated—probably by April or so, we’ll see few restrictions at all—maybe just mandatory masks in public.

Red Dave

Postby mowmud » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 pm

True that, RD. I'll just maintain my current way of life. I guess I've been living in a state of quarantine my entire life.

It is a very serious threat out there... and you can't see it.
mowmud

Postby positronium » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:55 pm

I miss taking my GF out to dinner on Saturday night.....(a lot) but it is what it is...
positronium

Postby Coffee » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:10 pm

I made an appointment with an optometrist, just about when the virus was starting to rev up, back in early March, about. A few days later, everything was shutting down. I called the office to let them know I didn't think I should keep the appointment. Nobody answered the phone. I really need to see an optometrist, although my vision is quite satisfactory. Other than that, I haven't missed a thing.
Coffee

Return to General Discussion